Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times

Advertisements

What an interesting thread. Good points by many.

The Seattle vs. Denver comparison is a good one because the metro areas have a similar population, but as someone mentioned, Seattle/Tacoma/Everett is bigger.

Most have covered the differences, but I shall compare the similarities. Both are quite proud and dependent on their nearby mountains. Both are cities that became regional centers. Both are cities that grew at about the same time. Both are cities that love the environment, and tend to lean liberal, while their states overall are more moderate/conservative. Both have people who have moved there because they wanted out of California.

Perhaps this is one reason why the Bronco-Seahawk rivalry was quite intense back in the days when Seattle was in the AFC West. (I think Denver got the best of that one).

Anyway, enjoyed this thread. Most have kept it clean and polite, and that is where I will leave this. Both cities represent both those attributes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Someone commented on the sprawl-- I lived in Nebraska and went to Denver a lot before moving here to Seattle 2 years ago. And I would say Denver is far more sprawly than Seattle. The Seattle metro is cramped in on the west by the Puget Sound and on the right by the Cascade Mountains, so it has spread north and south, but is really a lot less sprawly than Denver is (keep in mind there are about 1 million more people in Seattle than Denver, so it's a bigger metro to begin with).
I don't know which has more sprawl, but unless you take a ferry, Denver seems easier to get out of. I live about four miles south of downtown, by DU, and I can drive 30 minutes west and be alone on a trail in the Front Range. Or, I can head east and be in the middle of farms (or whatever you want to call E. Colorado) in 35 minutes. When I think about sprawl, this a what I care about - does it pen me in to the city. I never feel trapped in the city, here. Now, where did I put my Denver ferry schedule?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
I live in the Golden Triangle so you can imagine how I feel in terms of getting anywhere in the city within 20 minutes. I will say this, not having a light rail that goes directly to the airport (yet) sucks tremendously. Their are walkable neighborhoods in Denver, but it's certainly a driving city. The same would go for Seattle, you need a car at some point imho.

To PW's response - these two places have more in common than they do apart. We all know the weather is a lot different. I'm talking in terms of sheer mentality. I think people are healthier, greener and more liberal in these two places vs majority of the cities in similar size or larger.

As I mentioned earlier, to raise a family, you can't go wrong in either. Both have a tremendous outdoors scene with a genuinely 'believable' personality amongst the natives (most will get one I'm saying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I don't know which has more sprawl, but unless you take a ferry, Denver seems easier to get out of. I live about four miles south of downtown, by DU, and I can drive 30 minutes west and be alone on a trail in the Front Range. Or, I can head east and be in the middle of farms (or whatever you want to call E. Colorado) in 35 minutes. When I think about sprawl, this a what I care about - does it pen me in to the city. I never feel trapped in the city, here. Now, where did I put my Denver ferry schedule?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM

96 posts, read 234,732 times
Have you thought about Portland or Eugene, Oregon? Honestly, if you can't find steady work then Seattle is REALLY expensive. Portland can also be expensive but they are more receptive to quirky than Seattle. And in Seattle, if you aren't from Seattle, it is really hard to find a group to fit in with. Portland is a unique place and full of extroverts and so is Eugene. There are volcanoes all through the Cascades so no matter where you would land from Northern Cali on up to the Canadian border, there are plenty to climb. Also, snow is rare in Seattle, we've had two freak winters and the roads aren't made to handle driving during snow so the city shuts down. It's not fun. If you want to be in the snow, chains are required and most of the time the mountain passes are closed so even with an SUV you're stuck going to a ski resort. I'm a free spirit and am all for taking risks but frankly, you scare me a little, lol! I think you should think this through a little more, it's not just you involved, it's your wife as well. Seattle isn't a fun place to be homeless.

Oh and regarding depression, just take extra Vitamin D. That's an easy fix. Start taking it prior to your move.

This is a good post. Always good to see other's opinions of where they live.

I keep thinking of things and adding them here. Sorry about that. North Bend, adorable but if you don't want to spend much on rent there you will be living in a hut, basically. I would suggest living outside of King County (where we used to live, Fairwood-Cascade) unless you are making good money. Snohomish (our soon to be residence) County is second highest. Pierce and Kitsap are much less expensive. Puget Sound rarely gets warm enough to take a dip in, seriously, RARELY and the Pacific Ocean rarely hits 50 degrees. People do swim in both, but I wouldn't without a wet suit. Hypothermia is pretty dangerous and happens more quickly than people realize. Last summer was chilly, summer before last we had a heatwave for about a week. 90s and low 100s. Also rare. Air conditioners aren't in most apartments, who needs one? Also, utilities are much less expensive. I still think you should check out Oregon. :-)

Last edited by lotr1967; 03-30-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM

59 posts, read 119,132 times
Scott (AFB)? I 'm from Granite City, IL? "Glad I Got Out" Lived in Golden-Arvada, CO. from 2008-2011. I worked for the major brewer in Golden. I met people out there who lived in both places for periods of time. It's really personal preference when it comes down to it? I recently relocated to Upstate NY and have kicked myself in the A** ever since.

Denver:
1. Brown 9 months a year. If you want grass water 24hrs a day?
2. Almost no HUMIDITY!!!! I miss this the most.
3. 75-85% sun shine, no seasonal depression.
4. Not much culture for a city it's size.
5. Only seen one person wear a tie and that was for an hour top's.
6. "NO" Bar-B-Que- Green chilli, Green chilli, Green chilli, it's great.
7. Very High Registration Fees.
8. Over Priced Housing (Big Time)
9. Snow & Hail all gone in 24 hr period.
10. Good over all feel, lots of transplants.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Denver:
1. Brown 9 months a year. If you want grass water 24hrs a day? Not brown, but dry and arid. Water 24 hours? Nope. 5 minutes every other day works!

2. Almost no HUMIDITY!!!! I miss this the most. True

3. 75-85% sun shine, no seasonal depression. True

4. Not much culture for a city it's size. So utterly wrong! Tired of posting all the things we have on other cities our size! I will leave it at the 2nd largest PAC in the World! You want more? Just look up all the museums we have!

5. Only seen one person wear a tie and that was for an hour top's. WTH? Ever walk downtown?

6. "NO" Bar-B-Que- Green chilli, Green chilli, Green chilli, it's great. Ton's of Great Green Chile! BBQ is only ok here.

7. Very High Registration Fees. Very True!!!!

8. Over Priced Housing (Big Time) Not as bad as the coastal cities.

9. Snow & Hail all gone in 24 hr period. Very true!!!! That is a good thing no?

10. Good over all feel, lots of transplants. True.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM

59 posts, read 119,132 times
That was just a real quick over view of my 3.5 yrs, MilehiDenver. I have to say I miss the "Front Range" Big Time! I relocated to be close to my aging folks & at the same time for a company that offered a good relocation with advanced training & experience in my career. These were the 2 big things I could not get out there and still not sure if it was worth moving to the NE for it.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times
Colorado is beautiful and the Rockies are awesome and obviously there's so many outdoor activities, which is the areas best selling point. The problem is that Denver itself is unfathomably dull. Seattle gives you that same beautiful topography with a far more urban and vibrant city, and the same outdoor activities to boot so you get two for one with Seattle -- I guess I've made my point which one I like better.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM

31 posts, read 55,632 times
I know this is an older forum I'm resurrecting. I am a Colorado native who lives in the Denver-metro area, however I have visited Washington, and have ties to that state as well. I personally very much prefer Colorado and I LOVE LIVING HERE! I never plan to move! I love our seasons and I think we get the best of all 4 of them! I love our crazy weather, our abundant sunshine, and our semi-arid climate! I hate humidity and bugs, and see great beauty in deserts, earth tones, and more arid climates, so Colorado is perfect for me! Denver is an incredible city that I have never found myself bored in, so close to outdoor recreational activities in the Rockies, but the plains can also be pretty awesome too (I think they're underrated!) I would not enjoy living in Seattle and having constant drizzle/gloom for 8-9 months out of the year. Also, the city of Denver itself, as well as many of the northern suburbs, mountain communities, and Boulder are actually very liberal, and our state government is controlled by Democrats. Coloradans tend to be very friendly and welcoming too! Just my opinion, for what it's worth, in defense of my beloved city! I am not trying to insult any other cities, or anyone who prefers Seattle, but I really am happy here!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
great thread ttt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City