Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Sports City
San Diego 0 0%
Los Angeles 15 17.05%
Bay Area 12 13.64%
Sacramento 1 1.14%
Portland 1 1.14%
Seattle 9 10.23%
Denver 38 43.18%
Phoenix 7 7.95%
Salt Lake City 1 1.14%
Other 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Let us settle this baseball attendance thing once and for all!

Highest attendance in a season all time: (Rockies)
Major League Baseball attendance records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More attendance records set by Colorado (Fastest to 1, 2, 3, and 4 million fans) (Most for 1 game, and 1 4-game series)
Herald-Journal - Google News Archive Search

I realize the records were set at the old Mile High as well. But we still have one of the largest fields in all of baseball at Coors! Not bad! Plus we are a metro of 3 million not 17 million! That makes it even more sad for la! Even if you split the fans for both of your MLB teams, you are still twice as big!
Nobody outside your bubble gives a rip about those stats. The Dodgers also drew 110k plus at the Coliseum for a preseason game, the largest crown to see a baseball game EVER. But nobody cares about that either. What's sad is your attempt to claim superior fan attendance when the Rockies draw, on average, one million fewer fans per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
You forget that we draw from 3 million, not 17 million!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM

484 posts, read 871,397 times
what are the criteria for "best sports city?"

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

89 posts, read 165,466 times
Here's my opinion, from someone living on the East coast. I'm a huge sports fan, ands I probably watch about 4-5 hours of sports a day. I'm in love with sports. I'll rank my top 5 based on this; fans, recent success, and sports radio.

5. Phoenix: I honestly feel that Phoenix is underrated. Yes, their attendance isn't always the best, but they do get loud. I've never had the chance to listen to sports radio in Phoenix. The problem with Phoenix is that their only good team is the D-Backs.

4. Seattle: Rated under LA simply because of them only having 2 of the major 4 teams. The sports radio is pretty good there, with KJR and 710. Seahawks fans are some of the best, can't say the same about the Mariners. No real recent success, except for the Hawks beating the Saints in the playoffs a year ago.

3. Los Angeles: Rated this high simply for number of teams. Fans don't really get loud, Clippers are crazy overrated, and their fans only care when they get a dunk. Laker fans are pretty good, but seem to care more about who's their than who's playing. Both 710 and the Fox Sports radio station are pretty good. USC football fans are great. Only real recent success has been USC.

2. San Francisco: Great sports city. Still get good attendance for the 9ers, Warriors, Sharks and Giants, and fans seem to actually care about the game. I think the station is 680 the Sports leader, but it's one of the best I've ever listened to. 9ers almost got to the Super Bowl, Giants won a world series, and the Sharks are similar to the Lakers, good in the regular season, choke in the playoffs.

1. Denver: Strong fan base for all 4 major teams. Plus, just like San Fran, fans get loud. Broncos are like a religion, and hockey is huge, from the pros all the way down to high school, something not seen anywhere else in the western USA. 104.3 the fan is also one of the best stations I've ever listened to. Nuggets are similar to the Lakers and Sharks, the Broncos won a playoff game and got better this off-season, and CU is the PAC-12 basketball Champs.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDborn View Post
Here's my opinion, from someone living on the East coast. I'm a huge sports fan, ands I probably watch about 4-5 hours of sports a day. I'm in love with sports. I'll rank my top 5 based on this; fans, recent success, and sports radio.

5. Phoenix: I honestly feel that Phoenix is underrated. Yes, their attendance isn't always the best, but they do get loud. I've never had the chance to listen to sports radio in Phoenix. The problem with Phoenix is that their only good team is the D-Backs.

4. Seattle: Rated under LA simply because of them only having 2 of the major 4 teams. The sports radio is pretty good there, with KJR and 710. Seahawks fans are some of the best, can't say the same about the Mariners. No real recent success, except for the Hawks beating the Saints in the playoffs a year ago.

3. Los Angeles: Rated this high simply for number of teams. Fans don't really get loud, Clippers are crazy overrated, and their fans only care when they get a dunk. Laker fans are pretty good, but seem to care more about who's their than who's playing. Both 710 and the Fox Sports radio station are pretty good. USC football fans are great. Only real recent success has been USC.

2. San Francisco: Great sports city. Still get good attendance for the 9ers, Warriors, Sharks and Giants, and fans seem to actually care about the game. I think the station is 680 the Sports leader, but it's one of the best I've ever listened to. 9ers almost got to the Super Bowl, Giants won a world series, and the Sharks are similar to the Lakers, good in the regular season, choke in the playoffs.

1. Denver: Strong fan base for all 4 major teams. Plus, just like San Fran, fans get loud. Broncos are like a religion, and hockey is huge, from the pros all the way down to high school, something not seen anywhere else in the western USA. 104.3 the fan is also one of the best stations I've ever listened to. Nuggets are similar to the Lakers and Sharks, the Broncos won a playoff game and got better this off-season, and CU is the PAC-12 basketball Champs.
USC's success actually was almost 8 years ago now. The Lakers have won two NBA titles and been to the Finals 3 times since 2008.

The Sharks are NOT similar to the Lakers becasue the Lakers DON'T have a reputation for choking in the playoffs. I don't know what planet you're living on but the LA Lakers are by far, BY F--KING FAR, the most successful playoff team in NBA history. Just because they don't make the NBA Finals for the first time in 4 years doesn't make them chokers.

Again, I don't know if you've heard of this...now, stay with me here, but there is this sports league made up entirely of basketball teams. It's called the NBA, it's a bit of an upstart, you might not have heard of it yet. But it has 30 teams. And of those 30, THE G-DDAMN DENVER NUGGETS ARE THE LAST TEAM I WOULD EVER COMPARE TO THE LAKERS! Are you freaking serious? WTF are you on man?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,974 times
u dont get 'real' laker fans at laker games because most people cant afford it. its usually hollywood scum and spoiled rich kids who leave in the 4th if the lakers are down. the 'real' laker fans are the classy ones that riot outside staples center lol

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 AM

89 posts, read 165,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
USC's success actually was almost 8 years ago now. The Lakers have won two NBA titles and been to the Finals 3 times since 2008.

The Sharks are NOT similar to the Lakers becasue the Lakers DON'T have a reputation for choking in the playoffs. I don't know what planet you're living on but the LA Lakers are by far, BY F--KING FAR, the most successful playoff team in NBA history. Just because they don't make the NBA Finals for the first time in 4 years doesn't make them chokers.

Again, I don't know if you've heard of this...now, stay with me here, but there is this sports league made up entirely of basketball teams. It's called the NBA, it's a bit of an upstart, you might not have heard of it yet. But it has 30 teams. And of those 30, THE G-DDAMN DENVER NUGGETS ARE THE LAST TEAM I WOULD EVER COMPARE TO THE LAKERS! Are you freaking serious? WTF are you on man?
Let me tell you something. There's this thing called the AP poll in college football. If you didn't know, which you obviously didn't, it ranks the 25 best teams in college football, and USC happened to finish 5th in that poll this year. So yes, their success has come this year, too. And I'm very familiar with the NBA. The Lakers got swept by the Mavericks last year, and no way they're winning this year with Andrew Bynum acting like he's 12 years old and Kobe shooting 40% a game.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDborn View Post
Let me tell you something. There's this thing called the AP poll in college football. If you didn't know, which you obviously didn't, it ranks the 25 best teams in college football, and USC happened to finish 5th in that poll this year. So yes, their success has come this year, too. And I'm very familiar with the NBA. The Lakers got swept by the Mavericks last year, and no way they're winning this year with Andrew Bynum acting like he's 12 years old and Kobe shooting 40% a game.
What does this have to do with anything that he asked you

Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,902 times
Reggie Bush killed any chance for USC to have bowl glory the last few years. 2012 is going to be a big season for them.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM

34 posts, read 31,545 times
Oakland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City