Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times

Advertisements

I agree... I don't think you will be able to see One World Trade from the top of Comcast... but you can see the Philly Skyline from the Lehigh Valley...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No one is arguing... Chicago is OBVIOUSLY the clear winner lol. We we're just showing some of Philly off =). In my opinion... Philly beats Boston in residential highrise, but Chicago KICKS THE HELL out of Philly and Boston combined.

In fact... we would probably have to add Miami to the mix to even come close to Chicago...
I honestly think Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, and Los Angeles combined wouldn't come close to Chicago for residential highrises.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I honestly think Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, and Los Angeles combined wouldn't come close to Chicago for residential highrises.
Probs

Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree, Chicago is major league. Boston and Philly are minor league in this respect

Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Take it up with the person who is saying they do. Let's see - that's who, exactly?
It was a rhetorical question. I like all 3 cities.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Chicago wins that hands down but I think Miami would rank 3rd. after NYC & Chicago in terms of residential highrise living in the US.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Since Philly is a much older city I never understood why it hasn't built as many highrises as Chicago in the last century. Was there a city ordinance or people being against it back in the day? Would the location of the airport being close have anything to do with it?

I'm happy to see the city finally building a lot of residential highrises. I use to live in one and am a big fan of highrise living. The experience I had was great.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Since Philly is a much older city I never understood why it hasn't built as many highrises as Chicago in the last century. Was there a city ordinance or people being against it back in the day? Would the location of the airport being close have anything to do with it?

I'm happy to see the city finally building a lot of residential highrises. I use to live in one and am a big fan of highrise living. The experience I had was great.
To answer your question about Philly there was a gentleman's agreement that lasted until the mid 1980's that no building could be built taller that the William Penn statue that sits atop city hall. Philly is a very dense city but it never started to build tall until the late 80's I believe.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
To answer your question about Philly there was a gentleman's agreement that lasted until the mid 1980's that no building could be built taller that the William Penn statue that sits atop city hall. Philly is a very dense city but it never started to build tall until the late 80's I believe.
You're exactly right. Philadelphia and Boston are actually very similar in this regard in terms of being older cities that have always been more conservative with skyscraper/residential highrise construction. Mostly it has been a matter of maintaining the character of low-rise rowhouse neighborhoods. It's a delicate balance that I believe both cities have been very successful in maintaining in terms of keeping highrise construction in designed areas.

However, I think mentalities have definitely shifted as demand for living in cities has picked up dramatically over the past two decades. I expect to see much more high-rise construction in Boston and Philly in the years to come, if only because of pretty tight real estate (which is particularly true in Boston).

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Interesting, I never knew about the 'gentlemen' agreement. I guess it kind like why Charleston,SC don't want a skyline higher than the church spires. I can imagine Philly could have had it's own version of a 100+ story Empire State Building today rivaling NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City