Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Santa Monica vs Coney Island?
Santa Monica 36 90.00%
Coney Island 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Both include amusement parks with rides, a chance to frolic on the beach in an urban environment, old style arcades/sideshows, carnival type food...as places they are fairly different, but purely for a casual weekend out to have fun, which do you prefer?

I had the pleasure of visiting both. While I prefer Santa Monica the place, Coney Island probably has more interesting things to do, if you're into that old school carnival/amusement park scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Coney Island is a little seedy Personally prefer Santa Monica

Really will depend upon what one is looking for. Jersey in most ways has better boardwalk experiences IMHO and in the summer will feel more beachy. Santa Monica is half LAish and half Beachy but on this would definately choose Santa Monica

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
I've been to both and it was a tough decision, but currently I'd venture to Santa Monica. Not only is it a higher rent district and more scenic, it has better shops, restaurants, and people. Plus, you have Venice Beach next door if you want that more gritty boardwalk feel that Coney Island has. What Coney Island has going is subway access, an aquarium, more theme park rides, and a minor league baseball team if the Mets/Yankees are sold out. But with lots of projects nearby and people from the subways constantly headed that way, you won't find as nice as a clientele at Coney Island than you will at Santa Monica.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Coney Island is worth a visit to ride on the Cyclone, check out the old freak show, go to the aquarium, eat a Nathan's hotdog, maybe walk along the beach, and maybe stroll down to Brighton Beach for some Russian food(and observe well-dressed Russian mafiosi). It's interesting because it's a sort of a reminder of old New York and the crowds that were there last time I went were a diverse mix of working class ethnic Brooklyn. At it's heart though, it feels like a somewhat rundown seaside amusement park even with the history of the area--though it's unique and it's fun for anyone who wants a different experience. Last time I was there a few years ago on the last fall weekend it was open, I remember taking a picture of a couple bikers from a bike rally(including a midget biker) standing in front of the Freak Show while an East Indian family wearing saris walked by. Hopefully they don't destroy too much of Coney Island's old school feel while they redevelop it--as it felt like a slice of pre-gentrification New York. They already got rid of the Shoot the Freak--which was such a weird and hilarious low-rent attraction.

Santa Monica on the other hand is a nice yuppified, beach-front city with a very touristy promenade. It's safe and for the average tourist family--and a much easier choice for most people with kids. There's some good restaurants and cultural attractions in downtown Santa Monica itself, which is a very attractive location. That being said, I prefer Venice in LA.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-26-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Coney Island felt a bit run down to me... No offense. I agree with kidphilly that there are nicer boardwalk areas in New Jersey.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Coney Island felt a bit run down to me... No offense. I agree with kidphilly that there are nicer boardwalk areas in New Jersey.
Coney Island is rather nostalgic and pleasant. It's rundown-ness gives it much of its charm. And who can forget that it's in New York, a city of 8M + people?

With that said, Santa Monica boardwalk is much prettier, as is the California coast all together.

Better weather, better scenery, more things nearby (but Coney Island is in NYC, but I digress).

Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
I voted for Santa Monica.

This is because, like others have said, Coney Island is a bit run down. There is still a small amusement area there, the New York aquarium, the boardwalk and of course the beach. But Coney Island is far far from its glory days.

Back in the late 1800s and into the early 1900s, the old Coney Island was a magical place for young people in ways we take for granted now. Before air conditioning everyone headed to the water in summer to cool off. Before many people had lights or electric, Coney Island was all brightly lit up at night. Before television, radio and computers, Coney Island was home to numerous amusement parks; including 3 major ones.... Luna Park, Dreamland and Steeplechase. Further inland was several horse racetracks like Sheepshead Bay and Gravesend.

But times changed. Today Coney is a shell of its old self. Many of the parks, restaurants, resorts and beer halls closed and were converted into housing or business.

But there is hope for the future. Several of the historic rides like the Cyclone, the Wonder Wheel and Parachute are being preserved around the Island. Dreamland Park was converted into the New York Aquarium years ago. More recently a new baseball team called the Brooklyn Cyclones brooklyncyclones.com: Brooklyn Cyclones plays at their stadium at the old Steeplechase Park. Meanwhile, a new smaller Luna Park Luna Park Amusement Park - Coney Island New York is now open and there are plans to open more amusements, stores and restaurants.

We will never be able to replicate the old Coney Island, but perhaps we can bring back a little of the magic.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Coney Island is rather nostalgic and pleasant. It's rundown-ness gives it much of its charm. And who can forget that it's in New York, a city of 8M + people?

With that said, Santa Monica boardwalk is much prettier, as is the California coast all together.

Better weather, better scenery, more things nearby (but Coney Island is in NYC, but I digress).
Oh it is a site to see, worth going to just to see it. But I'd also agree with the other poster, it's glory days are long gone. I'm sure that area could be revitalized somehow.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Coney Island is a little seedy Personally prefer Santa Monica

Really will depend upon what one is looking for. Jersey in most ways has better boardwalk experiences IMHO and in the summer will feel more beachy. Santa Monica is half LAish and half Beachy but on this would definately choose Santa Monica
coney is hardly as seedy as it was 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago. heck, there's a friggin espresso place on the boardwalk now. And that fancy little minor league ball park. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and the yuppie stroller brigade was out in force. You'd hardly ever see that in Coney in the 1970s or 1980s.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
coney is hardly as seedy as it was 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago. heck, there's a friggin espresso place on the boardwalk now. And that fancy little minor league ball park. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and the yuppie stroller brigade was out in force. You'd hardly ever see that in Coney in the 1970s or 1980s.
Fair my last real experience is probably over 10 years ago. Maybe as BK goes so will Coney Island. Even said I would imagine that Santa Monica is nicer today; actually one of my favorite areas of LA, I would not personally say the same for Coney Island with the caveat of having not been there in a while.

To the point above on the boardwalk, SM is a pier not a boardwalk and rather spartan in the ride activities category but that said I still quite enjoy and the Beach walk is nice in either direction (though honestly too much Dr Koz to the south of SM for my liking.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City