Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

While some Rustbelt metros are growing modestly, others are essentially treading water while some of the major Rustbelt metros continue to lose population. According to estimates, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Cleveland continue to lose population. The Detroit metro is estimated to be down by almost 44,000 since 2010 while Pittsburgh is down almost 6,000 and Cleveland is down over 12,000. These are not healthy numbers and they don't match some of the assertions being made here on C-D regularly.
If there isn't even modest growth in large metros it's telling me 2 things: 1.) the population is aging & 2.) younger adults are leaving.
Now, it's still possible to have re-birth and investment in these cities' cores but it doesn't mean that these metros/cities are growing in population. In the end, I do think that the core cities have a brighter future than much of their suburbs.

source: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...rrentPageSize=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Like some have said, it depends on the area. For instance, the metro I live in gained 12,000 people between the 2000-2010 census. It is actually at its highest metro population ever for the 3 county metro. Downtown living units are at 99% occupancy, with more on the way. There has been quite of construction in conjunction with our colleges, hospitals and in Downtown. Our urban school district, while struggling with many issues that such school districts around this country deal, has a great program that allows children that graduate(as long as they go to one of the HS's for at least 3 years) can go to college for free: Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

There are other things and you still have issues and negativity to deal with, but why not be encouraged by some of the things going on?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Detroit metro is estimated to be down by almost 44,000 since 2010 while Pittsburgh is down almost 6,000 and Cleveland is down over 12,000. These are not healthy numbers and they don't match some of the assertions being made here on C-D regularly.
If there isn't even modest growth in large metros it's telling me 2 things: 1.) the population is aging & 2.) younger adults are leaving.
I can't speak for Detroit or Cleveland, but the population loss in Pittsburgh is driven by children (under 18) and the elderly (over 65). The working-age population (18 to 65) is flat.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I can't speak for Detroit or Cleveland, but the population loss in Pittsburgh is driven by children (under 18) and the elderly (over 65). The working-age population (18 to 65) is flat.
18-65 is a wide range of ages. What are the components of that "flat" population? If under 18 is shrinking, it would suggest to me that more families with kids are leaving than those who are staying put and having kids. Eventually a shrinking "under 18" population is going to cause a decline in the working age populace unless the city can find a way to attract college grads, etc. On a side note, I also suppose that a good number of the elderly are following their children and grandchildren to their next destination?

At the end of the day, it's not a healthy mix for growth in the future. Rustbelt cities must find ways to attract and retain the younger generations.

I really like Pittsburgh. I have been several time and I'd really to see it succeed! I feel the same way about Cleveland. I really can't speak for Detroit because I have really only been to Oakland County in its burbs.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
What is happening in Cleveland is NOT being overblown at all ... The facts tell the story. This city is staging its latest renaissance, and it's the biggest ever witnessed in this important city. People are NOT overstating the tremendous momentum, positive energy and the drastically changing appearance of Cleveland ... In five more years, it will be even more startling to witness even more success for this city and region.

Cleveland has shed a sizable portion of its city proper population, but there are definitive signs of this exodus beginning to diminish as we can now proudly boast of having one of the best job markets in the country. Our enviable unemployment level is much lower than in popular cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Chicago! Its absolutely factual.

Cleveland's success is a story for the ages ...

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-return-comeback-city-11048888.html?cat=7

Wide Range of Construction Projects Being Built in Cleveland

Greater Cleveland Partnership 2011 Annual Meeting Video - YouTube

Downtown Cleveland... Is It For You? - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The Sun Belt may be the most overrated region in the country, and has been for decades. Soulless sprawl, crappy infrastructure and a culture that, whether or not people admit it, is still decades behind other areas... my visits there have been underwhelming for all the hype, to say the least.
Here, here!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM

120 posts, read 208,898 times
No one outside of Cleveland says Cleveland is back (or was ever relevant in the first place).

Minneapolis seems to be becoming more popular than I remember it, as is Denver.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I believe the very modest gains reflect the recent modest gains in US manufacturing...Americans really want the regions to build back to at least some semblance of their former glory to make the country proud.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
No one outside of Cleveland says Cleveland is back (or was ever relevant in the first place).

Minneapolis seems to be becoming more popular than I remember it, as is Denver.
(1) Cleveland boosters are some of the best cheerleaders in the business;

(2) Neither Minneapolis nor Denver were ever considered "rust belt cities."

Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
In my opinion it's not about Rustbelt vs. Sunbelt, rather cities that have figured out how to attract a diversified infrastructure and a skilled, educated workforce. Cities lacking in higher wage jobs and an educated population aren't going to be seeing quality, sustained growth.

The Most and Least Educated Cities | Men's Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City