Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to move to a rust belt city, have fun with the condos.
Nothing against Florida...but you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to move to Florida. See how "great" that contribution to this thread was (read: it wasn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
I personally think rust belt revivals are good (or any city revival), but this went a little over the top for me. Can Whole Foods really be that big of a deal to revitalize a neighborhood?

Ground Broken for New Whole Foods in Detroit - YouTube

Whole Foods breaks ground in Midtown - YouTube

Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I personally think rust belt revivals are good (or any city revival), but this went a little over the top for me. Can Whole Foods really be that big of a deal to revitalize a neighborhood?

Ground Broken for New Whole Foods in Detroit - YouTube

Whole Foods breaks ground in Midtown - YouTube
I think it's more of a sign that things are improving in that area. To build a grocery store in that area of town is a big thing...and a high-end grocery store is a bigger deal. Whether it'll ultimately be successful remains to be seen, but this development can be seen as a sign of positive change.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,811 times
To the people attacking the Sunbelt:

What gives? This thread isn't about which region is better. There are tons of those in C-D that needlessly go on page after page accomplishing nothing but a good argument/laugh. I think we can all agree that while the Rust Belt was booming years ago, the South/Sunbelt was doing terribly. Now the roles have reversed. And in the future, another American region will be at the bottom; that's just how it goes. So instead of bashing the South or talking about what a "great contribution" someone made and being VERY subjective, let's try discussing the topic at hand. Hmm?

As for the topic, I hope that Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cleveland can improve in great strides. Unfortunately for Cleveland, they no longer have Lebron . But hopefully they improve similar to the way New Orleans did after Katrina.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think it's more of a sign that things are improving in that area. To build a grocery store in that area of town is a big thing...and a high-end grocery store is a bigger deal. Whether it'll ultimately be successful remains to be seen, but this development can be seen as a sign of positive change.
There's also this whole "Whole Food Effect" that plays into this, if you believe the theory, which essentially says that the company has a knack for finding areas of cities with low/moderate property values that start gentrifying or turning around once Whole Foods comes in. Either it's because Whole Foods makes the neighborhood better (eh, not sure about that entirely), or that they seem to know where the "next best" place is going to be.

That being the case (or theory), you'd think that this WAS a big deal for Detroit.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
To the people attacking the Sunbelt:

What gives? This thread isn't about which region is better. There are tons of those in C-D that needlessly go on page after page accomplishing nothing but a good argument/laugh. I think we can all agree that while the Rust Belt was booming years ago, the South/Sunbelt was doing terribly. Now the roles have reversed. And in the future, another American region will be at the bottom; that's just how it goes. So instead of bashing the South or talking about what a "great contribution" someone made and being VERY subjective, let's try discussing the topic at hand. Hmm?

As for the topic, I hope that Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cleveland can improve in great strides. Unfortunately for Cleveland, they no longer have Lebron . But hopefully they improve similar to the way New Orleans did after Katrina.
Because for every one person who "bashes" the Sunbelt from the Midwest, there are 10 people who bash the Midwest from the Sunbelt. Humility would be a wonderful tool here, yet few people on this forum seem to display it.

I can see you're new though (presumably), so I can see why you don't get that yet.

P.S. Cleveland has T. Rich now (Browns RB), who looks like the next Adrian Peterson....so they'll be okay I think!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There's also this whole "Whole Food Effect" that plays into this, if you believe the theory, which essentially says that the company has a knack for finding areas of cities with low/moderate property values that start gentrifying or turning around once Whole Foods comes in. Either it's because Whole Foods makes the neighborhood better (eh, not sure about that entirely), or that they seem to know where the "next best" place is going to be.

That being the case (or theory), you'd think that this WAS a big deal for Detroit.
The Home Depot and Whole Foods were the first major retailers to locate in the East Liberty section of Pittsburgh(East End). The neighborhood was once the third largest shopping district in the state of PA behind downtown Pittsburgh and Center City Philadelphia. After a failed urban renewal plan from the 60's added three 20 story public housing highrise and a one way highway around the shoppng district, it became one of Pittsburgh worse neighborhoods.

Since Home Depot and Wholefoods opened, Trader Joes, Office Max, Starbucks, Target, TREK Bikes, Tuesday Morning, and Petsmart have opened. There are many restaurants in the area that vary from french to ethiopian. Google has an office in the neighborhood's Bakery Square development with phase 2 construction starting in 2013-2014.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Awesome revival video made on Cleveland this week. Overblown, this one not so much:

This is Our Moment - YouTube

TON of rust belt articles from the Atlantic Cities recently -- check it out

The Midwest's Rebuild Era, in Pictures - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

Faces of the Rust Belt - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

The Rust Belt Has Arrived

Downtown Toledo's Minor League Mojo - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Rust Belt and Downtown Cleveland's revival featured on on NPR this morning...given it a listen:

Rust Belt Reboot Has Downtown Cleveland Rocking : NPR

Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Funny how Americans still have this divisive provincial competitiveness about them. Most of us still haven't figured out that economically in this truly global economy it's about America vs. the rest of the World not the Midwest vs. the South, East Coast vs. West Coast, Cleveland vs. Detroit etc.

The European Union understands this, Japan understands this, China certainly understands this. While those places are trying to figure out ways to cohesively work together as a nation so they can be more competive than the U.S. we are still trying to figure out how Houston can take some of Dallas shine or how Jacksonville can outdo Baltimore or Pittsburgh win some business from Seattle, etc. Meanwhile, Net job creation for the entire country... 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City