Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
New York: Large, cosmopolitan, skyscrapers, diverse,

DC: Politicians, power, influence, Capital, diverse

Los Angeles: Hollywood, plastic surgery, diverse, strip malls

San Francisco: Fog, liberal, large asian population, expensive real estate

Chicago: Mini NY, midwest, brats and beer, pizza, eastern european immigration, lake

Philly: Cheesesteak, sports fans, diverse, dangerous, dirty

Boston: Universities, sports fans, segregated, transient, good for the under-30

Atlanta: African American, music, race relations with state

Dallas: low cost of living, dirty, chip-on-shoulder

San Diego: Beaches, weather, fish tacos

Seattle: Cool, progressive, clean

Minneapolis: clean, progressive, cold

Miami: Vibrant, loud, colorful, beautiful beaches, diverse
What????? Are you talking about Dallas, Texas? It's the exact opposite from Dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Most people tend to link Dallas with the TV show, George Bush, the Dallas Cowboys, western culture, and big hair. Funny thing is that big hair and the TV show have virtually no bearing on modern day Dallas. I do feel as The Dallas area grows and diversifies further, the identity of the city and area will solidify and distance itself from its traditional stereotypes.
No it won't. Because people will still hold their tired sterotypes deep in their hearts.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,790 times
New York - The Best City. NYC is the center of the universe. Wall Street and Yankees.
LA - Fun city with great weather. Hollywood and Lakers.
San Francisco - Romantic city. Sun shining on the Golden Gate Bridge.
Chicago - Awesome city and awesome people. Great energy and lots of pride. John Hughes movies.
Philly - Most underrated city in America. Philly is a real city with real people. Eagles fans are hardcore.
Boston - Most arrogant people in America. Old city with lots of charm and character. The Sox at Fenway.
Dallas - Republican and Christian. Texas swagger. George W. Bush and Nolan Ryan. Southfork Ranch.
Atlanta - Black people with money. Lots of transplants. Good weather. Capitol of the South.
San Diego - Best weather and best quality of life in the country. Very cozy and comfortable city.
Seattle - Arrogant but not as arrogant as Boston. Inferiority complex, depressing weather and isolated.
Portland - Underrated city. Has an edge to it that Seattle used to have in the early 90's.
D.C. - Politics and transplants. Hail to the Redskins. City with a northern and southern feel. Unique town.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
New York is "where it's at" lol

LA is 1,700 miles of identical tract homes, 94,000 strip malls, self-absorbed celebrities and 18 trillion Mexicans.

Miami is old Jewish Women, 40 million Mosquitoes and Cubans... lol

those are what I've heard, by no means do I believe they are true.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
If you ever live in New England you will get it. Every state has its own accent. And the cities within each state have an accent. I could tell you if someone was from Portland Maine, Boston, or Providence RI easily.
As far as New England goes, I seriously doubt I'll ever live there. I like CT ok, but then I have relatives there and they can be more like NYC folks. I guess I like RI. Providence looks nice and Newport is beautiful. The remaining states would be too smug for my taste.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Based on a mix of media portrayals and personal experience, here's mine...

New York- Several come to my mind. One would be the tough mafia Italian guys, another the hood blacks and latinos, the wacky jews, or the overly posh people from the Upper East Side who speak like they still live in the 1940s.

LA- Yuppie socialite always on their mobile and saying "like OMG" every other sentence. Another would be a cholo from East LA with a chicano accent.

San Francisco- Smug, trust fund hippies

Chicago- Never been, can't say

Philly- Wannabe thug AKA "wigger"

Boston- Either an extremely preppy family with history in the Ivy League schools or someone from an Irish/Italian area with a stereotypical Boston accent who acts all tough.

Atlanta- Stereotypical black rapper (not racist, just how I think, I mean it is the hip hop capital of the nation).

Dallas- Drives a Suburban, lives in a brick mini-mansion, woman with big hair.

San Diego- Military brats and surfer dudes

Seattle- More trust fund hippies, especially in the east-side suburbs. More rugged, outdoors-y people who still dress like those from the grunge era in other parts.

Portland- Hipsters and eco-freaks to the max.

DC- Can't decide as I've never been here.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
New York - Business men in suits, talking without Rs, ultra-diverse, pizza
LA - Hollywood stars, ultra-diverse, cheeseburgers
San Francisco - Chinese culture, hippies, and just all-around unusual (in a good way) people
Chicago - Skyscrapers, hot dogs
Philly - Historical attractions, cheesesteaks
Boston - Educated professionals
Atlanta - Rap and hip hop music, capital of the "New South"
Dallas - Cowboys
San Diego - Beach culture, palm trees, Sea World
Seattle - Techies, coffee
Portland - just all-around unusual (in a good way) people
DC - Politics

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
New York - Business men in suits, talking without Rs, ultra-diverse, pizza
LA - Hollywood stars, ultra-diverse, cheeseburgers
San Francisco - Chinese culture, hippies, and just all-around unusual (in a good way) people
Chicago - Skyscrapers, hot dogs
Philly - Historical attractions, cheesesteaks
Boston - Educated professionals
Atlanta - Rap and hip hop music, capital of the "New South"
Dallas - Cowboys
San Diego - Beach culture, palm trees, Sea World
Seattle - Techies, coffee
Portland - just all-around unusual (in a good way) people
DC - Politics
That's a rep point for you, I have always thought LA has the most cheeseburger joints than any other city, cheeseburgers are to LA what a hotdogs are to Chicago or NYC

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Based on a mix of media portrayals and personal experience, here's mine...

New York- Several come to my mind. One would be the tough mafia Italian guys, another the hood blacks and latinos, the wacky jews, or the overly posh people from the Upper East Side who speak like they still live in the 1940s.

LA- Yuppie socialite always on their mobile and saying "like OMG" every other sentence. Another would be a cholo from East LA with a chicano accent.

San Francisco- Smug, trust fund hippies

Chicago- Never been, can't say

Philly- Wannabe thug AKA "wigger"

Boston- Either an extremely preppy family with history in the Ivy League schools or someone from an Irish/Italian area with a stereotypical Boston accent who acts all tough.

Atlanta- Stereotypical black rapper (not racist, just how I think, I mean it is the hip hop capital of the nation).

Dallas- Drives a Suburban, lives in a brick mini-mansion, woman with big hair.

San Diego- Military brats and surfer dudes

Seattle- More trust fund hippies, especially in the east-side suburbs. More rugged, outdoors-y people who still dress like those from the grunge era in other parts.

Portland- Hipsters and eco-freaks to the max.

DC- Can't decide as I've never been here.
Pretty good. Thank you for NOT being politically correct. Haven't heard the word cholo in a while. Yes, San Francisco IS smug, compared to SoCal. I don't know how those types can afford to live in Boston, unless their parents bought the house at one point. The Dallas folks will get irked with the big hair comment, but big hair will always be Texas. San Diego: "surfs up, dude." Portland, the highest dosage of these types, it seems.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times
New York: Haven't been there. My mother lived there. Would visit but would never live there based on historically negative vicarious experiences I've had through friends, family, and acquaintances. There are 1000's of better places to live in the U.S.
LA: Haven't been there.
San Francisco: Visited for awhile and was about to move there but... my one word conclusion about SF: D R U G S.
Chicago: Haven't been there. No desire to check it out.
Philly: Haven't been there. Hope to check it out someday.
Boston: Self-righteous ****s. That's it. Shut the **** up Bostonians.
Atlanta: The black version of everything enlightened white people hate about white people. Materialistic and fake. Wouldn't live there if you paid me.
Dallas: Arrogant AND ignorant. What a combo.
San Diego: Gay, in every possible connotation.
Seattle: Depressed. Lived there for many years. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning a suicide attempt.
Portland: Fake. Fake. Fake. Fake people annoy me. The rest of Oregon is real btw. Wonderful state actually.
DC: The prism of American Dream creation, greed, and corruption.

Gawd, after this I'm reconsidering my previous plans of moving to Canada! Christ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City