Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cleveland has the highest metro GDP and Columbus the lowest unemployment rate of the three:
List of metropolitan areas in the United States by GMP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Columbus also continues to grow, while the other two continue to decline in population (for the cities proper).
So? In 2011, Cincinnati created more jobs than Cleveland and Columbus combined--and Cleveland had the dubious distinction of losing population in both the city proper and the metropolitan area.

Last edited by motorman; 03-22-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im not saying your ranking is wrong because you know TX better than I but I would like to humbly point out that San Antonio has more Fortune 500 companies than Austin--4 vs 2.

Not saying this changes anything but I do think its worth mentioning.
yes, but the GDP's are about the same, The two are close but Austin in my opinion has more going on and thus edges out SA. Austin is more well rounded even though most people would think of it as an overgrown college town/ capital
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You are right. I would give Austin the edge due to it being the state capital and home to UT. Texas would be one of the larger economies in the world if it was a country. State capitals have a lot of influence on that of course. San Antonio the easy pick for 4th.
I agree. Austin edges out SA.

Both are growing fast, we will have to wait and see if one stumble before the other

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
For Georgia I'd have to guess either Macon or Savannah.
Nah, it's pretty much Augusta. Savannah comes second mainly because of the port.

Quote:
North Carolina might be Winston-Salem.
Going by cities, it would be Durham. By metros (CSAs), it would be the Triad, of which Winston-Salem is a part.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post

For Louisiana, either Baton Rouge or Shreveport.
Baton Rouge is the second largest city and metro, the state capitol, and second economic engine for the state. Shreveport is the third largest city and metro and plays second fiddle to BR. It's more like Lafayette or Shreveport for #3.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nah, it's pretty much Augusta. Savannah comes second mainly because of the port.

Going by cities, it would be Durham. By metros (CSAs), it would be the Triad, of which Winston-Salem is a part.
Greensboro or winston would be #3 in NC...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Greensboro or winston would be #3 in NC...
Going by cities alone, I'd have to give it to Durham. Most of RTP is in Durham County, it has higher educational attainment and income levels than Greensboro or Winston-Salem, has a higher metropolitan GDP, it has the state's most prestigious university, has the best medical care in the state, etc. I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem are more well-rounded cities, but Durham is definitely more important to the state as a whole.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM

410 posts, read 633,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Illinois it would probably be Peoria?

I would see it as this:

1. Chicago (by a lot)
2. Springfield
3. Peoria
Yep, Peoria's actually pretty important as the headquarters of Caterpillar.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlte View Post
Not true, the largest Metro Area in Ohio is Cleveland (2,077,240). Cincinnati's metro area is only 1,625,406 in Ohio; 2,130,151 if you add the Indiana and Kentucky counties. Columbus is larger in Ohio than Cincinnati, too. (1,836,536). btw, Cleveland and Columbus are the other C's
By that logic Cincinnati is the only major metro without an international airport.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 PM

46 posts, read 76,777 times
I knew my home state would cause a huge debate. I'm inclined to say Columbus because it just isn't as historically important to the state (besides being home of the government). One can make a solid case for any of the 3C's to be the most important city in the state.

1. Cleveland
2. Cincinnati
3. Columbus
-
-
4. Dayton

Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I'm not looking at it in terms of population centers, but in # (and type of) jobs. Arlington... defense central (obviously). Alexandria... lots of defense jobs, but more importantly it's also trade association central. Fairfax is debatable at #3. However, not only do these DC burbs contain a metric ton of jobs, but also a significant portion of the state's wealth. I don't see Richmond as anywhere near these in terms of both jobs and wealth.
I see what you are saying but most associate NoVA to DC. Arlington, is very important but I would never say most important to Virginia (Plus, it's not even a city). Also, Fairfax is nowhere on the list. Most can't distinguish Fairfax City from the massive county. If we were talking most important counties or economy, NoVA for sure, but not cities (certainly not on an individual basis).

1. Richmond
2. Norfolk-VA Beach tie
3. Alexandria

then Newport News, Roanoke, and everyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City