Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I think Philadelphia should be 4th city..
I agree.

First: New York
Second: Los Angeles
Third: Chicago, San Francisco, Washington
Fourth: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia

Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i never said philly wasnt important - it definitely was and is. I just challenge your logic its responsible for any history. It was the location of important historical events - it isnt the reason for them. Location can be a contributing factor but it wasnt the main factor.

It is also apparent that most people seem to disagree with your logic, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It seems there is no way to change your mind, except to build a time machine and go back in time, which seems unlikely.
Most people? I guess you and H-town constitute most people now?

I think most people would agree that you can't arbitrary make major changes to history and then claim to know what would have happened in an imagined alternate reality.

You act as though you have some type of competing logic that goes against mine. You are just making assumptions about what "might" have happened in an imagined alternate reality where Philadelphia didn't exist. There is no logic. There is no factual basis. There is no value.

Imagine if everyone argued this way:
Yea sure NYC is the biggest city in America, but I'm not impressed, if NYC never existed all of those people probably would have just lived in Newport RI and it wouldn't change a thing!

I mean sure Houston is extreamly important to aerospace and hi-tech firms but if Houston never existed they could have just as easily put the space center in Omaha Nebraska and it wouldn't change a thing!

Do you not see the absurdity of such statements?

We discuss and go back and forth about a lot of things here on c-d, arguing about imagined alternate realities though might just be the nadir.

Sorry but history has only unfolded in one way. If you want to discuss what has actually happened or what you think will happen in the future this is the place. If you want to discuss what happens in an alternate reality I suggest you try and relocate to that reality... the people there will be less bewildered.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, so those living in former colonies owe you a debt of thanks. The rest of us, meh.

I really can't find a way to re-conciliate the two halves of 18montclair. I mean how can someone who regularly provides such great information and who brings to this forum tons of raw data, makes his own tables, charts etc... hold a view like the one you have above.

You're obviously very smart. Do you really think the creation of the United States isn't important to the western half of the United States?

Even if you don't care about Philadelphia's revolutionary contributions, what about Philadelphia creating the computer? You don't think that has had a profound affect on California in particular?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Yes, so those living in former colonies owe you a debt of thanks. The rest of us, meh.
So you think California, and the West Coast would be Just as important if it was part of Spain (or Mexico) and if the East Was Part of Britain, Chances are America would be like Africa, suffering from the complete expolitation of its resources until ~1960

Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadelphia is the second most important city in the USA. Its monumentous historical, cultural and industrial accomplishments only surpassed by NYC over the long haul.
You could easily argue that Boston, or DC are the 2nd Most important city in US History.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You could easily argue that Boston, or DC are the 2nd Most important city in US History.
2nd most important overall due to their history? or second most important in terms of history... i'm guessing behind philadelphia?

Either way I disagree, not because I don't think both are very important.. but I don't necessarily view Boston and Washington d.c. as having similarly important history. I just wouldn't group them together like that.

I mean as important as DC has been over the previous two centuries as the capital, unless Boston totally falls off the map, I don't think D.C. ever catches up to Boston. Boston had well over a century head start and was so important in that time. That can't be overlooked.

To me historically speaking in America the top two spots are unquestioned with Philly and Boston, their order could be argued endlessly but they are A LOT closer to each other than any other city is to them.

I'd probably place D.C. in that next tier along with NYC... after that it starts getting really nebulous and confusing.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
I agree.

First: New York
Second: Los Angeles
Third: Chicago, San Francisco, Washington
Fourth: Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia
i'd agree w/this

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
2nd most important overall due to their history? or second most important in terms of history... i'm guessing behind philadelphia?

Either way I disagree, not because I don't think both are very important.. but I don't necessarily view Boston and Washington d.c. as having similarly important history. I just wouldn't group them together like that.

I mean as important as DC has been over the previous two centuries as the capital, unless Boston totally falls off the map, I don't think D.C. ever catches up to Boston. Boston had well over a century head start and was so important in that time. That can't be overlooked.

To me historically speaking in America the top two spots are unquestioned with Philly and Boston, their order could be argued endlessly but they are A LOT closer to each other than any other city is to them.

I'd probably place D.C. in that next tier along with NYC... after that it starts getting really nebulous and confusing.
I think one could Argue that DC was more important than Philly and Boston since ~1850 by after the usurped the power to deicde which states could have slaves and which couldn't Changing the Economic prospects for those repsctive states, and then with the growth of the Federal Gov Post Lincoln.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
I agree.
Philly helped with the original 13, not so much with what came after that.

Philly posters think too much of their history. It was important but how long into the future are they extending it?

If it wasn't for Philly there would be no cars?

If it wasn't for philly there would be no skyscrapers?
If it wasn't for Philly there would be no computers?

common, they take it too far

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree.
Philly helped with the original 13, not so much with what came after that.

Philly posters think too much of their history. It was important but how long into the future are they extending it?

If it wasn't for Philly there would be no cars?

If it wasn't for philly there would be no skyscrapers?
If it wasn't for Philly there would be no computers?

common, they take it too far
The First true computer how we know it today was created at UPENN, in Philly, though RADAR existed before, which is the base of Computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City