Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,372,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Florida:
1. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
2. Tampa - McDill Air Force Base, major Gulf port, stronger economy than Orlando and larger population
3. Orlando or Tallahassee depending on how you look at it. Orlando has more people, more diverse economy and a stronger one. Tallahassee however makes the decisions that affects those stronger economies of Orlando/Tampa/Miami and it has FSU and Florida A&M in it.
I agree with this. I don't see Orlando as more important than Tampa when it comes to jobs, at least. Orlando's economy is primarily based on Tourism and low-wage service-type positions. Tampa's is at least a slight bit more recession-proof with MacDill (and subsequent SOCOM, CENTCOM, DIA jobs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,255,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I totally disagree. I'd put it as:

Arlington
Alexandria
Fairfax (city)
Reston
Norfolk
Richmond
All other VA cities
Nah buddy! Virginia is different in that the population centers do not accurately reflect the most IMPORTANT cities. Richmond by and large is the most important. Historically, culturally, and politically. Norfolk/VA Beach are two cities that essentially need each other as with Arlington and Alexandria. Put it this way, if you Arlington or Virginia Beach off the map, VA would be the same (albeit much poorer) state. If you wipe Richmond off the map, Virginia would arguably be a giant suburb.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,993,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlte View Post
Not true, the largest Metro Area in Ohio is Cleveland (2,077,240). Cincinnati's metro area is only 1,625,406 in Ohio; 2,130,151 if you add the Indiana and Kentucky counties. Columbus is larger in Ohio than Cincinnati, too. (1,836,536). btw, Cleveland and Columbus are the other C's
Nice try, dite -- but please try again. Cincinnati's MSA is the largest in the state of Ohio. If it makes you feel better, please do remind us that 400,000 of that MSA reside directly across the Ohio River in Kentucky--but they are still part of Cincinnati's MSA.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Nice try, dite -- but please try again. Cincinnati's MSA is the largest in the state of Ohio. If it makes you feel better, please do remind us that 400,000 of that MSA reside directly across the Ohio River in Kentucky--but they are still part of Cincinnati's MSA.
Cleveland has the highest metro GDP and Columbus the lowest unemployment rate of the three:
List of metropolitan areas in the United States by GMP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Columbus also continues to grow, while the other two continue to decline in population (for the cities proper).

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,679,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Buffalo would be third.

No way Rochester is more important than Albany. Seriously?

Albany's size has nothing to do with it (although the metros are comparable at a million+). Its the political center for the state and the worlds most important city. The connection between Albany and NYC is undeniable as a lot of stuff that happens in NYC has to go through Albany.

Most would argue the most important corridor in NYS in from Albany to NYC.
I'd put Albany dead last due to the government being there. The government hurts the state. Not knocking Albany as a city since there are cool things there and great people, but simply for the government being there it hurts things. The sate would be better off in an anarchist mad max scenario than having that government. NYC would get things done no matter what.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,372,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Nah buddy! Virginia is different in that the population centers do not accurately reflect the most IMPORTANT cities. Richmond by and large is the most important. Historically, culturally, and politically. Norfolk/VA Beach are two cities that essentially need each other as with Arlington and Alexandria. Put it this way, if you Arlington or Virginia Beach off the map, VA would be the same (albeit much poorer) state. If you wipe Richmond off the map, Virginia would arguably be a giant suburb.
I'm not looking at it in terms of population centers, but in # (and type of) jobs. Arlington... defense central (obviously). Alexandria... lots of defense jobs, but more importantly it's also trade association central. Fairfax is debatable at #3. However, not only do these DC burbs contain a metric ton of jobs, but also a significant portion of the state's wealth. I don't see Richmond as anywhere near these in terms of both jobs and wealth.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I totally disagree. I'd put it as:

Arlington
Alexandria
Fairfax (city)
Reston
Norfolk
Richmond
All other VA cities
I'd probably revise the list that includes counties to Fairfax County, Arlington County, and then Richmond.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,951,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Greensboro-nc and Winston-Salem are BOTH more important...the argument for third us between these two cities.
It's the same metro anyway. So wouldn't the Triad be a solid third anyway?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
It's the same metro anyway. So wouldn't the Triad be a solid third anyway?
Well in this particular thread the o.p. asked for Individual cities however if he said CSA then it would be the Triad.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 AM

367 posts, read 577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Just curious....in what way?
I guess in my experience it seems to be a more popular tourist destination. I don't think Knxoville has near the tourisim unless you count Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I may be wrong though. Economically, I have no idea which one is more important to the state, but I do know that Chattanooga has the Volkswagon plant and has been doing really well relocating factories and distribution facilities there lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City