Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 26,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Houston is equally as bad in the opposite way. You won't be excited about 100 degrees, and wading through feet of water.
Hmm. Honestly, hadn't thought about it that way - interesting point. I still think I'd prefer heat over equal-and-opposite cold, but very interesting.

Are there parts of Houston where flooding is less likely, due to higher elevations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Houston sounds like a good fit. She will get great experience as a cancer scientist, especially at M. D. Anderson which is tops in the country. Depending on your housing budget, there are some very good public schools within Houston (but the prices on the housing in those areas may surprise you with how high it is)... West University Place is a very nice area. Or you could look in Sugar Land which is the nicest outer suburb that still has reasonable access to the Texas Medical Center in my opinion. It has some areas with older historic homes if you're not into the cookie-cutter thing.
What part of Sugar Land? I think my wife prefers to live closer in to the Med Center, but housing is much more expensive there (but public schools are good). It's a balancing act!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryves View Post
Hmm. Honestly, hadn't thought about it that way - interesting point. I still think I'd prefer heat over equal-and-opposite cold, but very interesting.

Are there parts of Houston where flooding is less likely, due to higher elevations?
If you have never been in excessive heat and humidity that lasts for months on end, I suggest you take it into consideration. Picture your most oppressive summer day in NYC. Now, think about that persisting for 5+ months (day and night) and you've got Houston. In my view, it is not a trade off for mild winters. In typical years, the hot weather tends to break around mid-October. Unfortunately, shortly after that DST also ends, so while the weather improves, you have less daylight to enjoy it as it's dark when you get home from work.

In terms of flooding, we lived outside the flood plain where we were not required by our lender to carry flood insurance. Nevertheless, we filed two flood damage claims - one for flooding resulting from a tropical storm in 2001 and another for flooding resulting from a hurricane in 2008. Wherever you live, it will be a good idea to carry a flood policy because if a storm "trains" in your area, it can be subject to flooding risk (Training (meteorology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I am not saying this to discourage you from Houston. It has many great features and I would pick it over Omaha in heartbeat. I prefer a big city with lots of options for entertainment. I am just giving you my experience with some of the downsides. Lots of "Yankees" envision warm weather as a paradise until they actually spend their first summer in it. If weather is really a factor in your decision, here is a comparisons of temps and precip in the two cities: Climate Comparison for Houston, TX and Omaha, NE

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-26-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:

Use this tool to see the Harris County Flood Plain. Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
What part of Sugar Land? I think my wife prefers to live closer in to the Med Center, but housing is much more expensive there (but public schools are good). It's a balancing act!
West University Place and Bellaire are very nice areas near the Med Center with good schools from what I know. But yes, very high prices to go along with that. Going further out, there is a lot of "bad" before you get to the good again, which is Sugar Land. Sugar Land isn't very large, and there aren't any bad parts of it. Both West University Place and Sugar Land have been on those "best cities" lists.

As far as the weather, I lived in Austin before this, where temperatures are even hotter in the summer, so I'm not too bothered by it. There are periodic severe rainstorms, especially in the tropical season, and parts of town can flood (mostly in the streets in areas near bayous/creeks.) Including around the Medical Center. But I've been in the Houston area for 10+ years in three different homes and never flooded... most of that is from not living in a flood zone, and a little good fortune.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Lots of "Yankees" envision warm weather as a paradise until they actually spend their first summer in it.
Oh my. I think I've lived in NYC long enough to be seen as a Yankee. Dammit. I was born and raised in KY, so am no Yankee, just a transplanted Southerner (who really wants to go back to my native habitat, i.e. back south). (Is that convincing??? )

Also, on the weather, I've spent long summers down in south Florida, so while not Houston, do understand some of what I'm getting into climate-wise.

I honestly think that the economic opportunities are so much farther ahead of Omaha (and frankly, New York, at this point, with its COL), that it outweighs the climate concerns - not to downplay it, though.

Plus, while NYC has tremendous culture and chances to soak it in, my experience is that there are two types in NYC - (1) those with enough time, but not enough money to enjoy all that NYC has to offer and (2) those with enough money, but not enough time. I know that Houston has a ton to offer on the culture front (Museum District, Theatre District, etc.), and my hope is that I'll have both the money and more time to enjoy (Omaha has some of those things, but not on the same level).

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks Westhou - very helpful.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
My gf is from Cincinnati. We live in suburban Houston. She tells me over and over the Houston humidity is MUCH easier to tolerate than a midwest winter. It still gets pretty dang hot, though.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Oh my. I think I've lived in NYC long enough to be seen as a Yankee. Dammit. I was born and raised in KY, so am no Yankee, just a transplanted Southerner (who really wants to go back to my native habitat, i.e. back south). (Is that convincing??? )

Also, on the weather, I've spent long summers down in south Florida, so while not Houston, do understand some of what I'm getting into climate-wise.

I honestly think that the economic opportunities are so much farther ahead of Omaha (and frankly, New York, at this point, with its COL), that it outweighs the climate concerns - not to downplay it, though.

Plus, while NYC has tremendous culture and chances to soak it in, my experience is that there are two types in NYC - (1) those with enough time, but not enough money to enjoy all that NYC has to offer and (2) those with enough money, but not enough time. I know that Houston has a ton to offer on the culture front (Museum District, Theatre District, etc.), and my hope is that I'll have both the money and more time to enjoy (Omaha has some of those things, but not on the same level).
It seems you've got your mind wrapped around the weather, so I think you will be very happy in Hsotuon. I certainly enjoyed my years there.

As for not being a "yankee," don't be so sure. Some Houstonians I know consider folks from Dallas to be from "way up north."

Enjoy!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM

130 posts, read 290,311 times
i've lived in new york and omaha before and believe me when i say this. Omaha winter's are hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City