U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important metro?
Atlanta 92 40.17%
Detroit 37 16.16%
Miami 22 9.61%
Seattle 63 27.51%
All close 15 6.55%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM

33,700 posts, read 58,117,474 times

Advertisements

I vote for Atlanta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

33,903 posts, read 31,179,578 times
I'll break it down like this:

Internationally--Miami

Domestically--Atlanta

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,475,141 times
Seattle has microsoft,starbucks,castco,amazon and a base for boeing production. All global companies.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

179 posts, read 223,694 times
DETROIT, without doubt because of it's industrial capacity, international trade hub (easy access to world
seafaring routes).

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,406,125 times
While I am a fan of Miami I try to be fair and objective on questions like this one. As a result I think its a tough decision as each has strengths and weaknesses especially when you account for the suggested criteria. So first I think its important to restate that the OP seems to be giving fairly broad regions going out to CSA.

Atlanta's major weakness is that its not a port city. It also has somewhat limited tourism. Its strength especially in this group is its Universities and Wages.

Miami's really doesn't have a major weakness. It's solid in everything. Its strength however is port, transportation, arts and tourism.

Seattle's major weakness is that its really just outclassed in this group by its youngness and size. It has the port, arts, and business. But it lacks history, Universities, and tourism.

Detroit's major weakness is the low wages and rough economy at the moment. Its strength however is because we're going by CSA it includes Ann Arbor the Capital and home of University of Michigan. That's a huge weight in Detroit's favor.

This is really tough. I think Seattle is the least important on this criteria. Haven't quite settled on which I think is most important though between the other 3.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,406,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocisful View Post
DETROIT, without doubt because of it's industrial capacity, international trade hub (easy access to world
seafaring routes).
Easy access to world seafaring routes compared to Seattle and Miami doesn't even make sense.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,010,047 times
Atlanta, hands down. It is much bigger, in terms of METRO pop, it is growing faster, and it's diversified, though manufacturing is not its strong suit.

Detroit has the auto industry, but the plants aren't only in Detroit - they are in KC, Ohio, and in Mexico and Canada. Plus Detroit has a lot of social ills in its core it won't be curing anytime soon. Plus it has, by far, the harshest winter of all these places.

Seattle is where Boeing planes are assembled. For many years, it was a one-horse town. Microsoft and Starbucks changed that, but it isn't Atlanta.

Miami is the port of entry and commerce link to Latin America, but where are they "hiding" the skyline and business locations that support that? All we see are some glitzy high-rise banks downtown, some glitzy high-rise condos on Brickell, and Bayside.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,680,904 times
Domestically I will say Atlanta due to the Airport and things like CNN and other companies based there along with good universities, the CDC, Coco Cola etc..

Internationally I will say Miami due to it being one of the corner-stone commerce gateways of the world and one of the capitals of Latin American in business, transportation and entertainment. It is undoubtly the best known internationally and has the largest tourism industry of the four. The 2nd busiest airport in terms of international passengers in the U.S. and biggest in International cargo. The two largest cruise ship ports in the world. Two large cargo ports. Miami is also the only major city in the US bordered by two National Parks. Miami (1896) is also the youngest city by 27 years, Seattle is the 2nd youngest (1869)

Seattle is pretty decent too with Boeing factory and Microsoft right near by. Two very imporant world companies.

Detroit historically might be very important but now you have Obama-Motors, a company owned by Fiat and thankfully a good runing Company in Ford. Ford obviously the most important historically. But now days I would say out of these four Detriot would be on the bottom. It does have a large airport hub but not compared to Miami or Atlanta. Detroit has some history and has the "Big 3" car companies but thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Miami is the port of entry and commerce link to Latin America, but where are they "hiding" the skyline and business locations that support that? All we see are some glitzy high-rise banks downtown, some glitzy high-rise condos on Brickell, and Bayside.
You think those banks are empty? Some? Miami's skyline is huge. Miami is an important international financial center along with it being a world gateway. Also a large entertainment industry and of course tourism. And home to hundreds of international corporations HQs. They are not just downtown there are places like Coral Gables too.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 03-05-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM

8,701 posts, read 12,677,751 times
I'm surprised Miami and seattle aren't getting more love. They're both damn important, although I agree not as important as the others . Detroit should be pretty close to Atlanta as well. They can both certainly hold their own. This is a pretty tough poll. They all have some very strong importance in different aspects. If I had to chose I would go

1. Atlanta (UPS, Home Depot, Coca-Cola: some pretty damn big companies internationally as well).
2. Detroit for sure (GM- that's all I have to say). GM makes billions upon billions of dollars for this country
3. Seattle (Starbucks?!?! Amazon, some very large retail companies, large medical scene)
4. Miami (U.S. Customs, IDK what else?)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,680,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I'm surprised Miami and seattle aren't getting more love. They're both damn important, although I agree not as important as the others . Detroit should be pretty close to Atlanta as well. They can both certainly hold their own. This is a pretty tough poll. They all have some very strong importance in different aspects. If I had to chose I would go

1. Atlanta (UPS, Home Depot, Coca-Cola: some pretty damn big companies internationally as well).
2. Detroit for sure (GM- that's all I have to say). GM makes billions upon billions of dollars for this country
3. Seattle (Starbucks?!?! Amazon, some very large retail companies, large medical scene)
4. Miami (U.S. Customs, IDK what else?)
See post above. but to say it again and add some:
World commerce gateway, people and goods, air and sea.
International Finance Center, especially fro Latin America
International Corporate center, many companies proably over 100 have international regional HQs in Miami along with companies like Burger King, Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Carib Cruise Lines, Spirit Airlines, Ryder, being based in Miami.
Huge toursim industry.
Big entertainment industry, TV shows, music, movies. (Telemundo, Univision)
Besides for the obvious things like that, Miami is one of the most important aviation centers in the world as are two of the others cities in this list of course ATL and SEA and has random things like this: NAP of the Americas | South Florida Data Center | Tier IV Facility | Terremark
Quote:
Terremark's flagship facility, the NAP of the Americas®, is one of the most significant telecommunications projects in the world. The Tier-IV facility was the first purpose-built, carrier-neutral Network Access Point and is the only facility of its kind specifically designed to link Latin America with the rest of the world.
Miami has been ranked as one of the top-five best interconnected cities in the world, ahead of San Francisco, Chicago and Washington, D.C. Terremark's NAP of the Americas makes Miami the only city in the U.S. where Optical, Ethernet, MPLS, Voice and Internet traffic is handed off in a single location. The NAP of the Americas is located in downtown Miami, an area that has numerous telecommunications carrier facilities, fiber loops, international cable landings and multiple power grids
Not to be forgetten Miami's environmental importance with Everglades National Park one of the most unique ecosystems in the world. Along with a Tropical Coral Reef on the other side in Biscayne National Park.
What "US Customs" means I am not really sure.

(guess I just said the same thing again, but I think I added a bit more ) Miami is more than just the glitz and glamor. It has a lot of growing up to do. Miami's potential is enormous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or