Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
?????? Atlanta and Dallas have more fortune 500 companies headquartered in their cities than any cities beside Houston and NYC. Dallas and Atlanta are an enormous part of the american economy

People have never heard of Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Delta , Exxon, Home Depot, UPS, Coca Cola, AT&T ,Aflac Insurance, Georgia Pacific, Suntrust, Texas Instruments?
Yes, Atlanta and Dallas are already great US cities. But what I said pertains to the top 5.

Further, city limits is a ticklish subject. Chicago, and San Francisco both have more F 500 companies than Atlanta and DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:09 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Oh, you'd be wrong then. It all depends on what you're talking about, but the Bay Area is already much more influential to the world than LA or especially Chicago.
How so?

Quote:
The computer you're using right now, the iPhone in your pocket, the networking gear this information is being transmitted over.
I do not own or operate any Apple products.

Quote:
NY, DC, SF, and LA are by far the most influential cities in the country and maybe the world. That's THE growth industry and THE signature job market, and the SF area dominates it.
San Francisco does not dominate any one of these cities.

Quote:
I don't use anything on a daily basis that came from anywhere near Chicago. I don't know what Chicago's signature industries are, or if they even have any. I just included it because it's the capital of the midwest and has large skyscrapers, so that's at least something.
You've just admitted you know nothing about Chicago. You should do some research before you make comments on places you know nothing about.

Quote:
Austin is rising up to be something of a "SF Lite."
Absolutely not.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:29 PM

492 posts, read 535,038 times
There are several cities that with the current growth rate might hit the 10 million mark in the next 30 years which I feel is the benchmark for a truly great city. The cities I can think of are Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.. The migration to sun belt region won't stop any time soon and in 30 years I believe all of these cities will be looking at a 10 million+ plus populations.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:27 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I do not own or operate any Apple products..
This response makes little sense in regards to what he/she said (I do think the original comment was kind of lame though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
San Francisco does not dominate any one of these cities...
Again, this response does not make sense in regards to what he/she said. I'll admit the original comment could have been more clear... here it is: "That's THE growth industry and THE signature job market, and the SF area dominates it. "

He/she is not referring to cities but is referring to the tech industry which is THE growth industry and THE signature job market and the SF area dominates it.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes, Atlanta and Dallas are already great US cities. But what I said pertains to the top 5.

Further, city limits is a ticklish subject. Chicago, and San Francisco both have more F 500 companies than Atlanta and DFW.
I know what you are saying about how city limits and csa's can get sort of ridiculous but I havent seen any article that doesnt have houston right behind nyc for fortune 500 companies and atlanta and dallas in the top rankings of cities. These charts are from 2011 and Texas just continues to grow

Basically what I am saying is that its impossible to talk about the american economy and top cities without mentioning the overwhelming influence of Texas and sunbelt cities like Houston,Dallas,Austin and Atlanta on economic growth in this country. If Texas were a nation it would be one of the most powerful economies in the world and with high speed rail, I really see the texas triangle as being the dominant region in the future . The growth in the sunbelt is just phenomenal.

charts from wikimedia commons

Old 10-08-2015, 05:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:

Atlanta/DFW both have more in their CSA than those cities.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Lots of delusion in this thread.

1st Austin is becoming a greater city but no where close enough to be in this discussion.

2nd with all its woes LA is still, and will be for a very long time to come, one of the top 3 cities in this country.

3rd SF had earned it's spot in the top 5 but for now that's all I say it has earned.

4th don't count out Chicago prematurely.

5th Seattle, like Austin, is being given too much credit.

6th places like DFW and ATL won't Crack the top 5 unless they become important for something other than being a good place to make a cheap living.
Someone doesn't know a lot about DFW or Atlanta. These two are probably right outside the top 5, along with Boston, Philly, and Houston.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
There is a huge difference between a world class city that has produced numerous fortune 500 companies and still harbors them, and a city who baits other city's companies to come because they can avoid paying taxes and other expenses that go along with being a first world country.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:00 PM

IMO, a great city(a world hitter) must have socially connected with the world, culturally connected with the world, and economically connected with the world along with great infrastructure that makes a city....well a city.

Currently, only 5 cities do this in America: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, D.C...they're all relevant in the 3 categories I mentioned along with decent or great infrastructure(things like a heavy rail system or a great bus system or things that makes these cities a city like density and walkability).

Cities that I believe can do well in all 3 categories in the next 20 years are: Boston, Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami...maybe even Philadelphia though I still can't shake this feeling that this city has peaked. It does feel like the city has revived though.

Boston, while economically and culturally connected, I feel lacks on the social front. It has good infrastructure though and I feel is the closest to world class of the cities I mentioned that are up and coming.

Seattle is becoming very economically, socially, and culturally connected with the world, but still not fully there and still lacks in infrastructure(not much of a rail system though it's building it up along with central density).

Atlanta is becoming socially, culturally, and economically connected, but still not fully there(though it's known as a Hip Hop capital and is becoming a big entertainment center). It lacks in infrastructure with a subpar rail system and a very lacking bus system. Along with that, central density is not where it needs to be, not anywhere near the levels of the 5 world class cities or the two cities mentioned above.

Houston is very socially and economically connected, but it lacks culturally. Along with that, while it does have great freeway architecture, that to me does not make cities world class. You need extensive rail system and a good bus system(I know Houston recently upgraded it's bus system though). Central density/walkability is not at the level it needs to be.

Dallas is similar to Houston, but less socially connected, but similarly economically connected, but also lacks culturally. It has an extensive light rail system, but it's underutilized. Bus system is lacking along with central density/walkability.

Miami is socially and culturally connected, but lacks economically IMO. Rail system lacks along with a subpar bus system. Infrastructure is not where it needs to be. There is a high central density, but relatively low walkability. Projects have only recently began to be more pedestrian friendly. Large mega projects could change the city forever in the next 5-10 years.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There is a huge difference between a world class city that has produced numerous fortune 500 companies and still harbors them, and a city who baits other city's companies to come because they can avoid paying taxes and other expenses that go along with being a first world country.
Atlanta has had multiple fortune 500 companies that have been here for a very long time: Delta Airlines, Coca Cola, Home Depot, and Suntrust are what immediately come to mind for Atlanta. Delta/Coca Cola are international companies that are very well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City