U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important metro?
Atlanta 92 40.17%
Detroit 37 16.16%
Miami 22 9.61%
Seattle 63 27.51%
All close 15 6.55%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM

18,509 posts, read 29,436,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
It has less to do with people thinking domestically or internationally and everything to do with this site by and large being a joke where people just vote for the same few cities regardless of the poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In this case, I don't think so. Looking at who's doing the voting (which this poll enables you to do) pretty much demonstrates that. It's way more than the Atlanta posters voting for Atlanta.
I agree with Mutiny on this one.

But you are correct in that CD polls are a joke.

In other threads I see a few people asserting that Miami is ahead of Boston, Philly, Houston, DC etc but in others (like this one) it only got a few votes against cities generally thought to be in lower tiers. I mean there are quite a few people who would rank Miami above Philly, Boston etc but so few would rank it above lower cities like Seattle, Detroit, etc.

That is why CD polls are all screwed up. It just depends on how polls are lined up.

1. NY city always wins
2. Seattle, Portland and Denver always does well against larger cities because people who have never been there heard it is great.
3. Vancouver and Montreal are just perfect
4. Sunbelt cities are the reverse of number two.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,080,744 times
Seattle
Miami
Atlanta
Detroit

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,951,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit does not have low wages.
thank you!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,938,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit does not have low wages.
Yea I missed that comment thank you. I just looked at a list that places Metro Detroit way ahead of Metro Miami in terms of highest income and RIGHT BEHIND Seattle and Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,242,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I mean there are quite a few people who would rank Miami above Philly, Boston etc but so few would rank it above lower cities like Seattle, Detroit, etc.
This is coming from someone who loves MIA, but I had to vote Detroit on this one. Detroit is down now, but the metro is still a powerhouse and still out performs MIA both in size and economy. Not to mention Detroit's history when MIA was just a place to kickback on south beach and score some blow. Detroit put this country on wheels and was the economic powerhouse of the country. Yea, that is in the past but pasts are sometimes hard to ignore. There is still a lot of potential in Detroit.

Now if the question was where would I like to party, live, or things along those lines, I would have gone with MIA.

True story, I went MIA in MIA and as soon as I scanned my passport to fly out the country had the feds bust me for the night before they could establish my identity. I simply love that city!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM

229 posts, read 468,640 times
1.Atlanta
2.Miami
3.Detroit
4. Seattle

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,687,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
This is coming from someone who loves MIA, but I had to vote Detroit on this one. Detroit is down now, but the metro is still a powerhouse and still out performs MIA both in size and economy. Not to mention Detroit's history when MIA was just a place to kickback on south beach and score some blow. Detroit put this country on wheels and was the economic powerhouse of the country. Yea, that is in the past but pasts are sometimes hard to ignore. There is still a lot of potential in Detroit.

Now if the question was where would I like to party, live, or things along those lines, I would have gone with MIA.

True story, I went MIA in MIA and as soon as I scanned my passport to fly out the country had the feds bust me for the night before they could establish my identity. I simply love that city!
I understand what you are saying. But the past is the past. Miami is even ahead of Detroit in GDP. Miami's economy is larger and more international. Detroit has a more important history for sure but that is the past. If we were looking at the past Buffalo, Cincy, Kansas City and Saint Louis would be more important than Miami too. Put in Richmond Virginia and Charleston S.C. in there too. Detroit is not what it used to be and that is a shame but that happens often to one industry towns. Hopefully the Auto industry in the US improves a lot. And hopefully not in sales but in their products too because that is what got them in this mess.

You made another point which makes Miami impressive its young age and young importance. Since the 1920s Miami has been an important transportation gateway (mostly aviation) but only till the 1990s or so has Miami become the world player it is. And the city is only 116 years old. Much younger than the majority of the cities its size not only in the US but in the world.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM

926 posts, read 411,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I understand what you are saying. But the past is the past. Miami is even ahead of Detroit in GDP. Miami's economy is larger and more international. Detroit has a more important history for sure but that is the past. If we were looking at the past Buffalo, Cincy, Kansas City and Saint Louis would be more important than Miami too. Put in Richmond Virginia and Charleston S.C. in there too. Detroit is not what it used to be and that is a shame but that happens often to one industry towns. Hopefully the Auto industry in the US improves a lot. And hopefully not in sales but in their products too because that is what got them in this mess.

You made another point which makes Miami impressive its young age and young importance. Since the 1920s Miami has been an important transportation gateway (mostly aviation) but only till the 1990s or so has Miami become the world player it is. And the city is only 116 years old. Much younger than the majority of the cities its size not only in the US but in the world.
Yes but Miami is not really been able to capitalize on that young population.It needs more universities like Seattle or Atlanta .It also lacks high tech industries

Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

3,384 posts, read 1,278,398 times
I voted Atlanta. Its definitely the most economically important of the lot. Other than Miami, its also the most international of them.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,454,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Yes but Miami is not really been able to capitalize on that young population.It needs more universities like Seattle or Atlanta .It also lacks high tech industries
This.

My issue with Miami is that it seems to be trapped in its own bubble, removed from anything else in the country. Even within the state of Florida, it lacks the significant influence that one would think it should have.

Most people I know who DON'T live in the Miami area do business in Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, or out of state.

It's a hotbed for international trade, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or