Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That just makes them invisible.
Funny!

LA is definitely a "white collar center," but there is in fact a huge blue-collar sector, either in higher- or lower-paying jobs.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM

269 posts, read 416,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Funny!

LA is definitely a "white collar center," but there is in fact a huge blue-collar sector, either in higher- or lower-paying jobs.
Its more like NYC than it is Philly.

Id say Philly is the definitive blue collar city.

Its a huge part of NYC and LA as well, but there are white collar industries that are much more prominent.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
IMO, the only two cities/metros worth considering is DC and San Francisco. I would place DC above San Francisco but you can't go wrong either way.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree absolutely; but equally absurd (though probably goated for the response to a large extent) was the claim that the port o LA is 32 times the size of Philly
True, though I think the claim was made with good intentions. Seems like the stat you posted is more relevant.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
I agree absolutely; but equally absurd (though probably goated for the response to a large extent) was the claim that the port o LA is 32 times the size of Philly

LA is a large container port (much has to do with where the trade comes and goes) while Philly is much less a container port. Large Auto importer, Oil (after Houston and NOLA) and pretty sure is largest oil port in the US actually; also large exporter of grain and chemicals (chemicals more two way) and believe it or not is the second largest produce port in the US; a huge imprter of S Amercian produce oddly enough.

I have seen this done a lot as the ports of Philly are typically listed seperately as they are in different towns yet are all aligned right along and next to each other on the DE river and bay from a little North of Philly down to just south of Wilmington DE

But to say LA does not have a strong blue collar element is just ill informed
I used the "infallible" Wikipedia as my source. So I stand corrected.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I used the "infallible" Wikipedia as my source. So I stand corrected.

As did I; on quick read most dont realize all of the seperate ports that comprise the broader port of Philly (actually pretty compact in reality) but there are more reliable stats which show a similar story

Agree with you on the Blue Collar aspects though, absolutely just LA and Philly are roughly the same size port albeit a different mix of goods

Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM

398 posts, read 751,097 times
Saying LA is blue collar is like saying NYC is blue collar. There are millllllions of blue collar people in both these places. They aren't blue collar cities. Buffalo and Fresno are blue collar cities.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Actually believe they are both pretty comparable

this is old (2004 but grabbed the link to show some quick numbers) and the numbers for both are up

On gross tonage

LA
Long Beach 80 million
Port of LA 52 Million
Total (may have missed some here): 132 Million

Philadelphia
Port of Philly 35 Mil
Paulsboro NJ 31 Mil
Marcus Hook PA 25 Mil
New Castle DE 8 Mil
Camden NJ 7 Mil
Wilmington DE 5 Mil
Penn Manor PA 3 Mil
Chester PA 2 Mil
Total 118 Million

Both have grown; think last year the DRPA said a little over 140 Million gross tons for the ports of Philadelphia (they are split among quite a few municipalities)

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philly is a much larger port than most people realize; actually just slightly smaller than the Port of NYC/NJ and by far the second largest on the East Coast
I think most of those ports either remained the same or shrank.

I know NY/NJ port did. Here are last year's numbers. Long Beach shrank, while LA grew

http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/Stati...%20TONNAGE.pdf

Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM

269 posts, read 416,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Saying LA is blue collar is like saying NYC is blue collar. There are millllllions of blue collar people in both these places. They aren't blue collar cities. Buffalo and Fresno are blue collar cities.
Bingo.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think most of those ports either remained the same or shrank.

I know NY/NJ port did. Here are last year's numbers. Long Beach shrank, while LA grew

http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/Stati...%20TONNAGE.pdf
Looks like Philly combined was at 132 based on this link and quick math
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City