Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Block Island or Padre Island?
Block Island 5 38.46%
Padre Island 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times

Advertisements

Which over all is the Better vacation destination?
Scenery?
Beaches
Non-swimming outdoor activities
Accessability
Food
Character
quaintness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,271 times
i live in eastern MA and i've never been to block island. Been to cape cod, nantucket, all over the north and south shore, and only heard one or two people talk about block island in 8 years of living here. it can't be that good.

I hear about south padre all the time, so it gets my vote.

Yes, i know my logic is flawed and not 100% conclusive, but it has to say SOMETHING when i live 30 miles from one location, 1800 miles from the other, and the 2nd one gets more recognition.

block island wins for quaintness though i'm sure, since south padre is a very famous spring break/party spot

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,232,781 times
I've been to Block Island a couple times, it's not bad. Not an amazing place, but it's pretty, has some interesting geography, and some historic buildings and such (including a couple 19th century light houses). It has a small town on it, and attracts lots of tourists.

Never been to Texas though, aside from airport connections, so I can't say how Block Island compares to Padre Island. Wikipedia tells me that Padre Island is way bigger than Block Island though, coming in at 200+ square miles vs. 10 square miles for block island. Padre Island is also warmer, no doubt.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I've been to Block Island a couple times, it's not bad. Not an amazing place, but it's pretty, has some interesting geography, and some historic buildings and such (including a couple 19th century light houses). It has a small town on it, and attracts lots of tourists.

Never been to Texas though, aside from airport connections, so I can't say how Block Island compares to Padre Island. Wikipedia tells me that Padre Island is way bigger than Block Island though, coming in at 200+ square miles vs. 10 square miles for block island. Padre Island is also warmer, no doubt.
I messed up the Title, it's suppose to be South Padre Island, that's the Tourist part of it, Padre Island is a Nat. park I believe.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Never been to Padre but I've been to Block Island a few times. It's beautiful. I prefer going there instead of Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard. Though smaller its less crowded, not overridden with tourists, less expensive, and every bit as beautiful. The northern tip of the island has an awesome beach where two currents meet and waves wash up on both sides of the sandbar. There are also a couple pretty lighthouses on the island, some impressive bluffs and cliffs, some fresh water ponds to swim in, and it's perfect for biking. I spent a birthday there once, I finished the day off with a New England clam bake dinner and a Long Island Ice Tea on the front porch of a Victorian hotel overlooking the harbor at sunset. What a perfect day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City