Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times

Advertisements

Many people have said that Houston is on the verge of challenging the top 5 cities. Others have said that Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Denver and Miami all have the infrastructure and geographical location to make a surge in the near future. I'm looking at the following criteria to gauge upward mobility:

Currently a 4th or 5th tier city
Supports growth industries (alternative energy, technology, healthcare, etc)
Desire to want to be bigger and better
Signature job market (government, IT, petroleum, seaport)
User friendly geographical location

I personally like the places that I mentioned. I would be open to include San Diego, Minneapolis and Austin (or New Orleans).

1st tier - NY
2nd tier - LA, Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Many people have said that Houston is on the verge of challenging the top 5 cities. Others have said that Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Denver and Miami all have the infrastructure and geographical location to make a surge in the near future. I'm looking at the following criteria to gauge upward mobility:

Currently a 4th or 5th tier city
Supports growth industries (alternative energy, technology, healthcare, etc)
Desire to want to be bigger and better
Signature job market (government, IT, petroleum, seaport)
User friendly geographical location

I personally like the places that I mentioned. I would be open to include San Diego, Minneapolis and Austin (or New Orleans).

1st tier - NY
2nd tier - LA, Chicago
75 South. Hmm? Atlanta?!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
New Orleans in about 5 years will be near the top...just wait and see...
That will never happen!! Look at this NYC, SF, Chicago, LA, D.C., and NEW ORLEANS?!?!

New Orleans is undeserving of even being mentioned in the same sentence as those other 5 let alone Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, and Seattle

Old 03-17-2012, 11:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
I don't know. The OP sounds like he/she is not looking for #5 or #6, but an emerging city.

I would have though Jacksonville FL had a lot in its corner, for the port and the location, not as far down south as Miami and close to Atlanta, but after seeing it once, I am doubtful that it can shed its backwater image so quickly. It used to be a more important city and one that was a big player in the earlier days of the film industry.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Funny the OP managed to sneakily throw in Denver in the conversation, Denver is a tier 5-6 city, not in the same league as ATL, Dallas, MIA, etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
What makes New Orleans so undeserving?? New Orleans is one of this country's must see gems...
It's not undeserving but people will have a hard time believing it can be the next great city. It was once in that position and at its geographic location and with the way the city is going now it will be on its way.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 AM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Good catch, Cali! I figured I would give America some options. Some people truly believe that some of the tier 4 or 5 cities are ripe for the global stage. I'm not smart enough to know the answer. That's why I through it out to you good folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Funny the OP managed to sneakily throw in Denver in the conversation, Denver is a tier 5-6 city, not in the same league as ATL, Dallas, MIA, etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Oh c'mon guys. Denver is a rich, first world city with 3 Million people and is more advanced than most of the rest of the world. To say its not 'ripe for the global stage' denies the fact that it already is on the world stage and probably has a higher standard of living than most of Europe's major cities.

Same goes for every other major US Metro area. We may fight amongst ourselves but individually compete quite well with foreign counterparts.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I will say Houston. Still fill like this city does not get any respect on CD.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM

441 posts, read 885,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
That will never happen!! Look at this NYC, SF, Chicago, LA, D.C., and NEW ORLEANS?!?!

New Orleans is undeserving of even being mentioned in the same sentence as those other 5 let alone Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, and Seattle
For a good portion of the 1800's NOLA was one of the premier cities of the US... I don't see why given good management and fortune that can't happen again?

From Wikipedia's article on the city:

Quote:
New Orleans reached its most consequential position as an economic and population center in relation to other American cities in the decades prior to 1860; as late as that year it was the nation's fifth-largest city and by far the largest in the American South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City