Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 02:52 PM

86 posts, read 60,752 times

Advertisements

1) Philadelphia (visited/now live)
2) San Diego (visited)
3) San Francisco (visited/used to live)
4) New Orleans (visited)
5) New York City (visited) very close runner up: Honolulu (visited)

Bonus Question: Have never visited Dallas but would love to go on vacation sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 03:41 PM

101 posts, read 80,538 times
[quote=sub;60985197]Duly noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Duly noted.
I was being a little facetious. My experience with Phoenix was in early spring. April I think, but certainly no later.
By 10:00 a.m., the temps were already getting into the 90's.
Instead of 4, I'd say for me personally, there'd be about 7-8 months of air-conditioned hibernation if I lived there. I don't do any kind of heat. Some people of course love it.

Having to rely on something as artificial as A/C to survive in a place would worry me. Doesn't seem like the kind of place that has electrical issues very often, I don't know, but it's still not comforting.
I live north of Milwaukee right now. Like the Phoenix heat, I feel like people make way too big an issue of the cold. If the electricity were to go out, or the gas not come on, you can still bundle up and burn just about anything to stay warm.

Regardless, don't take it too personally. Phoenix still made my top 5 cause I kind of like it, and I've been to a solid majority of major cities in this country.
It's like relying on heat in cold weather areas.

The Phoenix area gets most (if not all) of its electricity from a nuclear power plant (Palo Verde). It's pretty rock solid reliable. Power outages aren't common, in fact I can't really remember a time the power ever went out while I've lived here.

I don't take it personally, but the overuse of Phoenix being some sort of hell scape because we have hot summers .. well, it needs some defending. I can't imagine dealing with cold winters in Milwaukee, but everyone has different temps/weather conditions they feel more comfortable in and can live with.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
Response to BOLDED section above:

The heat will make you go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned stores to air conditioned movie theaters to swimming pools for 4 months out of the year. Sometimes you end up feeling a little chilly in a restaurant or a store. Golfing and hiking must be done at earlier hours during the summer.

A wasteland, it is not. It's nothing like MadMax. It's a pretty major metro with 5 million people. We even have that new thing .. what's it called? The Internet.

8 months out of the year = perfect weather in a very large major metro. It has everything a very large major metro has and then some.

The secret of Phoenix is .. the weather really isn't anywhere near as bad as people portray it and I probably shouldn't advertise that because floods of people are already moving here.
SHHH, we're already the fastest growing city in the country. Don't tell them the high country is nearby either.

Such a wasteland. These are my personal photos.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:47 PM

44 posts, read 34,218 times
1. Chicago (Visit several times a year)
2. New York (Been twice)
3. DC (Been once)
4. Miami (Been twice)
5. Ann Arbor (Living in)

Honorable Mentions: Nashville, Cleveland, Atlanta

Old 05-06-2021, 09:18 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
  1. Chicago - (Visited) Loved the urbanity, the food, and the lakeshore.
  2. St. Louis - (Visited) Good food, good old neighborhoods. Wouldn't want to live there.
  3. Fort Collins - (Lived) Got my degree from CSU. Enjoyed Old Town and the proximity to awesome outdoor recreation. Job market is fairly weak.
  4. Denver/Aurora - (Live) The economy, the scenery, the amenities, the outdoor recreation, and the climate are all awesome. Can see myself retiring here.
  5. Albuquerque - (Visited) New Mexican is one of my favorite cuisines, and Albuquerque has plenty of it. Great scenery with the Sandia Mountains to the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
Bonus Question: Have never visited Dallas but would love to go on vacation sometime.
Save your money. Unless you're a foodie or you like shopping, Dallas-Fort Worth is not very touristy. It sprawls for days, and the natural setting is borderline ugly.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:40 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Favorite cities to visit:
New Orleans
DC
Manhattan
San Francisco
Boston - I’m 60 miles south. I’ve lived in inner suburbs Winchester and Arlington, worked in Cambridge

With a high net worth, where I’d live:
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Manhattan
Boston

Old 05-11-2021, 06:46 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
For those who enjoy living in Chicago more than New York - can you elaborate? Im seeing this alot. As someone who is considering a placement in Chicago and loves Chicago.... what puts Chicago above NYC? Would love to see the insight of others!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Chicago
Boston
LA
San Diego
Miami

Old 05-12-2021, 06:08 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For those who enjoy living in Chicago more than New York - can you elaborate? Im seeing this alot. As someone who is considering a placement in Chicago and loves Chicago.... what puts Chicago above NYC? Would love to see the insight of others!
I don't live there but from having spent a fair amount of time in Chicago I would say some of the big draws for me were:

-COL - much better overall
-Manageability - It's got the real BIG city feel but doesn't feel as overwhelming or breakneck at times.
-Cleanliness - Self explanatory
-Beaches right in the city

Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
SHHH, we're already the fastest growing city in the country. Don't tell them the high country is nearby either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Z0cg2vfoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJ3x-ur0cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37c5kWGzsE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City