Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol lol lol i live in Indiana too toxic but come on lets be serious Fort Wayne deserves some love.
But as i said Indianapolis is #1 by a LONG shot. But Fort Wayne is important too although nowhere near the level of Indy.
But thats the bliss of being the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest thats also a state capital and plays host to major events and the first Northern City to be on the Super bowl host rotation list.

Fort Wayne is not important. South Bend is not important. The Region is not that important. Take any of those areas away and Indiana would barely notice. Take Indianapolis out of Indiana, and suddenly all those rosy pictures of Indiana are gone. Indianapolis is the only relevant thing in Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Indiana would probably be Fort Wayne or Evansville.
In all seriousness, the Fort may or may not be in the top 3. Evansville is not even in the top 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM

469 posts, read 969,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I see what you are saying but most associate NoVA to DC. Arlington, is very important but I would never say most important to Virginia (Plus, it's not even a city). Also, Fairfax is nowhere on the list. Most can't distinguish Fairfax City from the massive county. If we were talking most important counties or economy, NoVA for sure, but not cities (certainly not on an individual basis).

1. Richmond
2. Norfolk-VA Beach tie
3. Alexandria

then Newport News, Roanoke, and everyone else
Agreed.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Ohio
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus
Toledo
Dayton
Akron
Youngstown
Canton
Springfeild
I know this is top 3 thread, but some of your cities further down the list I kind of disagree with. I would swap Canton & Youngstown, 3 or 4 decades ago, Y-town probably would have been in the conversation with Toledo & Dayton for #4 to give you an idea of how far they have fallen. I would also say that there are other cities that you could argue have more prominence than Springfield like Lorain, Mentor, Hamilton, Lima or Mansfield to name a few.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM

48 posts, read 63,390 times
For Pennsylvania... 1. Philly, 2. Pittsburgh 3. umm.. Allentown? Erie? Not sure.

Full List:

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. Harrisburg
4. Allentown
5. Erie
6. Reading?
7. Scranton
8. Bethlehem
9. State College
10. Altoona or Wilkes-Barre

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Colorado:

1. Denver, largest population center, state capital, 10th busiest airport in the world.
2. Colorado Springs, second in population, major military installations, US Olympic HQ.
3. Boulder/Boulder County, mid-sized urban area close to Denver, major research institution (CU) and high tech HQ. Leads state in number of patents issued.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1. Houston/Dallas - tie
2. Austin
3. San Antonio
I like how you put Houston and Dallas both at #1 but I would go a step further and rank the cities this way:

1. Houston/Dallas
2. Austin/San Antonio
3. Fort Worth

There really is no clear reason why Houston should outrank Dallas and there is no clear reason why Austin should outrank San Antonio.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
my opinion for North Carolina:

1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Durham
---
4. Greensboro
5. Winston-Salem

Greensboro gives Durham a run for its money, but I gave Durham the edge because of RTP and Duke.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I like how you put Houston and Dallas both at #1 but I would go a step further and rank the cities this way:

1. Houston/Dallas
2. Austin/San Antonio
3. Fort Worth

There really is no clear reason why Houston should outrank Dallas and there is no clear reason why Austin should outrank San Antonio.
well for one, Houston has about a million more people than Dallas

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
For NC if it being based off of Metro

1. Metrolina (Charlotte)
2. Triangle (RDU)
3. Triad (GSO)
4. Sandhills (Including Fayetteville, Fort Bragg, and Pinehurst)
5. Unifour (Hickory)/ Wilmington

For cities
1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Durham
4. Greensboro
5. Fayetteville

For Georgia
Metros

1. Atlanta
2. Savannah
3. Augusta
4. Columbus
5. Athens

Cities (I want to be a little controversial here)
1. Atlanta
2. Savannah
3. Sandy Springs
4. Augusta
5. Columbus
Never heard of "Sandy Springs", the other 4 GA cities are well known.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
LA, San Fran, San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City