Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important metro?
Atlanta 102 40.32%
Detroit 39 15.42%
Miami 23 9.09%
Seattle 72 28.46%
All close 17 6.72%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol UW and USeattle are world class institutions based on what? Certainly Seattle is not the education center that Atlanta is...
Quote:
I'm saying Atlanta is an education center relative to the cities it is being compared to here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:35 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
I don't get it about Miami, I really don't...

I would argue Atlanta is easily the most important of these four, and Detroit is easily the least important. Miami and Seattle are virtually in the same spot in the middle, with a slight lead to Miami because it was established as an important place longer than Seattle has been, but it's close. Seattle is putting a lot of pressure on Miami, and while still a ways away, could reach Top 10 status sooner...

Miami is catchy, sultry, exciting. Its economy sucks compared to every other city in the Top 10, it has probably the most dramatic quality of life disparities of Top 10 cities. I continue to be mystified as to how anyone can think it's a more important city than Atlanta. Miami is a relevant place. I think the idea and hype of Miami exceeds its reality...

Detroit is the city, if it accelerates in its rebirth, will have the potential to surpass any of the other three. Big "if" game here, but the legacy is there. No major city in America crashed and burned worse than Detroit, and its still a Top 15 city. Even where it is now, it deserves appreciation. If it finds a way to become an economic draw again, its going to become very competitive with these three cities...
Completely agreed with the bolded.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:21 AM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Completely agreed with the bolded.
I second that

Old 09-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily call or overstate Atlanta as an education center. In terms of prominent universities it has Emory (from which I received my MBA) and GA Tech, followed by “all others” —but is behind NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF Bay Area, LA, possibly on par with N.C. Research Triangle and D.C. It is good but let’s not overstate or award it elite status...if you add in U Ga, 2 hours away and not top tier in most people’s minds, I suppose I could add Philly and surrounding 100-150 mile radius to above list.

Actually i disagree.
I mean comparatively speaking you have those cities that are more well-known and how highly regarded they are but Atlanta is still highly regarded and that's nothing to be downplaying.
as I pointed out earlier about the link that I provided Atlanta is in the top 20 University cities in the world because of they are one of the few cities that have so many ranked universities.
Its not just 2 schools,its the deths 9f h9w many schools are 8n the area as well as its diverse options.
Morehouse and Spelman college cannot be downplayed in their importance.
Their conttibutions are unequaled in their mission.

Not to mention other private schools like Agnes Scott College which is one of the few all female.schools in Amer8va.
Also Olgelthorpe University,Georgia State,and Kennesaw state

Last edited by Be Proud; 09-15-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:31 AM

What are other prominent universities in ATL with national (not local or regional) reputations besides the 2 I mentioned that will open doors for you across the entire country based on academics and strong alumni networks —or do you disagree with some other cities I listed in which case I will be happy to cite specific universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Actually i disagree.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM

Highly doubt any of those secondary (or is it tertiary) schools you listed will get your foot in the door for an interview in NYC, CHI, LA, SF, DC, Boston, or, frankly outside of the Southeast—possibly if you graduate manga *** laude. SUNY Buffalo or Albany, far from the best schools in NY State will open far more doors for you (and not just in state)....heck, my first job out of Emory Business School that I landed in San Francisco had far more to do with the more prominent status and national alumni Network from my undergrad college, Cornell.....good luck landing a job in CA or NY or any of a number of other higher paying states than GA with a top law, tech, investment firm, national firm, etc with a degree from Oglethorpe, Georgia State etc when competing with students from the Ivy’s, at least a dozen other private Northeast schools, Duke, Vanderbilt, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, Cal Tech, Michigan, Virginia, USC (more so due to alumni), Emory,etc etc.....not saying the 1 in 100,000 exception never happens but let’s not overstate the importance of those 3rd tier schools, let alone outside of GA and with higher paying top tier national firms—assuming one prefers a higher paying job and rewarding career to a lower paying one. Success from those schools is most likely from within state—which limits, not expands, options.

Quote:
Actually i disagree.
I mean comparatively speaking you have those cities that are more well-known and how highly regarded they are but Atlanta is still highly regarded and that's nothing to be downplaying.
as I pointed out earlier about the link that I provided Atlanta is in the top 20 University cities in the world because of they are one of the few cities that have so many ranked universities.
Its not just 2 schools,its the deths 9f h9w many schools are 8n the area as well as its diverse options.
Morehouse and Spelman college cannot be downplayed in their importance.
Their conttibutions are unequaled in their mission.

Not to mention other private schools like Agnes Scott College which is one of the few all female.schools in Amer8va.
Also Olgelthorpe University,Georgia State,and Kennesaw state

Last edited by elchevere; 09-15-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Highly doubt any of those secondary (or is it tertiary) schools you listed will get your foot in the door for an interview in NYC, CHI, LA, SF, DC, Boston, or, frankly outside of the Southeast—possibly if you graduate manga *** laude.
Spelman and Morehouse will, particularly for companies that are looking for diversity.

But it was clarified that Atlanta was being spoken of as a higher education center relative to the rest of the cities here. Modcut: Please keep this about just the cities in the poll.

Last edited by JMT; 10-06-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 02:03 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
What are other prominent universities in ATL with national (not local or regional) reputations besides the 2 I mentioned that will open doors for you across the entire country based on academics and strong alumni networks —or do you disagree with some other cities I listed in which case I will be happy to cite specific universities.

Spelman and Morehouse

Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Highly doubt any of those secondary (or is it tertiary) schools you listed will get your foot in the door for an interview in NYC, CHI, LA, SF, DC, Boston, or, frankly outside of the Southeast—possibly if you graduate manga *** laude. SUNY Buffalo or Albany, far from the best schools in NY State will open far more doors for you (and not just in state)....heck, my first job out of Emory Business School that I landed in San Francisco had far more to do with the more prominent status and national alumni Network from my undergrad college, Cornell.....good luck landing a job in CA or NY or any of a number of other higher paying states than GA with a top law, tech, investment firm, national firm, etc with a degree from Oglethorpe, Georgia State etc when competing with students from the Ivy’s, at least a dozen other private Northeast schools, Duke, Vanderbilt, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, Cal Tech, Michigan, Virginia, USC (more so due to alumni), Emory,etc etc.....not saying the 1 in 100,000 exception never happens but let’s not overstate the importance of those 3rd tier schools, let alone outside of GA and with higher paying top tier national firms—assuming one prefers a higher paying job and rewarding career to a lower paying one. Success from those schools is most likely from within state—which limits, not expands, options.
Considering Georgia and many other Southern states are among the fsastest growing,id say going to a school in the South is an advantage almost as much as it could be a liability but in most cases unless you are looking to work exclusively for F500 as your first job,then its really not going to matter.Where you start is not where you always end up .
You could graducate and work for Home Depot after going to the Uof Alabama and wind up working for Deloitte,Ernest and Young and Bank of America in by the time you are 33 like a friend of mine did.
Not too mention just look at where many companies are relocating.
Georgia now actually has several billion dollar film industry,Not just low paying jobs on set but more and more post production work.
As a result many of Georgia schools have adapted curriculum to assist n educating those in these fields
As I have already said,its more important to have highly ranked collleges but even more so if you have more just highly ranked colleges.
Average colleges and universities are average because the majority of people go to "average" schools.Its la la land if you think everybody who just wants a decent pay to support themselves and their families,is HAS to go to an Ivy league or top 50 college.

Morehouse and Spelman are definately well represented everywhere in corporate America.
Martin Lther King Jr,Herman Cain,Soke Lee,Samuel L Jackson, David Satcher(fmr.Surgeon Gen) Homeland Security fmr,Director Jeh Johnson and the list goes on for a hundred or so years.
Spelman equally impressive. Alice Walker,(wrote Color Purple),Audrey Manley(fmr Surgeon Gen.), our current Democratic governor hopeful candidate Stacey Abrams who has become the nations first elected first black Democratic nominee for Governor anywhere in the U.S. and many more but one in particular to prove my point further is Rosiland Brewer,Starbucks COO from Detroit and look where she is now.

Last edited by Be Proud; 09-15-2018 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 05:38 PM

I could easily list prominent grads from all the universities I listed earlier that would dwarf the number of prominent names you can supply from those schools—easily....and where you graduate from is not only important for landing a job at a Fortune 500 company but also gaining admittance into top grad schools, legal profession, investment banking, arts & entertainment, and so...in fact almost every college, even community colleges, in the country has someone famous or prominent that graduated from it; better ranked schools tend to have far more which is why there is intense competition to get into them. Given rising costs, state universities are just as competitive to get into though they often lack the alumni connections which cannot be overlooked. I find it hard to believe a person who had a chance to go to Yale or Stanford would choose a school in Georgia (Duke, the most prominent Southern school, is another matter) because it is growing fast. Not everyone who is successful has attended an Ivy or a top 20 school but doing so opens more doors and creates many more opportunities than lesser known regional schools—and average salary stats from graduates are readily available....but if one thinks the average grad from Morehouse will earn more or succeed more than the average grad in any number of top schools I listed earlier you are mistaken.

I agree Georgia schools are good within their own region with a couple having greater reach but not to the same level of many top tier schools from a national perspective. And, yes, Morehouse etc serves a purpose but let’s not overstate its prominence. It would be like using the example of the person who didn’t go to college that became a multi millionaire or billionaire and using that as a platform for the masses—that’s an exception, not the norm.

Quote:
Considering Georgia and many other Southern states are among the fsastest growing,id say going to a school in the South is an advantage almost as much as it could be a liability but in most cases unless you are looking to work exclusively for F500 as your first job,then its really not going to matter.Where you start is not where you always end up .
You could graducate and work for Home Depot after going to the Uof Alabama and wind up working for Deloitte,Ernest and Young and Bank of America in by the time you are 33 like a friend of mine did.
Not too mention just look at where many companies are relocating.
Georgia now actually has several billion dollar film industry,Not just low paying jobs on set but more and more post production work.
As a result many of Georgia schools have adapted curriculum to assist n educating those in these fields
As I have already said,its more important to have highly ranked collleges but even more so if you have more just highly ranked colleges.
Average colleges and universities are average because the majority of people go to "average" schools.Its la la land if you think everybody who just wants a decent pay to support themselves and their families,is HAS to go to an Ivy league or top 50 college.

Morehouse and Spelman are definitely well represented everywhere in corporate America.
Martin Lther King Jr,Herman Cain,Soke Lee,Samuel L Jackson, David Satcher(fmr.Surgeon Gen) Homeland Security fmr,Director Jeh Johnson and the list goes on for a hundred or so years.
Spelman equally impressive. Alice Walker,(wrote Color Purple),Audrey Manley(fmr Surgeon Gen.), our current Democratic governor hopeful candidate Stacey Abrams who has become the nations first elected first black Democratic nominee for Governor anywhere in the U.S. and many more but one in particular to prove my point further is Rosiland Brewer,Starbucks COO from Detroit and look where she is now.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-15-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City