Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM

72 posts, read 183,647 times

Advertisements

Like most people, I love to eat delicious food in great variety and quality. I'm also a musician, and while I do not wish to pursue a career in it, I would love to be able to get out and play, and hear good to world-class musicians on at weekly basis, in any genre. I'm 31 years-old, and great night-life for professionals would be very appealing.

I'm ASSUMING that LA would be better based on my criteria. Assuming that I'm correct in my assumption, is there a major drop-off between these two cities? Meaning, if were to experience these things in Los Angeles, and then Houston, I'd constantly wish I were in LA?

What say you, city-data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Based on your criteria (food and music) LA has more options for seeing music and probably a better / more diverse dining scene. That being said, I doubt that if you move to Houston you would be constantly wishing to be in LA, because Houston can hold its own on both criteria.

Another thing to consider is that in Houston, cost of living is much lower, so you might be able to live in a 'premier' neighborhood in Houston for about the same price as living in a lesser neighborhood in LA.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Houston has a great restaurant scene. It has just about every kind of cuisine you could imagine and is priced well below what you would pay for comparable quality in most major cites. Will it offer the number of restaurants as LA? Of course not. But I doubt you will run out of places to eat well in Houston.

Music might be another matter. LA is the center of the entertainment industry, so will clearly offer more opportunities hear "world-class musicians on a weekly basis." Poke around this site for a few weeks and draw your own conclusion as to whether it provides you with the level of access you would like: Houston News, Events, Restaurants, Music

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-16-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Another thing to consider is that in Houston, cost of living is much lower, so you might be able to live in a 'premier' neighborhood in Houston for about the same price as living in a lesser neighborhood in LA.
This ought to be a big part of the equation, as living in a nice place in LA has reached "nosebleed" territory.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This ought to be a big part of the equation, as living in a nice place in LA has reached "nosebleed" territory.
Not anymore than any other big city like Boston, NY, SF, Chicago, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
Like most people, I love to eat delicious food in great variety and quality. I'm also a musician, and while I do not wish to pursue a career in it, I would love to be able to get out and play, and hear good to world-class musicians on at weekly basis, in any genre. I'm 31 years-old, and great night-life for professionals would be very appealing.

I'm ASSUMING that LA would be better based on my criteria. Assuming that I'm correct in my assumption, is there a major drop-off between these two cities? Meaning, if were to experience these things in Los Angeles, and then Houston, I'd constantly wish I were in LA?

What say you, city-data?
As a musician; I do believe you will prefer to live in LA. LA's music scene has Houston beat by miles. As far as food and nightlife; I think you'd be content in either city.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
As somebody who has visited LA on numerous occasions and is a native of Houston, it will all depend on the kind of music you like to listen to. Houston has a few smaller venues at which local acts play and then there are larger venues at which more mainstream acts play. That said, I'd say our music landscape isn't as diverse as LA's simply b/c the entertainment industry in Houston re: music is virtually nonexistent. Houston is a tour stop, not a tour beginning/end. Everybody has different tastes is music so this will depend largely on you.

I would argue that Houston and LA are pretty much at a stalemate when it comes to food. You can get great food in both towns although I'm partial to my hometown just because I think the same, excellent meal in Houston will cost less than it would in LA.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Houston has a great restaurant scene. It has just about every kind of cuisine you could imagine and is priced well below what you would pay for comparable quality in most major cites. Will it offer the number of restaurants as LA? Of course not. But I doubt you will run out of places to eat well in Houston.

Music might be another matter. LA is the center of the entertainment industry, so will clearly offer more opportunities hear "world-class musicians on a weekly basis." Poke around this site for a few weeks and draw your own conclusion as to whether it provides you with the level of access you would like: Houston News, Events, Restaurants, Music
This

When it comes to variety of places to eat, Houston can & does hold a candle to LA. There is a reason Houstonians eat out more than any other city.

In the entertainment industry that's a whole other story. Not many places on Earth can equal LA.

Houston has a great Hip Hop/Rap scene, one of the best in the South, but that's about it.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
As a musician; I do believe you will prefer to live in LA. LA's music scene has Houston beat by miles. As far as food and nightlife; I think you'd be content in either city.
Does LA's music scene really have Houston's beat by miles? My brother is a well establisbed musician living here in LA. He's played with everyone from Mic Fleetwood, the Gap Band, the Jacksons, the Prague Philharmonic and dozens of others. But living in LA has absolutely no advantage, at least for him. He does everything through his website. Booking shows, selling his cds, tee shirts and other things. Since I've been living here I've only seen him perform twice in LA. Most of his shows are in Europe and Louisiana. I saw him last year in San Francisco and at the Monterey Jazz & Blues Festival. I also saw him at a beautiful outdoor festival outside of Barcelona. I think in the 80s things were different. My brother played at all the hot spots along the Sunset Strip and throughout LA. The Central(now the Viper Room), the Whiskey A Go Go, Madam Wongs, the Troubedor. Back then the clubs had real musicians playing real instruments. Oh well! Enough of my rambling!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
As a musician myself, I can tell you that Houston's music scene is terrible. People here like Mexican music, country, ghetto music, and top 40. Playing out you need to get used to empty clubs, gigs with no pay, and lack of overall interest.

Houston dining is great for Tex-Mex, chains, and upscale. There are some pretty good ethnic places if you are willing to get out and explore. Everybody in Houston claims they do, but they really don't. Houston's dining scene will lack the quirky and iconic places you will find in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City