Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You clearly don't watch movies, TV shows or listen to music then. You also must have never heard of Comcast, NBC or Universal Studious (both the theme park and the movie/music/media company).
Well in movies I have seen a lot of Boston based movies in the past decade but hardly any Philly ones, and to say that Philly has Comcast is like saying Atlanta has CNN, either way most of their stories pertain to what's going on in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
What top 10 cities are the biggest media centers.
- Songs
- Music Videos
- TV shows
- Movies
- Artist
- Music artist
- Worldstarhiphop ^.^
- ECT

Which 10 cities are usually out there when it comes to MEDIA presence.

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia/Atlanta tied
6. New Jersey (Even though its a state)
7. Las Vegas (Around 2009 and back it would be number 3 but it kinda' simmered down a little)
8. Orlando
9. ???
10. ????
What about other media news, radio, and magazines? Or maybe that falls under the ECT category .....If we just use the criteria posted then I would say NYC, LA, Atlanta (depending on what type of music you follow)

Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,895,841 times
1. NYC: Tons of media companies based here, lots of newscasts, tons of music, film, tv shows, sports, etc.
2. LA: No explanation needed here either, entertainment capital of the world, Hollywood
3. DC: So much news comes out of here...every presidential address, congressional hearing, etc.

Big drop off

4. Chicago: our third largest city gets a good bit of coverage especially with its sports teams. Also a good many musical performers (Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco)
5. Atlanta: CNN, Tyler Perry, tons of rappers and R&B (Usher, T.I., Ludacris, Outkast, Cee-Lo), TBS, Cartoon Network, Walking Dead, etc.
6. Miami: Very popular setting for crime dramas, also the headquarters for Telemundo
7. Boston: Very popular sports teams, lots of institutions of higher education, high profile movies like the Departed, Good Will Hunting,
8. San Francisco Bay Area: you here about Silicon Valley a ton, and SF is a popular setting for fiction. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a lot of music coming out of this area, but seems like not as much anymore.

9-10. Philly, Dallas, Seattle all get a fair bit of pub. Maybe New Orleans.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
1. NYC: Tons of media companies based here, lots of newscasts, tons of music, film, tv shows, sports, etc.
2. LA: No explanation needed here either, entertainment capital of the world, Hollywood
3. DC: So much news comes out of here...every presidential address, congressional hearing, etc.

Big drop off

4. Chicago: our third largest city gets a good bit of coverage especially with its sports teams. Also a good many musical performers (Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco)
5. Atlanta: CNN, Tyler Perry, tons of rappers and R&B (Usher, T.I., Ludacris, Outkast, Cee-Lo), TBS, Cartoon Network, Walking Dead, etc.
6. Miami: Very popular setting for crime dramas, also the headquarters for Telemundo
7. Boston: Very popular sports teams, lots of institutions of higher education, high profile movies like the Departed, Good Will Hunting,
8. San Francisco Bay Area: you here about Silicon Valley a ton, and SF is a popular setting for fiction. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a lot of music coming out of this area, but seems like not as much anymore.

9-10. Philly, Dallas, Seattle all get a fair bit of pub. Maybe New Orleans.
great non biased list

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
I thought I'd chime in here, since 31st Street Studios in Pittsburgh has just announced a joint venture with Paramount Pictures, Knight Vision Studios and Carnegie Mellon University. The studios already have the largest soundstages in North America outside New York and Los Angeles, and will soon be the only studio in North America outside Los Angeles with "motion capture" technology. This technology will also be used to create video games.

In other news, On Beat Productions is relocating from Los Angeles to nearby Ellwood City, PA. Two new movies are being filmed locally as well: Promised Land, directed by Gus Van Sant and starring Matt Damon, and Out Of The Furnace, directed by Scott Cooper and starring Robert Duvall. This comes after two busy years of film production in the Pittsburgh area: She's Out Of My League, Love And Other Drugs, Unstoppable, The Next Three Days, One Shot and I Am Number Four were all filmed locally, as were parts of The Dark Knight Rises.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Well in movies I have seen a lot of Boston based movies in the past decade but hardly any Philly ones, and to say that Philly has Comcast is like saying Atlanta has CNN, either way most of their stories pertain to what's going on in other cities.
I'll list a few for ya...

-Movies
(only most recent ones, will exclude films like Rocky and Eraserhood)
Backwards
Must Be the Music
Changing the Game
Limitless
Safe
The Last Airbender
Devil
Law Abiding Citizen
Marley and Me
Transformers 2
The Wrestler
The Happening
The Lovely Bones
Jackass Number 2
Rocky Balboa (2006)
Shooter
Invincible
Lady in the Water
The Village
National Treasure
The Italian Job
Jersey Girl
Signs

-TV
Obviously sports games and shows
Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Teach
Wreck Chasers
Bizarre Foods
Man V. Food
Kendra
Food Wars
Friday Night Lights
Boy Meets World
Parking Wars
Cold Case
Criminal Minds (filmed in Philly)
Fringe (filmed in Philly)
Plenty of shows mention or shoot an episode or two in Philly

Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta--I think in that order.

After that I dont know.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 AM

151 posts, read 366,599 times
Atlanta isn't a top tier media city. It should be ranked dead last. It's maybe 4th tier, at best. I could easily name 100 other cities with more media presence.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
Atlanta isn't a top tier media city. It should be ranked dead last. It's maybe 4th tier, at best. I could easily name 100 other cities with more media presence.
Name them.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 AM

422 posts, read 815,253 times
The same as the top 10 US cities except notin that order. Make 4 no. 6; 9 no. 4; 6 no. 5; and switch 8 and no. 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I don't know about the 2011-2012 rankings... but here are the 2010-2011 rankings... I doubt they would change much in one year.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. San Fran
7. Boston
8. Atlanta
9. D.C.
10. Houston

Media Info SLC: 2010 - 2011 Nielsen DMA Market Rankings (Salt Lake City DMA will be #32)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City