Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
heh. it's "adams morgan."

i hope you visited madam's organ!

next time you're there, hop on the metro into virginia and visit clarendon/ballston or old town alexandria. awesome nightlife (moreso clarendon).

ybor gets a bad rap because it's surrounded by a ghetto, but as long as you use common sense and stick to the main areas you're fine. ybor reminds me of adams morgan with a bit of tropical flair. lots of fun.
Adams Morgan was nice. Only issue is parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Adams Morgan was nice. Only issue is parking.
no doubt.

i found it easier to ride the metro to woodley park and walk from there.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
When I visited a friend in Denver in 2011 I had already heard good things about the nightlife (Lo Do area and 16th Street specifically), so I was not surprised. I was also in the suburban town of Arvada one night and found its "Old Town" area to be more lively than I had expected.

I admit I am a bit biased about Minneapolis where I grew up, but when I visited in 2005 it had slightly more going on than I had expected (especially Hennepin and First avenues). It is similar to Denver in that several pro sports teams play downtown and that probably helps the bar scene. Both also have good performing arts theaters/facilities. In the suburbs Stillwater, a charming river town east of St. Paul, has a good scene, too.

I am surprised by the comments about Boston. I have not visited yet, but always assumed it had a good nightlife.

I've been to San Diego a few times and was surprised how its nightlife has improved in the last decade or so. The Gas Lamp area downtown is the place to be at night. No doubt the Padres' Petco Park being built downtown was a factor, too.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM

778 posts, read 997,583 times
Disappointment - Boston and San Francisco.

Kinda boring, both seem to close up shop early, the people/culture isnt as crazy.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I think Atlanta's nightlife is kind of overrated now. It used to be that "Buckhead" was the place to be, but all the bars and clubs either got priced out of the neighborhood or hurt by some of the ordinances passed by the city of Atlanta in the last 10 years, so now the nightlife is very decentralized across the metropolitan area. There are still things to do; you just have to drive a lot farther to do them than before.

As for underrated nightlife, I say Nashville. It has a healthy cluster of restaurants, bars and clubs along Broadway and up the Cumberland River. I've been very bullish on Nashville becoming "the next Austin," so to speak. It's a state capital; it's home to a major university, and music is an integral part of its culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post

Kinda boring, both seem to close up shop early, the people/culture isnt as crazy.
Yes, Chinatown in San Francisco was all closed by sunset when I was there, and this was on a Saturday night, no less. I was expecting a lot of nighttime ambiance there, but there was virtually nothing.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Seattle has a lousy nightlife. The Washington State government with a statewide 2 AM curfew definitely sucks. I can't believe how bad their night scene is. Seattle is not even close to being a 24 hour city. I was so use to getting to the club by 12 am, but I basically have to be there at 9 or 10 which is dumb.

I use to complain about Fulton county in Atlanta closing at 3 or 4. But wow, Seattle is hands down one of the worst.

I hope when I visit San Fran the scene isn't as bad. I was shocked how bad Seattle's nightlife was. I have high expectations for San Francisco. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post

Those are the best choices, for cities with the worst cost:entertainment ratio.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Biggest surprise for me is Orlando Florida.

The biggest letdown for me is San Francisco CA.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I was surprised that Louisville had so much nightlife.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I have always liked the Adams Morgan (DC). Always had a blast there.

LA/OC has a very disappointing nightlife. In OC most clubs empty out before midnight. The LA club scene is full of Douchebags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City