U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important metro?
Atlanta 92 40.17%
Detroit 37 16.16%
Miami 22 9.61%
Seattle 63 27.51%
All close 15 6.55%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,400,155 times

Advertisements

World's top 100 universities 2012: their reputations ranked by Times Higher Education | News | guardian.co.uk

University of Michigan bringing it in strong at #12
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,401,002 times
Atlanta

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM

6,225 posts, read 7,605,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
While I am a fan of Miami I try to be fair and objective on questions like this one. As a result I think its a tough decision as each has strengths and weaknesses especially when you account for the suggested criteria. So first I think its important to restate that the OP seems to be giving fairly broad regions going out to CSA.

Atlanta's major weakness is that its not a port city. It also has somewhat limited tourism. Its strength especially in this group is its Universities and Wages.

Miami's really doesn't have a major weakness. It's solid in everything. Its strength however is port, transportation, arts and tourism.

Seattle's major weakness is that its really just outclassed in this group by its youngness and size. It has the port, arts, and business. But it lacks history, Universities, and tourism.

Detroit's major weakness is the low wages and rough economy at the moment. Its strength however is because we're going by CSA it includes Ann Arbor the Capital and home of University of Michigan. That's a huge weight in Detroit's favor.

This is really tough. I think Seattle is the least important on this criteria. Haven't quite settled on which I think is most important though between the other 3.

Detroit does not have low wages.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM

274 posts, read 623,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Univeristy of Washington at #28 and neither Georgia Tech nor Emory ranked among the top 100.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,441,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Univeristy of Washington at #28 and neither Georgia Tech nor Emory ranked among the top 100.
Umm, Georgia Tech is at #41.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM

274 posts, read 623,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Umm, Georgia Tech is at #41.
It doesn't surprise me, I only briefly glanced at it. It was mainly aimed at the people earlier in the thread that balked at the idea that the University of Washington could compete with the universities in or near Detroit, Atlanta, and Miami

Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM

886 posts, read 1,386,562 times
Georgia tech isnt on the level of UM, UW, UMiami in any sense, GT has an acceptance rate of 79% they practically let everybody in because they are not selective. UM is the best of the group and strong selling point for the Detroit metro area

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,303,275 times
Fast Facts About Higher Education in the Atlanta Region

Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,400,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
It doesn't surprise me, I only briefly glanced at it. It was mainly aimed at the people earlier in the thread that balked at the idea that the University of Washington could compete with the universities in or near Detroit, Atlanta, and Miami
I am impressed, I don't know much about UWashington and as cited earlier in this thread on US News' rankings UWashington is lower than UMiami and Emory. I believe part of this is because US News gives more weight to undergraduate programs and Times Higher Education is largely based on graduate and post doctoral research which for example University of Miami has almost none. I was not aware that UWashington had such a strong Master's program, that's good.

The city I gave the most weight to is University of Michigan and both the Times Higher Education and the US News put it a pretty serious ways ahead of every other school in any of these metros. UWashington and frankly none of the schools in any of these metros can compete with it. There are some select programs that might but overall UMich is a top tier school - The Harvard of the West.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 AM

6,225 posts, read 7,605,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Georgia tech isnt on the level of UM, UW, UMiami in any sense, GT has an acceptance rate of 79% they practically let everybody in because they are not selective. UM is the best of the group and strong selling point for the Detroit metro area

UM is not selective at the undergrad level. UM accepts minorities with sub-par credentials over non-minorities with excellent credentials so the school can increase it's "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or