Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 PM

135 posts, read 179,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanbassline View Post
New York: Haven't been there. My mother lived there. Would visit but would never live there based on historically negative vicarious experiences I've had through friends, family, and acquaintances. There are 1000's of better places to live in the U.S.
LA: Haven't been there.
San Francisco: Visited for awhile and was about to move there but... my one word conclusion about SF: D R U G S.
Chicago: Haven't been there. No desire to check it out.
Philly: Haven't been there. Hope to check it out someday.
Boston: Self-righteous ****s. That's it. Shut the **** up Bostonians.
Atlanta: The black version of everything enlightened white people hate about white people. Materialistic and fake. Wouldn't live there if you paid me.
Dallas: Arrogant AND ignorant. What a combo.
San Diego: Gay, in every possible connotation.
Seattle: Depressed. Lived there for many years. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning a suicide attempt.
Portland: Fake. Fake. Fake. Fake people annoy me. The rest of Oregon is real btw. Wonderful state actually.
DC: The prism of American Dream creation, greed, and corruption.

Gawd, after this I'm reconsidering my previous plans of moving to Canada! Christ!
Bonus points for reviving a thread 812 days later, especially as your first post....... but...... you really need to spend a bit more time in Southern California. Something about San Diego (even Hillcrest) does not exactly scream "gay". And I also really cannot decipher what you mean about a "prism" of creation, greed and corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 05:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
These stereotypes don't reflect my personal opinions/preconceptions. Frankly, I've found most of these stereotypes to be complete and utter bullsh** in my experience. Or at best, outdated. This is just mainly what I hear most from others as well as see frequently on this site. OK, here goes...

New York - Overcrowded, dirty (extremely outdated stereotype), overly expensive (true), superior in every category

LA - Plastic, fake, shallow, gang-ridden, blonde, suburban

San Francisco - Snooty, uber-liberal, full of freaks, dominated by gay culture, impossible to drive in

Chicago - Cold, windy, violent, sports-obsessed

Philly - Dirty, dangerous, decaying, belligerent

Boston - Ivy League, Irish, snooty, provincial

Atlanta - Nouveau-riche, traffic-congested, New South, Black

Dallas - Big hair, rich rednecks, Bible Belt, plastic, overconfident, conservative

San Diego - Military town, haven for illegal immigrants, conservative

Seattle - Constant rain and grey skies, snooty, aloof, hippies, grunge, coffee-addicted

Portland - Kooky, uber-liberal, "weird", hip

DC - Transient, stressed out, expensive, career-obsessed, yuppie-dominated

Addendum: Here are a few more cities, not on this list, that I often hear stereotypes about. Once again, this is mainly what I hear and read, and in no way reflects my opinions...

Houston - everyone is fat, smells like petrochemicals, humid (true), dangerous, car-obsessed

Phoenix - insanely hot, suburban, boring, retiree-dominated, conservative, culture-less

Miami - no one speaks English, all the women are gorgeous, cocaine cowboys, perfect weather (uh, no)

Detroit - giant ghetto, almost completely abandoned, everyone is a tough guy, murder capitol

Austin - everyone is a musician or songwriter, super-liberal, self-involved, giant college town

New Orleans - one big ghetto, racist, everyone is a drunk, half the city still laid to waste by Katrina.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 07-13-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
San Diego: Full of mouthy drunks that live near a pretty beach

Minneapolis: "Really nice people" that are a bunch of cold back stabbers especially in the work place. Passive aggressive. Mostly miserable Scandinavians blooded.

NYC: Overly aggressive, direct, honest, engrossed in pro-union and organized crime related activities

Houston: A big polluted sprawl where everyone is miserable and overweight

Phoenix: A bunch of Midwest transplants that play golf all the time and are pro desert

Los Angeles: Fake, expensive cars, polluted, palm trees on fire, gangs, plastic surgery

Miami: The 6th borough, nasty & stuck up people, melting pot.

San Francisco: Burnt out hippies, Barbara Boxer Democrats, Hipsters, Tech nerds.

Seattle: Stereotypes of Minneapolis but on the west coast but with even more smug, self centered people.

Denver: Pot, Dry, lacks water, everyone is obsessed with the Mountains for no apparent reason

DC: Social climbing political junkies - soulless

Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

Minneapolis: "Really nice people" that are a bunch of cold back stabbers especially in the work place. Passive aggressive. Mostly miserable Scandinavians blooded.

NYC: Overly aggressive, direct, honest, engrossed in pro-union and organized crime related activities

Phoenix: A bunch of Midwest transplants that play golf all the time and are pro desert

Los Angeles: Fake, expensive cars, polluted, palm trees on fire, gangs, plastic surgery

San Francisco: Burnt out hippies, Barbara Boxer Democrats, Hipsters, Tech nerds.

Seattle: Stereotypes of Minneapolis but on the west coast but with even more smug, self centered people.

Denver: Pot, Dry, lacks water, everyone is obsessed with the Mountains for no apparent reason

Okayyy! You went in real hard on the cities lol.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

Miami - no one speaks English, all the women are gorgeous, cocaine cowboys, perfect weather from November until April (uh, no)
I fixed that for ya.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:25 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

What?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
What?
Miami is known to be the 6th borough of NYC due to the large influence of yorkies and pure number of them in soflo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City