Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Boston 181 66.79%
Denver 90 33.21%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

-Urban living: Boston
-Living without a car: Boston
-Downtown: Boston
-Outdoors: Denver
-Things to do on the weekends: Denver
-Passion of sports fanbases: Boston
-People: Tie
-Quality of life: Tie
-Economy: Boston
-Which place you'd rather live: Denver
-Which place you'd rather visit: Boston

Boston on here I'm sure will win but Denver has plenty of jobs available and I'd rather live in the mountains and go snowboarding, skiing, rafting and rock climbing over watching the Celtics or pub hopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
-Urban living: Boston
-Downtown: Boston
-Outdoors: Denver
-Things to do on the weekends: Denver
-Passion of sports fanbases: Boston
-People: Tie
-Quality of life: Tie
-Economy: Boston
-Which place you'd rather live: Denver
-Which place you'd rather visit: Boston

Boston on here I'm sure will win but Denver has plenty of jobs available and I'd rather live in the mountains and go snowboarding, skiing, rafting and rock climbing over watching the Celtics or pub hopping.
There is Skii, Snowboarding, and White water rafting all within 25 miles of Boston.
Denver still wins but Boston is far underrated in this catigory
not to mention water-sports which a Denerite?, would have to go 100s of miles to enjoy.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There is Skii, Snowboarding, and White water rafting all within 25 miles of Boston.
Denver still wins but Boston is far underrated in this catigory
not to mention water-sports which a Denerite?, would have to go 100s of miles to enjoy.
When i lived in denver, i was only 4-5 miles away from 2 decent sized reservoir. Nothing like the ocean of course, but its the closest thing to an ocean your gonna get in Denver.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
-Urban living Boston by far
-Living without a car Boston by far
-Downtown Boston by far
-Outdoors Closer than you'd think. Denver has the beautiful Rockies, but Boston's shore is great and it has access to very nice mountains too (though not nearly on the same level of the Rockies). I'd say it's all up to your preference. Mine is Boston because I prefer the coast to the mountains.
-Things to do on the weekends Again, all about your preference. Different people do different things on the weekend. I prefer what Boston offers to Denver.
-Passion of sports fanbases Boston by a bit. Colorado does love the Broncos.
-People Sort of an odd question...there's no way to gauge which "people" are better. If you're going by eduational attainment, that's in Boston's favor. If you're going by ethnic diversity, that's in Boston's favor too. However those are really the only two quantifiable measures of people.
-Quality of life Another very subjective category.
-Economy Boston by far. It's considerably healthier (5.8% unemployment vs 8.1%) and far larger economy ($313.7B vs $157.6)
-Which place you'd rather live Boston
-Which place you'd rather visit Boston

Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM

89 posts, read 165,435 times
My bad guys. I didn't mean to make it so biased. If you want to from here on out, add things to do in the city, and any catagories you want. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
-Urban living: Boston, even the inner suburbs offer awesome walkability. I am a big fan of Cherry Creek though.
-Downtown: Boston but Denver isn't bad for a sunbelt city.
-Outdoors: This is going to throw everyone, I pick Boston here. I've got killer mountain biking 15 minutes from my house that's on the orange line just North of Boston. Along 128 on the North Shore I've got 7 killer spots that are way closer than any really good riding close to downtown Denver. This is just my POV since mountain biking is a big part of my life, also there are at least 7 DH parks within a 5 hour drive of Boston, most like Highland have much longer seasons than the Rocky Mountain parks.
-Things to do on the weekends: Depends if you're talking city life or outdoors life but this would be close to a tie with everything except skiing since the Colorado Powder can't be beat out East. If you're talking anything in the city or things like hiking, lakes, white water rafting, surfing, trail running etc... There's a lot available very close to Boston that would satisfy every outdoor enthusiast I know.
-Passion of sports fanbases: Boston, Championship City!
-People: Not sure about this one. Denver seems nice but more fake. Boston people are blunt and to the point. I get sick of both attitudes after a while.
-Quality of life: Denver has space but Boston has culture and rich history you won't find in Denver. Plus for me road trip ability is important and I can't think of any major cities I'd be able to drive to from Denver in 5-6 hours. In Boston you've got a lot of options.
-Economy: Boston, easy. But Denver is not terrible either.
-Which place you'd rather live: For now Boston, I would consider Denver but I would prefer to be closer to the mountains, maybe Boulder?
-Which place you'd rather visit: I live in Boston so Denver, but actually it'd be the mountains which are a nice hike from Denver. So I'd pick Breckenridge.

I think some of the other important aspects of a city that weren't mentioned on the OP list are:

Education- Colorado seems to lack a bit in this department, when it comes time to raise a family I think Mass offers a better opportunity for success in life. Higher education is also lacking a bit in Denver, I know Boulder isn't far away, but I don't consider that part of Denver Metro.

Politics- I know this is important to a lot of people and probably one of the biggest differences between the two cities, Boston is more progressive on certain things, but if you happen to love guns then Colorado is your place to be. There a big philosophical differences in the mindset of each community though.

Diversity- Some people value this, others dont, but Denver is a two stop shop when it comes to types of cultures, you've got White and Mexican, who often don't get along. Boston is more of a melting pot, not to say that there isn't all kinds of segregation issues here.

Quality of Employment- Boston offers a lot of high paying careers in medical, pharmaceutical, biotech, finance, IT and others. I know Denver has the DTC but based on income disparity between the two areas Boston seems to cater to those who spend 6+ years in college and are looking for a career with growth that matches that work.

Weather- I know most people pick Denver here, I would agree sunnier weather is better, but Boston isn't bad enough to justify me not living here for the weather. I rarely cancel a ride due to rain and the Red Sox do manage to play 90+/- games outdoors here every summer. It's not a big enough factor to really justify living here versus another place. Snow versus no snow I understand but on sunshine basis alone, I don't think it's a big enough deal.

Just my opinions, I think Denver is an awesome city, but having access to mountain biking right after work just does not seem quite as easy as other places I've lived like Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and now Boston.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Having spent way too much time in Denver on business in years past, I think this thread should be redefined as "Denver vs. Worcester", then you'd get a better horse race.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Having spent way too much time in Denver on business in years past, I think this thread should be redefined as "Denver vs. Worcester", then you'd get a better horse race.
That's cold, and a huge proposterous stretch. I'd give a city like Omaha more credit than the mediocrety of Worcester.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
I think most people post on this forums based on preconceived ideas about aplace without ever really experiencing the cities. Boston, like most northeast cities, is great if you have serious cash otherwise the cost of living coupled with taxes,etc is crippling to the common folk. Denver has perhaps the second largest performing arts complex in the world. Denver has the same number of sports teams but i will say boston fans are louder. Downtown denver is vibrant,lively and extremely walkable. As far as the outdoors i like both water and mountains but i prefer the oudoors in colorado. I enjoy river kayaking, rafting, swimming in lakes. I do enjoy the picturesque views on marthas vineyard but if im going in an ocean its going to be a warm, clear ocean. The weather in denver is better. The people are friendlier. Boston is a great city but for people to act like it blows denver away just means they haven t spent too much time in dt denver

Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakupusa View Post
Boston is a great city but for people to act like it blows denver away just means they haven t spent too much time in dt denver
I lived in both Stapleton and the Lowry AFB development for a short period. Couple that with a dozen or so trips to Denver throughout my life (my father has a business out there), and I'd say I've spent enough time to give a relatively well informed opinion. In my opinion, they're nowhere close. Especially in the downtown department.

That isn't to say Denver isn't good, because it is. I like the location of Coors (and the prices are obviously much better than Fenway haha), and the 16th Street Mall (15th Street? I always forget which number it is). The Libeskind-designed museum downtown is really cool from the outside, though I never had the opportunity to enter. I also really liked the beautiful homes in Cherry Creek. I think of any Sunbelt/recently developing cities, Denver has done one of the best jobs of developing in a viable manner. I hope the light rail projects will continue to expand and provide a legitimate mass transit system. However on an overall perspective, it doesn't compare to a far larger, more well-established, architecturally rich Downtown Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City