Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,585,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
...We definitely still do let companies wreak havoc, though it's usually not the obvious stuff you can see in a photo.
We still let governments wreak havoc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,431,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It happens in every city, there was one of those dumb videos of a white girl "discovering" a chopped cheese in Harlem. It's a demographic thing, not geographic.
I say, it's a combination of both. People in all regions are ignorant about other regions one or another. Just like a lot of people on the Coasts automatically assumes that the Midwest (outside of Chicago) is nothing but distressed and abandoned areas, rust and smokestacks. Just like people in the Midwest assume that everybody on the Coasts has white collar jobs, snobby, arrogant and/or rude. Also, people don't take to see what other regions have to offer because in their biased minds they feel that they could find everything in their cities, or feel that if the city was cooler there would be more hype about it. Some people didn't know that Cleveland was a foodie friendly place.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm actually really looking forward to starting a family in Cleveland. There is a ton of good "scenery" here.

My mom was 10 when the Cuyahoga River caught on fire. It's time to put this to bed.

Though BIG AGREE on the Mike Polk Jr and his dreadfully unfunny and harmful cheapshot videos from a decade ago that never seem to go away.
I agree it's time to move on from the Cuyahoga River fire. A lot of people don't even mention it too much these days.

Also, agree with you on Mike Polk, Jr. Those videos did a lot more harm than good to Cleveland and its reputation. Thanks to him that video is constantly played in heavy rotation on social media. When folks want to disparage Cleveland that is their #1 go-to video. Also, folks automatically assume that's how Cleveland is and folks all over the country take those videos as accurate representations of Cleveland. But, you gotta thank CBS, Tony Rizzo and TNT for keeping him and those relevant and now he has a job at WKYC Channel 3. Wow! Time to cancel that dude.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:59 PM

5,270 posts, read 6,019,040 times
FWIW the overwhelming majority of us have moved past those cliche Cleveland videos, and the reference to the river fire. The poster who referenced it is notorious for referencing cartoonish and very cliche stereotypes as their opinion on many different cities.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
FWIW the overwhelming majority of us have moved past those cliche Cleveland videos, and the reference to the river fire. The poster who referenced it is notorious for referencing cartoonish and very cliche stereotypes as their opinion on many different cities.
True but every now and then some idiot on Twitter has to bring up those videos when they want to take their shots at Cleveland. Either that or the Joakim Noah video where he trashed Cleveland.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:50 PM

8,819 posts, read 6,784,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
We still let governments wreak havoc.
Governments generally are working for the public. Corruption and self-interest are the exception, not the norm as they are with big polluters.

Therefore the big polluters need to be regulated tightly.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,209,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I say, it's a combination of both. People in all regions are ignorant about other regions one or another. Just like a lot of people on the Coasts automatically assumes that the Midwest (outside of Chicago) is nothing but distressed and abandoned areas, rust and smokestacks. Just like people in the Midwest assume that everybody on the Coasts has white collar jobs, snobby, arrogant and/or rude. Also, people don't take to see what other regions have to offer because in their biased minds they feel that they could find everything in their cities, or feel that if the city was cooler there would be more hype about it. Some people didn't know that Cleveland was a foodie friendly place.
How do you come to the conclusion that people on coasts think that and vice versa?

People outside of city data don't care about city hype or any of that stuff anyway so I don't particularly agree there. Cleveland is a big city, there's good restaurants in every city and this "foodie" trend is common in all of them in one way or another.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How do you come to the conclusion that people on coasts think that and vice versa?

People outside of city data don't care about city hype or any of that stuff anyway so I don't particularly agree there. Cleveland is a big city, there's good restaurants in every city and this "foodie" trend is common in all of them in one way or another.
I just didn't single out people on the Coasts, I singled people in all regions. I even acknowledged that people in the Midwest have stereotypes and misconceptions about the Coasts and the South just like people in the Coasts and the South have stereotypes and misconceptions about the Rust Belt.

Yes, most people outside of City Data don't care for national media hype about a city. But, there are a certain group of people out there that do judge cities based on media hype. It could be Top 10 Best or Worst rankings, TV/movies, bias, politics or hearsay. And, there are great restaurants in every city that I think might go unnoticed by the masses. I found a couple of restaurants (non-deep dish) in my many travels to Chicago that doesn't get the credit that they deserve. Same with some restaurants in Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City