Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
But isn't Savannah a tourist destination? I thought it was, unless I'm wrong about that!
Yes it is, but putting NOLA on the Georgia coast as well would make for a hell of a one-two punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indiana could adopt Chicago...........but Indiana would probably run Chicago into the ground and ruin it. So, maybe that's not such a good idea.
How so? Chicago is so large to the point where it influences the state more than the state influences it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,960,905 times
Quote:
But isn't Savannah a tourist destination? I thought it was, unless I'm wrong about that!
I didn't read the other post before posting this post in response, sorry about that!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm perfectly happy with the cities we have in NC, I wouldn't change anything! Each city is unique in their own way! Charlotte is a major economic hub with finance and an emerging energy sector, Raleigh/Durham is the base of where most of our major universities are located and a high-tech hub, Greensboro and Winston-Salem is a strong manufacturing hub with a large college presence as well, High Point with its furniture industry, Asheville is a tourist destination located in the mountains and Wilmington is the coastal equivalent, also a has a solid film industry located there, and Fayetteville is a major military town with Ft. Bragg, so NC is a rather well-rounded state where each major city brings something different to the table!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with the cities we have in NC, I wouldn't change anything! Each city is unique in their own way! Charlotte is a major economic hub with finance and an emerging energy sector, Raleigh/Durham is the base of where most of our major universities are located and a high-tech hub, Greensboro and Winston-Salem is a strong manufacturing hub with a large college presence as well, High Point with its furniture industry, Asheville is a tourist destination located in the mountains and Wilmington is the coastal equivalent, also a has a solid film industry located there, and Fayetteville is a major military town with Ft. Bragg, so NC is a rather well-rounded state where each major city brings something different to the table!
I just think NC is missing a sizable historic city. Wilmington is as close as it gets, but if NC had something like a Charleston, Savannah, Richmond, etc., that would round the state out quite nicely IMO.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just think NC is missing a sizable historic city. Wilmington is as close as it gets, but if NC had something like a Charleston, Savannah, Richmond, etc., that would round the state out quite nicely IMO.
Maybe Wilmington can eventually be that place over time as it continues to grow! Greensboro has some history, especially as it pertains to the Civil Rights era and Winston-Salem has Old Salem, but overall, Wilmington probably could be the one city in NC that should fit that criteria in terms of big sized city filled with history!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM

342 posts, read 449,932 times
On the other side of Galveston Bay from Houston, I would like to see......Amsterdam.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe Wilmington can eventually be that place over time as it continues to grow! Greensboro has some history, especially as it pertains to the Civil Rights era and Winston-Salem has Old Salem, but overall, Wilmington probably could be the one city in NC that should fit that criteria in terms of big sized city filled with history!
That opportunity has already passed. Wilmington's new growth won't consist of 19th and early 20th century buildings, LOL.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That opportunity has already passed. Wilmington's new growth won't consist of 19th and early 20th century buildings, LOL.
Oh, Didn't know that!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,519 times
I would take Chicago and place it into Northern New Jersey (Hudson County). I can't imagine the NY and Chicago skyline as one. WOW, so massive!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,205,621 times
If we are talking cities that would fit in to the state then probably Des Moines and columbus. Both cities could fit in to missouri and not really seem that different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City