Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Houston also has the title of you dollar going futher, higher home ownership, ranked as one of the best cities to start up a small business for women and minorites.. was one of only a handful of cities that recouped it jobs lose to the recess.. was one of only a handful of cities to avoid the housing market crash.. payed for two of it three rail lines out of it own pocket.. does that mean it perfect hell no but it is in a hellva lot better shape than alot of us cities
How's that nearly 20 billion dollar deficit workin' for Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
How's that nearly 20 billion dollar deficit workin' for Houston?
His post is funny considering Houston is probably in a recession right now and has seen negative job growth for multiple months this year. Yeah, the recession itself may have not hit the city hard, but it's not exactly doing that well at the moment while other cities are basking in pretty strong job growth.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta has had multiple fortune 500 companies that have been here for a very long time: Delta Airlines, UPS, Coca Cola, Home Depot, and Suntrust are what immediately come to mind for Atlanta.
Atlanta is definitely synomomus with those brands. I was more or less just commenting on a much wider trend than just ATL. I just don't see adding additional fortune 500 companies brings a city to that true world class level. I am in the minority and think that America has precisely one true elite world class city and that's NYC. Literally every other city has some sort of problems or is lacking in something that the true world class cities have.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There is a huge difference between a world class city that has produced numerous fortune 500 companies and still harbors them, and a city who baits other city's companies to come because they can avoid paying taxes and other expenses that go along with being a first world country.
I dont know of many top fortune 500 companies who move to avoid paying taxes unless are they are moving offshore or overseas. Some states have a better business climate and are just better places to relocate but its all about the choices state leaders make. Sectors like tech and energy have just done alot better than manufacturing.

A state like california was smart to get into technology and biotech and not completely rely on financial and manufacturing, they lost alot of defense contracts to virginia and maryland but tech and biotech has kept california booming. A place like texas has always had a huge presence in the energy sector, 3 of the companies in the top 20 of fortune 500 are in texas and are oil companies

Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Atlanta is definitely synomomus with those brands. I was more or less just commenting on a much wider trend than just ATL. I just don't see adding additional fortune 500 companies brings a city to that true world class level. I am in the minority and think that America has precisely one true elite world class city and that's NYC. Literally every other city has some sort of problems or is lacking in something that the true world class cities have.
I'm somewhat liberal with the world class city designation and don't relegate it to just huge metropolises like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc.

Like, for example, if Sydney can be considered world class(it does extremely well in a lot of metrics), than SF, LA and Chicago can be considered world class. All three of these cities are considered top 20 on most lists of cities that come out from different think tanks. D.C. too.

Would people on here consider Barcelona world class? I think it is. Same as Amsterdam.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
I'm somewhat liberal with the world class city designation and don't relegate it to just huge metropolises like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc.

Like, for example, if Sydney can be considered world class(it does extremely well in a lot of metrics), than SF, LA and Chicago can be considered world class. All three of these cities are considered top 20 on most lists of cities that come out from different think tanks. D.C. too.

Would people on here consider Barcelona world class? I think it is. Same as Amsterdam.

I can see where you are going. I would just split the group in two. One group the true world cities. If I tried to sum up the other group I would call them world class tourist cities.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-08-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Someone doesn't know a lot about DFW or Atlanta. These two are probably right outside the top 5, along with Boston, Philly, and Houston.
Being right outside and cracking it are two different things. Read what I said.

Quote:
Atlanta/DFW both have more in their CSA than those cities.
No they don't.
NY has the most, then Chicago, then SF, then Houston, then DFW, then I think it's LA then ATL then I think MSP etc

List of F 500 by CSA:

- New York: 88
- Chicago: 31
- San Francisco Bay Area: 30
- Houston: 26
- Dallas/Fort Worth: 21
- Los Angeles: 20
- Atlanta: 18
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul: 17
- Washington DC-Baltimore: 16
- Detroit: 13
- Boston: 13
- Seattle: 10
- Philadelphia: 8
- Denver: 9
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale: 7

Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
Quote:
His post is funny considering Houston is probably in a recession right now and has seen negative job growth for multiple months this year. Yeah, the recession itself may have not hit the city hard, but it's not exactly doing that well at the moment while other cities are basking in pretty strong job growth.
Sign of things to come? I always thought Detroit and Houston had a couple parallels. Call me crazy, but think about it-sprawling, low-density development during a huge boom period (Detroit's development at the time of its boom phase in the 20s/30s was considered sprawling), lots of automobile infrastructure and dependence, focus on a singular industry (auto for Detroit, oil/energy for Houston) are all things that early 20th century Detroit and 21st century Houston have in common. So in the far flung future, could Houston go through what Detroit did post-1950? Just a theory. And for the record, I do wish the best for Houston, and quite honestly, think it's more likely that Detroit becomes the next Houston (crazy boom town, again). For real, I'm predicting in the next 50 years Detroit will go through some major changes and reach a level not unlike that of Boston, SF, Philly or DC.

Last edited by OuttaTheLouBurbs; 10-08-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Oil is very cyclic though and Houston also has a large medical industry. Houston will boom again when oil prices rise again which they will at some point. I don't think Houston and Detroit compare at all.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Oil is very cyclic though and Houston also has a large medical industry. Houston will boom again when oil prices rise again which they will at some point. I don't think Houston and Detroit compare at all.

what is the large medical industry? The medical center? Overall houston is avearge at best in terms of the medical economy in the relative sense. I only ask as on here everybody cites the TMC yet in my industry no one thinks Houston as a life sciences major player. Great center and phenominal reserch but in terms of economy its one small piece of the medical industry and large hospital facilities are in every city, where is the rest of the life sciences industry in Houston, just dont see it personally

It would be like saying Philadelphia is a large finace center because of vangaurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City