Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Kind of surprising DC and San Francisco aren't in the list but San Diego is.
This is just for one year... 2009. Not every year combined. It's possible DC and San Fran just had a slouch that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 17,800 times
The next great US city is Portland. Maybe Houston, but what makes a great city is the city's culture and arts.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalvarez86 View Post
The next great US city is Portland. Maybe Houston, but what makes a great city is subjective
Fixed

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM

410 posts, read 633,535 times
in 15 years these cities can rival the top cities (Which I say is DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and Philly:
Boston (I think this is top already though..)
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Seattle
Minneapolis
Detroit really was one of the top tier cities at one point, the city is really a wild card but I predict it actually coming back up again
If you give the cities 20 years:
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Milwaukee
San Diego
Denver(?)
Baltimore
Miami
Austin

Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM

422 posts, read 815,335 times
That eliminates all landlocked places. As far as newcomers, that would put San Diego, Minneapolis, Seattle and perhaps Miami at a premium. That's not discounting the usual suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well, just think of yourself, for a moment. If gas was 10 dollars a gallon and was never going to drop below that level, it would change where you choose to live. Your goal, assuming you seek to maximize your living standards, would be to move as near to things as possible, to reduce your energy cost. Businesses would do the same. They would move to central places where they can reach the most people. So naturally high density population clusters will be more favorable than low density population clusters or relatively isolated population clusters.

If you need to distribute product to markets the most efficient market would be the higher density market were more people can be reached per mile driven. If a business entity is in an area where there are 50 million people in a 200 mile radius, that market will be more profitable in regards to transportation cost, than a market that it takes a 400 mile radius to reach as many people.

Density is a characteristic of scarcity of land or energy, in urban geography. Low density is a characteristic of land and or energy abundance. During peak-oil scarcity, low density areas that sprawl will be at a logistical disadvantage. Also, as I mentioned before, there is a theory, with evidence, that fresh water supplies will become much scarcer, especially in light of climate change and the growth of population in areas that does not have enough fresh water to support the population, which then has to pump in water from other areas. Hence, if you are a sprawled out area that is not located near large bodies of fresh water and are not on any natural trade route, those areas will be hit hard.

I think that regions that are part of mega regions, that have high density, that are near fresh waters, ports and the like will be the areas that are most viable in an era of energy and fresh water scarcity.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM

422 posts, read 815,335 times
I like your list. The ones that I bolded are the ones that I have questions about. The others I think are in the process of taking flight as we speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
in 15 years these cities can rival the top cities (Which I say is DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, SF and Philly:
Boston (I think this is top already though..)
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Seattle
Minneapolis
Detroit really was one of the top tier cities at one point, the city is really a wild card but I predict it actually coming back up again
If you give the cities 20 years:
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Milwaukee
San Diego
Denver(?)
Baltimore
Miami
Austin

Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
You know what the next great American City is? San Juan, Puerto Rico

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Somewhere (this is a long thread) someone made the comment about "world class shopping." If anyone has been in the Houston Galleria area on weekends, you will see that many Mexicans believe its worthwhile to fly in to Houston on weekends for some shopping. And for that matter, you will hear a lot of people speaking European languages other than English and Spanish walking through the mall.

But in all honesty doesnt every major metro have such a shopping destination?

Swap Mexicans for British and visit the mall in KOP, sadly these places are even bus stops on tours for foreign tourists. BTW KOP is like 45% larger than the galleria, actually more retail sq footage than MOA and they are building an additional 1.2 million sq outdoor shopping town center right next store. I hate this place and the galleria but seriously go to Atlanta or Jersey or Philly or Dallas and these malls are there.[/quote]

Everyplace doesn't. And someone claimed Houston didn't. And in Houston they literally fly in primarily to shop. As for what Houston has that NY doesn't is proximity to Mexico City.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
That eliminates all landlocked places. As far as newcomers, that would put San Diego, Minneapolis, Seattle and perhaps Miami at a premium. That's not discounting the usual suspects.

San Diego is in a desert. It wouldn't fit under your climate change scenario. I think Miami has issues with fresh water as well, but I could be mistaken. Austin and San Antonio have some difficulty significantly expanding their water supply. Basically anyone west of I-35 except those near the mountains (Seattle, Denver, Portland) has water issues.

But at some point desalinization becomes cost-effective.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM
bu2

But in all honesty doesnt every major metro have such a shopping destination?

Swap Mexicans for British and visit the mall in KOP, sadly these places are even bus stops on tours for foreign tourists. BTW KOP is like 45% larger than the galleria, actually more retail sq footage than MOA and they are building an additional 1.2 million sq outdoor shopping town center right next store. I hate this place and the galleria but seriously go to Atlanta or Jersey or Philly or Dallas and these malls are there.[/quote]

For the high end shopping the Dallas Galleria or Cumberland Galleria (Atlanta) or Phipps Plaza (Atlanta) don't quite match the original in Houston. Maybe Jersey or Philly do. There are certainly other places that do, but its not many. Dallas may well have it, but its not all concentrated like the Post Oak/Galleria stretch in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City