U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important metro?
Atlanta 92 40.17%
Detroit 37 16.16%
Miami 22 9.61%
Seattle 63 27.51%
All close 15 6.55%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:13 PM

4,469 posts, read 4,756,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
"Without an Atlanta there would have been no Sherman'S March to Sea.One of the most epic important battles of the Civil War.
There would be no Gone With The Wind which was written aout the famous battle'"

Well actually Sherman was going to adopt a scorched earth policy regardless of what particular cities were in his way at this point in the war and it started with Atlanta already being captured. Arguably the capture of the larger Savannah (at the time) was more decisive. So I don't think a hypothetical Confederacy without Atlanta would have played out that differently. Its important to remember Atlanta was a relatively small city during the civil war and neither the largest city in Georgia or its capital.
Incorrect

Atlanta was small city town during the civil war. But the city punch above it's weight in importance and infustucture during the time. It was home to the Atlanta Rolling Mill Which was the second most productive mill in South during the civil war.

Most cities in south Such as New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston were never industrial cities. Atlanta through a small town was founded by the railroad, and because of it's location became important in Manufacturing and the logistical rail road hub of the south.

Atlanta is logistic hub of the south east. Even during the civil war when Atlanta was town that huge significance relating to the rail road.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eracy-1861.jpg

The Battle of Atlanta was important not just for strategical advancement of the Union but also political as it happen during an election year.
History Channel. Atlanta Campaign

Quote:
In the summer of 1864, during the U.S. Civil War (1861-65), Union General William T. Sherman faced off against Confederate generals Joseph E. Johnston and John B. Hood in a series of battles in northern Georgia. Sherman’s goal was to destroy the Army of the Tennessee, capture Atlanta and cut off vital Confederate supply lines. While Sherman failed to destroy his enemy, he was able to force the surrender of Atlanta in September 1864,boosting Northern morale and greatly improving President Abraham Lincoln’s re-election bid. With Atlanta under Union control, Sherman embarked on his March to the Sea, which laid waste to the countryside and hastened the Confederacy’s defeat.
And that just Civil War

Atlanta played critical part of the civil right movement.

Booker T. Washington - Atlanta compromise

http://www.american-historama.org/im...ise-speech.jpg

Web du bois, one of the founders on NAACP, Was a professor Atlanta university, Wrote some of his most famous writing while in Atlanta. The Souls of Black Folk, Of Wings of Atlanta
http://www.africanamericantrail.org/...aUniv1909l.jpg

It was the birth place Martin Luther king and headquarter SCLC organization which organize much the civil right movement.
https://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryServi..._94_24&max=500

Seriously Seattle county is name after Atlantan who organize his works across the across in Atlanta, This should tell you tell something.

Last edited by JMT; 09-15-2018 at 07:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:55 PM

304 posts, read 175,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Seriously Seattle county is name after Atlantan who organize his works across the across in Atlanta, This should tell you tell something.
This is not true. They just changed the namesake to MLK in the 80s. From wikipedia:

The county was named after William Rufus King who was Vice President when the Washington Territory was created in 1853. On February 24, 1986, a motion to change the namesake to Martin Luther King Jr.[2] was passed by the King County Council five votes to four.[3][4]

Old 09-15-2018, 01:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,507,247 times
Miami is a two sided coin to me. Internationally I'd say it's the most important due to it's port and dealings with Latin America. Domestically I'd say it ranks at the bottom. For most of Americans it's a beach resort or a jumping off point for a cruise ship.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:20 AM

926 posts, read 408,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
This is not true. They just changed the namesake to MLK in the 80s. From wikipedia:

The county was named after William Rufus King who was Vice President when the Washington Territory was created in 1853. On February 24, 1986, a motion to change the namesake to Martin Luther King Jr.[2] was passed by the King County Council five votes to four.[3][4]
You do know Martin Luther King was born,raised and buried in Atlanta right?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Scott_King.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-15-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 04:27 AM

926 posts, read 408,054 times
Also Atlanta's role in media has not even been discussed.You simply cant downplay its importance and influence.Its booming and will not slow down,Its an industry that is more recession proof as well.

Quote:
Entertainment Weekly

The flood of TV and films into Georgia the past decade has helped lift Atlanta into the top 10 all time of most popular cities where films and TV shows have been filmed.
(That's Top 10 in the world)

Old 09-15-2018, 07:38 AM

4,138 posts, read 2,723,836 times
Domestically, not sure I agree with that.

I started coming to Miami on business 5x/year in 2013 and finally decided to move here from San Diego in December 2016. I found San Diego vastly overrated and Miami underrated. Money was not an issue at all for my leaving SD and I brought my high paying bellwether tech job of 32 years with me.

I am very happy with my decision and moved here because (1) Miami (Brickell) was a cleaner and more modern looking city (talking actual urban city—not a suburban like enclave that pretends to be a city) (2) far fewer homeless; (3) better infrastructure (less potholes and police dispatchers actually answer the phone plus there is a street presence; (4) better groomed (far less of the 9 month beard hipsters) and better dressed with dress code enforcement at nice establishments; (5) major hub airport with nonstop flights to places I vacation; (6) turquoise ocean that I can go in year round without a wetsuit; (7) more pro sports teams; (8) more bang for your buck (larger and newer real estate projects for less money) and (9) no state income tax. (As a single guy, I could also add dramatically better/best looking women).

Besides Miami and LA what other warm weather, cosmopolitan cities on the ocean exist in the US??

It is not for everyone—depending on your education, career path, financial status and—in some instances—ability to speak Spanish, it is not the best place to be for building wealth. If you can transfer here and bring your high paying job and existing wealth with you then it is a great place to live...has its negatives as well but, overall, great place to live if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Miami is a two sided coin to me. Internationally I'd say it's the most important due to it's port and dealings with Latin America. Domestically I'd say it ranks at the bottom. For most of
Americans it's a beach resort or a jumping off point for a cruise ship.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-15-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,568,755 times
I don't get it about Miami, I really don't...

I would argue Atlanta is easily the most important of these four, and Detroit is easily the least important. Miami and Seattle are virtually in the same spot in the middle, with a slight lead to Miami because it was established as an important place longer than Seattle has been, but it's close. Seattle is putting a lot of pressure on Miami, and while still a ways away, could reach Top 10 status sooner...

Miami is catchy, sultry, exciting. Its economy sucks compared to every other city in the Top 10, it has probably the most dramatic quality of life disparities of Top 10 cities. I continue to be mystified as to how anyone can think it's a more important city than Atlanta. Miami is a relevant place. I think the idea and hype of Miami exceeds its reality...

Detroit is the city, if it accelerates in its rebirth, will have the potential to surpass any of the other three. Big "if" game here, but the legacy is there. No major city in America crashed and burned worse than Detroit, and its still a Top 15 city. Even where it is now, it deserves appreciation. If it finds a way to become an economic draw again, its going to become very competitive with these three cities...

Old 09-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Seattle has the world-class institutions University of Washington and Seattle University within city limits - I'd say it beats Miami and maybe even Detroit there. It also gets a fair amount of tourism - I'd venture more than Detroit. In terms of history, Seattle is actually an older city than Miami (1900 populations: Seattle - 80K; Miami - 2K) and I'd argue it has a richer 19th and 20th century history than Miami.

The point is - the three areas where you say Seattle is "outclassed" don't really make sense since you could make a reasonable argument that it's not in last place in any of them among this group.
Lol UW and USeattle are world class institutions based on what? Certainly Seattle is not the education center that Atlanta is...

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

4,138 posts, read 2,723,836 times
I wouldn’t necessarily call or overstate Atlanta as an education center. In terms of prominent universities it has Emory (from which I received my MBA) and GA Tech, followed by “all others” —but is behind NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF Bay Area, LA, possibly on par with N.C. Research Triangle and D.C. It is good but let’s not overstate or award it elite status...if you add in U Ga, 2 hours away and not top tier in most people’s minds, I suppose I could add Philly and surrounding 100-150 mile radius to above list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol UW and USeattle are world class institutions based on what? Certainly Seattle is not the education center that Atlanta is...

Last edited by elchevere; 09-15-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily call Atlanta an education center. In terms of prominent universities it has Emory (from which I received my MBA) and GA Tech—but is behind NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF Bay Area, LA, possibly on par with N.C. Research Triangle and D.C. It is good but let’s not overstate or award it elite status.
I'm saying Atlanta is an education center relative to the cities it is being compared to here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or