Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM

170 posts, read 389,588 times

Advertisements

cleveland,easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgA...eature=related

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 AM

133 posts, read 274,143 times
Philadelphia should definitely be a contender for this honor. There are a lot of people who genuinely hate this city... and a few of them work at City Hall

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,905,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It was initially an inside joke in SoCal that was perpetuated by a radio "shock jock," and gets a chuckle in the area.
Never heard of that before, but I don't listen to Leykis.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Chicago was interesting... I got a lot of "why would you come to Chicago" when I told people I wasn't there for work. Then, I had people beaming with pride giving me all sorts of recommendations. I loved Chicago.

Cleveland residents seemed almost apologetic for their city which, by the way, isn't nearly as bad as people like to make it out to be.

Boston is an oddball. Some people on this forum love to believe we're all smug, self-indulged homers; but I would disagree. For probably 50% of the people up here (or more), Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, etc (or in smaller cases, Arizona) is the promised land as it's cheaper and warmer. I have no fewer than 10 high school friends who are now living in Florida. As far as cities go, we constantly knock Boston for not being more like NYC. You'll likely hear, "well they're doing THIS in NYC... why can't we?!" Are there some smug, cold, yankee snobs up here? Sure. But I'd say it's 50/50.

Providence is a bit self loathing. Maybe it's the economy, but I've never been to a city where people take all of what they have for granted. Living in Boston's shadow may add to this and so might the economy. Still, Providence residents rarely have nice things to say about Providence.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Chicago was interesting... I got a lot of "why would you come to Chicago" when I told people I wasn't there for work. Then, I had people beaming with pride giving me all sorts of recommendations. I loved Chicago.

Cleveland residents seemed almost apologetic for their city which, by the way, isn't nearly as bad as people like to make it out to be.

Boston is an oddball. Some people on this forum love to believe we're all smug, self-indulged homers; but I would disagree. For probably 50% of the people up here (or more), Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, etc (or in smaller cases, Arizona) is the promised land as it's cheaper and warmer. I have no fewer than 10 high school friends who are now living in Florida. As far as cities go, we constantly knock Boston for not being more like NYC. You'll likely hear, "well they're doing THIS in NYC... why can't we?!" Are there some smug, cold, yankee snobs up here? Sure. But I'd say it's 50/50.

Providence is a bit self loathing. Maybe it's the economy, but I've never been to a city where people take all of what they have for granted. Living in Boston's shadow may add to this and so might the economy. Still, Providence residents rarely have nice things to say about Providence.
Great post.

I do think that Chicago does have somewhat of an inferiority complex. Its residents seem to go "on and on" about what a great town it is, that it becomes annoying. I think about how ugly the area gets once the metro area thins out, and that does it for me.

Cleveland is definitely not as bad as people say. And the people from there tend to be salt of the earth, as they are in all the big Ohio ciites.

New Englanders, at least non-ethnic ones, can indeed be smug and cold. I saw this at both the hotel in Lexington/Concord I was staying in, at all the shops in that neighborhood, and in some transplanted Bostonians I've met. If the ratio of "smugs" is that high, it wouldn't cut it for me, especially for the cost.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-12-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM

2,247 posts, read 6,999,029 times
Quote:
Maybe not a city, but a region or a subset of metro LA - "the Inland Empire."

When someone says "the 909," it ain't pretty. I'm not sure if Tom Leykis coined that, but he uses the pejorative "moniker." People from that area cringe when someone says "so, you live in 'the 909'."
You know Tom's coming back, right?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Interesting how people keep naming Midwestern cities. I'll also nominate Kansas City and Cincinnati, from my experience.

I wouldn't call Chicago self-depreciating, though--that town is definitely more smug than anything else. They even carry the smugness over to other cities: practically every sentence from a transplanted Chicagoan begins with "Well, back in Chicago,..."

Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You know Tom's coming back, right?
I used to like him. But the delivery never changed. He has to reinvent himself. I wonder how many times he's been divorced by now. At last count, it was 4, IIRC.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I'll also nominate Kansas City and Cincinnati, from my experience.
I might disagree on this one. I think they call it "the Paris of the Plains" or "the city of fountains." Not only that, being in a river valley, it does have topographical variety, unlike West and Central Kansas, which are pancake flat. A shopping area called the Plaza is modeled after Seville, Spain. I think the job market is strong and the housing stock is newer and nice.

I couldn't handle it because it is TOO conservative and a big preoccupation with where one goes to church. It's also too far from anything for a "day tripper."

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I might disagree on this one. I think they call it "the Paris of the Plains" or "the city of fountains." Not only that, being in a river valley, it does have topographical variety, unlike West and Central Kansas, which are pancake flat. A shopping area called the Plaza is modeled after Seville, Spain. I think the job market is strong and the housing stock is newer and nice.

I couldn't handle it because it is TOO conservative and a big preoccupation with where one goes to church. It's also too far from anything for a "day tripper."
But the thing is, they don't seem to value their great assets, which is what makes them self-depreciating.

I asked a question about visiting once just to explore the place, and people were genuinely shocked that someone not from the area would visit the city on their own merit. That, to me, is the epitome of an inferiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City