Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Riverside-San Bernardino MSA vs. Phoenix MSA?
Riverside-San Bernardino MSA 21 52.50%
Phoenix MSA 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Oh, so the logic being used here is in close proximity to another place, then that place automatically has the same attributes as the other place.

Good, Philadelphia is as close to NYC as most of the IE is to LA, so that means Philadelphia automatically gets all the attributes of NYC.
Most of the IE is located 40-70 miles from LA/OC (approx 1 hour drive). Philly is ~100 miles from New York City (approx 2 hour drive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:22 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Most of the IE is located 40-70 miles from LA/OC (approx 1 hour drive). Philly is ~100 miles from New York City (approx 2 hour drive).
No. City limit to City Limit, Philadelphia to NYC is 46 miles as the crow flies. 12740 Knights Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19154 to 4840 Arthur Kill Rd, Staten Island, NY 10309 - Google Maps Via the road, its only 60 miles, which is less than the distance from Riverside or San Bernardino to Los Angeles, never mind other places in the Inland Empire like Palm Springs or Barstow.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The Riverside-San Bernardino MSA is part of the LA CSA, and really is an extension of the LA area.

Phoenix very much is a standalone city/metro area.

As far as access to different areas, well Riverside-San Bernardino obviously wins hands down being close to LA.

And really the Inland Empire (as its really called) is not really in a true desert. Its on the drier side of Mediterranean. Its not until you get a little further east in Palm Springs is where it becomes true desert.

Other than that, yeah, I guess you might say they have a lot in common.
That's what I was gonna say. I can't really say Riverside-San Berdo can be considered it's on independent area like Phoenix can. Again, Riverside-San Bernardino is just an extension of the Los Angeles Metro area. So economically and industrially it really works with the LA area than alone as it's own entity. For that, I say Phoenix MSA wins. But yeah, Phoenix still doesn't have beaches and being 5 hours from LA isn't as nice as being 45 minutes away (depending on traffic of course).

Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Lets say a person just really liked Phoenix. They liked the incredibly dry weather, clear skies , clear nights, and the overall brown landscape of the city. But, they were also considering the inland empire area as a place to relocate. Would the weather difference alone be enough to persuade somebody to choose San Bernardino/Riverside instead, even if they actually preferred the look of PHX? Both areas get hot in the summertime, although Phoenix gets hotter.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Lets say a person just really liked Phoenix. They liked the incredibly dry weather, clear skies , clear nights, and the overall brown landscape of the city. But, they were also considering the inland empire area as a place to relocate. Would the weather difference alone be enough to persuade somebody to choose San Bernardino/Riverside instead, even if they actually preferred the look of PHX? Both areas get hot in the summertime, although Phoenix gets hotter.
To me, Yes, but I hate super hot weather. The IE has nice parts but on the whole it isn't as nice as the Phoenix area. Also, I would have to assume this would also depend on the job markets of both MSAs. There's a good deal of diversity in the IE for jobs and you can always work in LA and commute as many people already do. To me what makes the IE more appealing is being next door to Los Angeles which offers a lot to do for work and recreation. And the IE is less isolated, than PHX also. so...there is that. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 7,589 times
Climate? Inland Empire
Urbanity? Phoenix
Access to Different Areas? Inland Empire
Diversity? Inland Empire
Economy? Inland Empire since Long Beach ports can't function without our railways
Cost of Living? Phoenix
Quality of Life? Phoenix

Phoenix very much is a standalone city/metro area.

As far as access to different areas, well Riverside-San Bernardino obviously wins hands down being close to LA.

And really the Inland Empire (as its really called) is not really in a true desert. Its on the drier side of Mediterranean. Its not until you get a little further east in Palm Springs is where it becomes true desert.

Other than that, yeah, I guess you might say they have a lot in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City