Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post

I just find the Bay Area rich nuts because you rarely, if ever hear that much about their lifestyles, especially in the NY/LA centric media. Almost like the billionaires there shun the cameras away and live more private lives.
I see some truth in this. For some reason, Bay Area centimillionaires are way more interesting and sexy than our local billionaires imo.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
With all this wealth how can CA be broke, tax these guys more CA. Maybe more will move to Tx. Same applies to NY so tax them NY, Texas wants them
With all the High tech wealth we need a windfall profits tax not oils
Its good in theory and its even better in politics.

But the problem is when one state tries to raise revenue by taxing the rich, a certain percentage of them will simply change their main address of residence to another state that has less taxes. We have plenty of people here in NY that do that, officially they live down in Florida but they seem to be up here all the time in New York

In other words if you raise taxes high enough, you may actually lose enough residents to other states that you may actually wind up with less revenue!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its good in theory and its even better in politics.

But the problem is when one state tries to raise revenue by taxing the rich, a certain percentage of them will simply change their main address of residence to another state that has less taxes. We have plenty of people here in NY that do that, officially they live down in Florida but they seem to be up here all the time in New York

In other words if you raise taxes high enough, you may actually lose enough residents to other states that you may actually wind up with less revenue!
Thats my point, I am in Texas, we will end up with some of these guys who will move when tax rates get high enough. Well stated!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thats my point, I am in Texas, we will end up with some of these guys who will move when tax rates get high enough. Well stated!
The country has a healthy distribution of ultra high net worth people so Im not sure why you think TX needs to lure more billionaires as the state already has a lot. LOL.

Here's a chart I recently made with the Top 10 US and Top 10 European metro areas ranking them by the number of individuals worth $30 Million+ who reside there.
NOT FOR COMPARATIVE PURPOSES, just for informational purposes.

As you can see, Houston and Dallas have a lot of very wealthy people already.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times
One in ten billionaires worldwide lives in Switzerland and 210,700 people possess more than $1 million (SFr990,000). But what makes these people tick?

A study by Basel University explores what makes the rich and superrich tick. - swissinfo

Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Great data on global cities with population worth more than $30M. Wonder how they got their data? Would be interesting to see it converted to spending power after factoring in local living cost, even though that group probably spends more outside the city they live than in it.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 PM

233 posts, read 530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The country has a healthy distribution of ultra high net worth people so Im not sure why you think TX needs to lure more billionaires as the state already has a lot. LOL.

Here's a chart I recently made with the Top 10 US and Top 10 European metro areas ranking them by the number of individuals worth $30 Million+ who reside there.
NOT FOR COMPARATIVE PURPOSES, just for informational purposes.

As you can see, Houston and Dallas have a lot of very wealthy people already.
Wheres Miami? According to this WSJ Article Florida is 4th in the nation with 3526 Ultra Rich. I would think South Florida would have at least 1500, perhaps they broke the metro up.

Where Do All the Ultra-Rich Live? - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Last edited by sofla951; 03-12-2012 at 12:05 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Wheres Miami? According to this WSJ Article Florida is 4th in the nation with 3526 Ultra Rich. I would think South Florida would have at least 1500, perhaps they broke the metro up.

Where Do All the Ultra-Rich Live? - The Wealth Report - WSJ
I dont know about Miami but here is the link to Wealth-X's city ranking:
Top 10 Cities for Ultra High Net Worth Individuals - ABC News

Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
uh oh...looks like someone has to make this into a Dallas v. Houston thread

I am always VERY impressed by DFW's billionaire count...25! Incredible total for our area. More than half of Texas' billionaires
Also Htown you may need to check those facts. Although totals vary, and generally Houston has slightly more millionaires, those figures are off. In this survey as mentioned in D Magazine, Dallas actually had MORE millionaires than Houston... (2009)

Number Of Millionaire Households In Dallas Dropped Last Year, Research Firm Says | FrontBurner

Enough of this, I can save the rest for the Dallas vs. Houston smackdown.
Regardless, props to Texas for our impressive count
not at all. I was explaining that Mass wealth might be in the high numbers of millionaire rather than a handful of billionaires and Houston and Dallas was the perfect example of that because although Dallas has a handful more Billionaire Houston has a ton more millionaires.

and I didn't want to turn this into a back and forth but clearly you wanted too by challenging my stats without clear info.

The list of millionaire cities have been out for years now and DFW was never on the top ten. Last Year Houston moved from 9 to 8th place, having 96,000 millionaires.

Quote:
Despite moribund local economies, millionaires in all of these cities increased in number, in some cases significantly. Houston had 88,200 millionaires in 2009. In one year, the number of millionaires grew 9.6 percent to 96,700. This followed an impressive gain in the prior year, when the number of millionaires in the city grew nearly 30 percent
The American Cities With The Most Millionaires - 24/7 Wall St.
American Cities With The Most Millionaires: 24/7 Wall St.

I read your Dallas Article and it looks like just Dallas newspaper boosterism because independent sources like Kiplinger and Capgemini who publishes the U.S. Metro Wealth Index said that Houston had 88,000 millionaires that year, not 73K. I would trust them before I trust your newspaper

Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wisconsin is a surprise. Didn't realize it would have that many Billionaires. I wonder if it mostly the Milwaukee metro area?
Connecticut is especially impressive.
Connecticut is wealthy New York sprawl. If you looked at the the two halves of the state eastern and western, its quite telling how the half in New York's backyard has some of the wealthiest areas in the world and the other half east of Hartford starts becoming crimeridden and poorer. Wisconsin is up there because of Racine. There's a wealthy billionaire family that lives there in between Chicago and Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City