Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

According to forbes, these are the cities with the most construction currently underway:

1) New York City
2) Dallas
3) Houston
4) Washington DC
5) Chicago
6) Boston
7) Los Angeles
8) Phoenix
9) Seattle
10) Atlanta

My thoughts:

-Given that the metric used is dollars invested in current construction (note to all the, "Well my city is GOING to build this!" crowd... these are buildings that are actually being built now... not proposed), I'm not in the least bit surprised NYC is number 1. Still, I'm glad to see it.

-Also, good for Texas with 2 of the top 3.

-DC does have a lot going on.

-Chicago isn't "dead" (or dying) like it seems so many people on this forum want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
This is pretty much the exact list I'd expect to see. With the exception of Phoenix, the other nine all have a lot going for themselves economically, and don't particularly represent the "land is cheap, so let's build here," phenomenom that drove the last construction boom. In other words, these places are not overbuilt with a languishing surplus of buildings. I know that the projects in Boston represent substantial and promising expansions of commercial activity. It wouldn't at all surprise me if that's what's going on in the other cities, too, if for no other reason than the difficulties in financing something built on spec under today's lending climate.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM

171 posts, read 325,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
This is pretty much the exact list I'd expect to see. With the exception of Phoenix, the other nine all have a lot going for themselves economically, and don't particularly represent the "land is cheap, so let's build here," phenomenom that drove the last construction boom. In other words, these places are not overbuilt with a languishing surplus of buildings. I know that the projects in Boston represent substantial and promising expansions of commercial activity. It wouldn't at all surprise me if that's what's going on in the other cities, too, if for no other reason than the difficulties in financing something built on spec under today's lending climate.
Well, Henry.

Have you bothered to research exactly what and where these construction projects in Phoenix have been happening or are you just assuming it is in the far-flung suburbs because it is "cheap land"?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Well, Henry.

Have you bothered to research exactly what and where these construction projects in Phoenix have been happening or are you just assuming it is in the far-flung suburbs because it is "cheap land"?
I don't think Henry's post was meant to be an insult to Phoenix.

Without looking at the list, I would have guessed that Miami, Philadelphia or San Francisco would have been ahead of Phoenix. And I have nothing against Phoenix. "Guessing" and "Expecting" are just that... notions not based on research. The list says Phoenix is in the top 10 and has the numbers to back it up. Good for Phoenix.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
Scottsdale, don't jump to conclusions, I wasn't criticizing Phoenix, just saying that I don't know what's going on there. It's not the only cheap land city on the list, but it is the only one that was hit hard by the construction collapse. Conspicuously absent, for example, are Las Vegas and Charlotte. I take it as a good sign that Phoenix is on the list, just didn't expect to see it. The other cities makes sense to me because they all have highly diversified economies or specialties in sectors not hit by the recession (health care, energy, education, for example).

What are your theories about Phoenix? What's going on there that might be different from some other cities that didn't make the list?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Scottsdale, don't jump to conclusions, I wasn't criticizing Phoenix, just saying that I don't know what's going on there. It's not the only cheap land city on the list, but it is the only one that was hit hard by the construction collapse. Conspicuously absent, for example, are Las Vegas and Charlotte. I take it as a good sign that Phoenix is on the list, just didn't expect to see it. The other cities makes sense to me because they all have highly diversified economies or specialties in sectors not hit by the recession (health care, energy, education, for example).

What are your theories about Phoenix? What's going on there that might be different from some other cities that didn't make the list?

Las Vegas and Charlotte dead for now.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I can't wait til Baltimore makes it to that list.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Las Vegas and Charlotte dead for now.
Not at all.

According to McGraw Hill(bible of the industry btw), the source whose data Forbes'(unsurprisingly) mutilated to make this ranking says that following about LV and Charlotte.

2011 Construction Starts:
Las Vegas $3.819 Billion
Charlotte $2.454 Billion

Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Makes a lot of sense because it includes single family homes for which Dallas and Houston build a lot of. It would be nice to see an urban ranking of mult-family buildings and office towers with attached housing (row houses) only to see the comparisons in urban development. The vast differences in development style across the country make a list like this useless for urban enthusiasts because it includes low density suburban style single family homes which throws the list off for an urban enthusiast. I know many areas in the nation promote and prefer single family homes so it's an interesting list anyway.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM

171 posts, read 325,572 times
Quote:

Phoenix was starting to hit its stride and there were many projects proposed for downtown and midtown Phoenix and Tempe than never came to fruition perhaps because of the recession. Some of those are starting to slowly come back (even in different incarnations), but there has definitely been more of a focus on infill, commercial/government/hotel/residential construction, as well as a stronger ASU presence in downtown/midtown Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City