Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM

120 posts, read 208,862 times

Advertisements

Houston gets a bad rap, but it is decent for a tier 4 or 5 city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Houston gets a bad rap, but it is decent for a tier 4 or 5 city.
It's higher than a tier 5. I can see tier 4 if your tiers are:
Tier 1: NYC
Tier 2: LA, Chicago
Tier 3: SF and DC
Tier 4: Houston, Philly, Boston, DFW, Atlanta, Miami

I do believe economically, Houston has the best chance to jump into the next tier out of the tier 4 cities.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's higher than a tier 5. I can see tier 4 if your tiers are:
Tier 3: SF and DC
Tier 4: Houston, Philly, Boston, DFW, Atlanta, Miami

I do believe economically, Houston has the best chance to jump into the next tier out of the tier 4 cities.
I think Houston is already in Tier 3... in my opinion the tiers go as such.

Tier 3: SF, DC, Houston, Philly, Boston
Tier 4: Dallas/FW, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle etc. etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Other than people on CD, I never hear anybody here say that they love living in Houston. Houston is OK. It is not terrible (except for the heat), and it is not wonderful. As far as QOL and things to do it is not up there with the big boys yet.
I know several people in real life there who say they love it, but a lot of them live in what's considered the great neighborhoods. I also know people who have moved away from it and say they really miss it. I always have a great time when I go.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I know several people in real life there who say they love it, but a lot of them live in what's considered the great neighborhoods. I also know people who have moved away from it and say they really miss it. I always have a great time when I go.
I've also heard people say, IRL, that they love living here. Not only that, but glad to either have moved to Houston, or to have moved BACK to Houston.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I've also heard people say, IRL, that they love living here. Not only that, but glad to either have moved to Houston, or to have moved BACK to Houston.
Every place has people that love it, like it, think it's okay, dislike it or hate it. No place in the world is an exception to this.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I will say Houston. Still fill like this city does not get any respect on CD.
It does and it doesnt care. Its a city that works and can be lived in. I also think the city includes more than just down town. CD posters seem overly focused on DT. Cost of living is part of my reality, Disney land type cities dont appeal to me nor high cost of living (real estate priced out of the most workers range) cities. I am looking for a city I can live in and afford to do the thing I like while living in residence I enjoy. Houston and Dallas both fit that to a T not NYC or LA or SF. Priced themselves out of the market for a city to live in or visit for most.

The dislike of fossil fuels and dirty look of ports puts off those wondering which cities celebs live in or which city has the most tourist. The widening of the Panama Canal is going to be a boon to a big port city like Houston in trade with Asia to the detriment of high cost ports on the west coast. So hang on folks....Houston is coming on strong.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 03-27-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think Houston is already in Tier 3... in my opinion the tiers go as such.

Tier 3: SF, DC, Houston, Philly, Boston
Tier 4: Dallas/FW, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle etc. etc.
I agree, and I agree with your tier ranking, although I would bump DC to tier two

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Every place has people that love it, like it, think it's okay, dislike it or hate it. No place in the world is an exception to this.
oh i know. Just speaking in response to one(s) that feel not many IRL speak in favor of living in Houston.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
500-1kppsm; UA is meaningless, at that density Philly's UA goes on forever. 3kppsm should he the threshold, and even that is fairly diluted, but gives a much more accurate picture of the real connected urban(ish) built environment. That would reduce every cities numbers considerably, Philly's UA would be somewhere around 4mil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City