Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Santa Monica vs Coney Island?
Santa Monica 36 90.00%
Coney Island 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica. Coney Island can be fun, though. Santa Monica is generally pretty tidy, but it's only as sanitized as you want it to be (and I hope no one actually wants unsanitary for a family outing). Just walk down to Venice. Or talk to the folks fishing off the pier. In truth, it's not my favorite place in L.A. because it is pretty gentrified. Longtime residents know that it was not always like that, even 30 years ago. But it's still pretty cool with lots to do.

SM is a mecca for the homeless too. Spend time there and you start noticing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Exactly, gotta consider the respective areas. Like theme parks and close proximity other tourist destinations like San Diego, Las Vegas and multiple national parks. Not every person wants to spend the entirety of their vacation in one city. Even New York.

And "heavily sanitized"? I know when I ride my bike from Venice, I often find myself enchanted by its wholesome charm and Disney-esque cleanliness. Its just like Vienna.
Venice and Santa Monica are different entities though I guess it's a pretty arbitrary distinction to make since they flow into each other.

I liked Santa Monica from over a decade ago--I like it a good deal less these days. It's not like I want slums or filth, but places like Third Street Promenade seem to offers a more scenic version of what your average suburban mall would have. It just doesn't gel with me at all (I understand that's personal preference, so it's fine if you like this Santa Monica a lot better). And you're right I was exaggerating, because Santa Monica isn't all bougie, and LA does offer a lot. However, I think there are a lot of people who spend vacations in a relatively small area because vacation time is pretty valuable and it's a pain to spend large chunks commuting around.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
What about that Shoreline Crips set in Venice Beach? I've heard there's plenty of gang violence in Venice Beach. That seems as "dangerous" and "adventurous" as Coney Island. I figure SM and Venice are close enough to each other.

Gang War Erupts In Gun Fire- 6 shot @ Venice beach - YouTube

Gang Shooting On Ocean Front Walk@ venice beach Leaves 2 Wounded. - YouTube

2 Dead In Penmar Park Gang Shooting at venice beach - YouTube

Venice Shoreline Crips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Venice, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...pvmvOHbjd3lynw

Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think when people go to Santa Monica for family fun day out, they are not talking about going to Venice Beach (which as you've noted, is not in Santa Monica) and especially not the rougher parts of Venice Beach. What family fun day out to me would probably represent the areas in and around the Third Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier.

Also, I'm not saying crime or violence is a selling point for Coney Island--for a family fun day out, that would be idiotic and/or reckless. When I'm comparing the sanitized attractions of Santa Monica and relatively unsanitized attractions of Coney Island, I am referring more to the historical and creaking bits of Coney Island's amusement park rides and curios and the very vibrant and not-gentrified neighborhoods nearby. I am not talking about where is a better place for your family to get mugged, because I can't see how anyone would really want that unless it was something like getting mugged by unicorns from Rainbow Town--and even in that instance, I'd prefer the unicorns to give me candied carpets rather than mug me.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
I dunno, if you're talking about going to nearby neighborhoods you are talking about Venice. My itinerary would be to rent bikes at Bicycle Ambulance, ride through Venice, go to the Ocean Discovery Center at the pier, stroll up the pier to get a snack, talk to some fishermen, take in the view, ride down and then along Ocean Ave through Palisades Park, spend some time on the beach, ride up to the comic book store for the kids (I think on Colorado), walk the bike down 3rd Street, stroll through the Fairmont Miramar, ride up to Father's Office for burgers, then to Bergamot Station for the gallery shows, rest up at one of several parks, and back to return the bikes. That's a heavy day of family activities.

Otherwise, I'd hit the pier, 3rd Street, then up to the Santa Monica Mountains, Cosmic Bowl at night or outdoor movies at the pier in late summer, or open mike at Downbeat 720 for high school age kids.

I guess my point is for family outings you don't have to just stroll 3rd Street Promenade all day, which would be a private hell for me especially since Midnight Special closed. Now, without kids in tow I'd have a much different itinerary...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM

410 posts, read 633,782 times
I love Coney Island, but for the family Santa Monica might be better. As said before Coney Island is a bit more seedy, I came across a decent amount of homeless people whenever I go there too.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
A better comparison would be Coney Island vs Catalina Island. Although Catalina would still win out.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I dunno, if you're talking about going to nearby neighborhoods you are talking about Venice. My itinerary would be to rent bikes at Bicycle Ambulance, ride through Venice, go to the Ocean Discovery Center at the pier, stroll up the pier to get a snack, talk to some fishermen, take in the view, ride down and then along Ocean Ave through Palisades Park, spend some time on the beach, ride up to the comic book store for the kids (I think on Colorado), walk the bike down 3rd Street, stroll through the Fairmont Miramar, ride up to Father's Office for burgers, then to Bergamot Station for the gallery shows, rest up at one of several parks, and back to return the bikes. That's a heavy day of family activities.

Otherwise, I'd hit the pier, 3rd Street, then up to the Santa Monica Mountains, Cosmic Bowl at night or outdoor movies at the pier in late summer, or open mike at Downbeat 720 for high school age kids.

I guess my point is for family outings you don't have to just stroll 3rd Street Promenade all day, which would be a private hell for me especially since Midnight Special closed. Now, without kids in tow I'd have a much different itinerary...
I agree with you that 3rd Street Promenade all day would be my own private hell (though I think the pier would be nice for the kids). Without kids, I'd definitely choose Santa Monica/Venice unless there was some awesome burlesque and variety acts show going on in Coney Island (which there often is).

I do think in terms of a family vacation/day trip, that Coney Island is my preference. Venice/Santa Monica is still pleasant though. I can't wait until the subway to the sea actually happens. I hate looking around for parking in Venice/Santa Monica. Los Angeles has so much going for it, I just want it to finally really make use of it all. Here's to LA and the 30/10 plan, and the hope that it's just a first step towards much more.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,214 times
Santa Monica! Coney Island is a dump. If you're in your teens or twenties, ok. But it's not a place for children. Also, it's really depressing, with those low-income highrises looming in the distance...

Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Santa Monica. Coney Island can be fun, though. Santa Monica is generally pretty tidy, but it's only as sanitized as you want it to be (and I hope no one actually wants unsanitary for a family outing). Just walk down to Venice. Or talk to the folks fishing off the pier. In truth, it's not my favorite place in L.A. because it is pretty gentrified. Longtime residents know that it was not always like that, even 30 years ago. But it's still pretty cool with lots to do.

SM is a mecca for the homeless too. Spend time there and you start noticing it.
The homeless want ocean views too! Plus it's close to Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City