Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
And where will millions of people go? New Orleans doesn't have the land for it period. If it can't attract corporate relocations, get bigger, reduce that god awful crime, and increase immigration then it's not going anywhere. All I ever see on this forum isNew Orleans hype, it's annoying that some people actually consider it a top 10 important city. It's no where close and it will never be. Sprawling into BR will help make it bigger but LA is a very poor state, it gets more tax relief money than any other state except Mississippi
You don't need land to house people, Manhattan for example. Orleans Parish is far from capacity and could triple its population with normal infrastructure improvements. It will never sprawl into BR, suburban development stops at Kenner.
Besides, millions of people could easily fit on the northshore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
Part of the problem New Orleans has is that its' original reason for being is less important now. All the big Mississippi and Ohio river ports stagnated through the 20th century (New Orleans, Memphis, St Louis, St Paul, Louisville and Cincinnati). They were all built and grew to support river commerce but river commerce is a shadow of its' former self.

Ultimately economics builds cities. It can be ingonred for a few decades if a place is trendy but it always reasserts itself. Without strong economic growth in New Orleans it won't get much bigger. That will require some sort of economic paradigm shift in either New Orleans proper or the broader region it is the hub of.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-18-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
And where will millions of people go? New Orleans doesn't have the land for it period. If it can't attract corporate relocations, get bigger, reduce that god awful crime, and increase immigration then it's not going anywhere. All I ever see on this forum isNew Orleans hype, it's annoying that some people actually consider it a top 10 important city. It's no where close and it will never be. Sprawling into BR will help make it bigger but LA is a very poor state, it gets more tax relief money than any other state except Mississippi
Wow, I can tell you have such a love for the city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana. If you have ever been to New Orleans you might actually notice how much empty land there is all over the metro area. Actually in the city limits, out in New Orleans East about 70% of a lot of land is empty. But New Orleans never will reach the populations of these other places because it already has its historic neighborhoods that no one would ever want to mess with and it is not some newly established city that people can build where ever they want. Personally I would never want New Orleans proper to get too big, well at least never over its historic record(which was pretty high) but the metro can increase as much as it wants. But the New Orleans area and the state is a cultural mecca. Plus the New Orleans area contains the biggest port in the United States, so that could easily make it a very important city.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
All that last stat does is confirm what every one already knows... don't put too much stock in being a 'major port city' in 2012.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM

422 posts, read 815,617 times
I think calison knows that I live in Denver now so he's messing with me. Trust me, I know what Denver looks like as a top 12 city. I've lived in Chicago, Atlanta and manhattan. It's neither of those 3 but has some qualities of all of them. In many ways, it already competes with Atlanta. I know for a fact that it will continue to grow at a torrid pace. Just look at the pct growth amongst major metros.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only 5 metros in the top 20 grew more in the last 10 years. I believe Denver will be a top 10 in the next 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh c'mon guys. Denver is a rich, first world city with 3 Million people and is more advanced than most of the rest of the world. To say its not 'ripe for the global stage' denies the fact that it already is on the world stage and probably has a higher standard of living than most of Europe's major cities.

Same goes for every other major US Metro area. We may fight amongst ourselves but individually compete quite well with foreign counterparts.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I also would call Houston an up and coming American city with a bright future.
Yeah Houston is really on the move.

The talk recently is to turn Hobby into an international airport which would give the city of Houston two international airports (Hobby and IAH).

Southwest Airlines wants to pour millions into updating the runways at Hobby, while United- Continental is dumping millions at IAH as we speak.

Hobby is already the 3rd busiest airport in the State, upgrades would be an all around boost for the city. Major metros like NY and DC have multiple international airports

Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Based on the discussion so far, I think a lot of people on this thread are confused by the OP. What does the OP mean by tier 4 or 5? For me, a tier 4 metro has between 2-3 million and a tier 5 metro has between 1-2 million.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah Houston is really on the move.

The talk recently is to turn Hobby into an international airport which would give the city of Houston two international airports (Hobby and IAH).

Southwest Airlines wants to pour millions into updating the runways at Hobby, while United- Continental is dumping millions at IAH as we speak.

Hobby is already the 3rd busiest airport in the State, upgrades would be an all around boost for the city. Major metros like NY and DC have multiple international airports
The immediate DC metro has one and it is Dulles but point taken.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
The immediate DC metro has one and it is Dulles but point taken.

Are you talking Int'l? If so I am pretty sure BWI has quie a few Int'l flights and National has many many domestic options in DC

Houston is positioned well geographically though as a domestic hub and Int'l aiport to the South. Many of these central airports have large volumes due to locaion and hub and spoke systems. DC is more a destination airport and Int'l gateway; especially for Dulles

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,544 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself. This is why many people my age (our 20s) is flocking to Houston. I also would call Houston an up and coming American city with a bright future.
He is right about Houston here. Houston is a very good place to get that first job out of college. There are a lot of opportunities here for people from other states. This really isn't a place most people want to live, so the competition for the jobs is not fierce. Plus, you have the largest medical cente in the country, the port, the evil empire (oil and gas), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City