Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Apology accepted, and I appreciate that you wern't defensive about it. Enjoy your evening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Portland, OR
San Francisco
New Orleans
Boston
Wailuku, Maui

Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Miami
San Juan (actually I'd try to buy a house outside of San Juan)
NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn)
Chicago
Atlanta

Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
1. San Francisco - I think you have to really know San Francisco to appreciate/love it. If you just visit Union Square/Downtown and the Wharf, i would think it's really overrated and full of Homeless but the other neighborhoods is where SF is a gem of a city.

2. Portland - Love the City and the surrounding outdoor options in the city.

3. Kansas City, MO - Because it's home, it's easy to get around, underrated but urban and its dirt cheap

4. San Diego - Love the weather, the people and the general laid back vibe

5. NYC

Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
This is a great, and really tough, question. If I answered this next week, I'd probably have a (slightly) different list. And there are bigger changes from year to year.

1. New York. I was born here, I live here, and I don't expect anywhere to ever steal its top spot. Interesting thing is I actively root against New York. I don't want us to have the tallest building, the coolest urban park, the hippest neighborhood, the best restaurant. I want to see U.S. cities succeed, and that means spreading the wealth. But year after year, New York just keeps getting better -- except in affordability.

2. Washington, DC. I used to go a lot as a kid and always thought it felt special, then went a long time without visiting. I returned a couple of years ago and loved it so much that I only waited a little more than a year to return. I just couldn't get enough. DC is such an underrated city -- sure, it's hugely popular as a tourist destination, but it's such an underrated city, you know what I mean? I love the architecture, the endless public spaces, the grandeur of the place.

3. Chicago. I went to college in the area. Funnily enough, I didn't really fall in love with it until after I left. I think I was always measuring it up against New York, and it didn't compare in my mind. But you can't look at Chicago as another New York; you have to look at it as the only Chicago. Another mistake I made: I left every summer, which is now easily my favorite time of year there. What's more, since I left town, Chicago has made huge progress in building and developing really cool and exciting stuff.

4. Seattle. To be honest, this spot changed a few times. What do you call your fourth-favorite U.S. city? Ultimately, I went with Seattle for its woody Pacific Northwest charm, skyline, smart and cynical populace, unique waterfront setting, effortless mix of big and intimate, Pike Place Market -- it's tough to pinpoint one big thing I like about it, which is perhaps why I had to think about it a bit, but the little ones add up.

5. Charleston. South Carolina, not West Virginia. It's too small and low-slung to rise above No. 5, but I loved Charleston so much when I visited a couple of years ago that I had to stick it in here. Charleston is actually one of the most surprising cities I've ever seen. I wasn't expecting much. I didn't anticipate the beauty of the Old South architecture or the perfect public parks, and I definitely didn't think I was going to eat some of the best food I've ever had. But all that is exactly what I got.

Bonus question: New Orleans. Easy call here, because New Orleans is the only major American tourist destination that I have yet to visit. I'm intrigued, and I'll make it one day.

There are other cities that would have easily made this list at one time, but it's been so long that I don't trust my memory of them (hello, San Francisco) and others that I feel could make the list but I haven't dived in deeply enough (I'm thinking Boston).

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
NYC (Lived)
SF (Love the pace)
BOS (Love the mentality)
Chicago (Lived)
*#5 is tricky:
DC (Love the culture)
SD (Love the climate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
1. NYC (Lived) - Ultimate city IMO, definitely on my top 3 worldwide. Great energy, culinary scene, diversity. Can basically find anything you want somewhere in the city.

2. Boston (Live Currently) - Historic, clean, sophisticated with beautiful architecture. Great job market and with a young daughter a great metro to raise children because of the top notch education options. Also a wonderful city to eat in for both ethnic and high end cuisine.

3. SF (Visited multiple times) - Just a beautiful city overall. Great architecture and topography. The urban setting along with water and hills make it unique. Also once again one of the best cities to eat on the planet.

4. DC (Spend at least a day or two there each month) - It is a government industry driven city, but still finds a way to stay vibrant and energetic. Wonderful Jazz scene and the preservation of black culture is much appreciated. As a Black Professional I also admire the prosperity in the community. Great cultural options as well with the free museums.

5. Miami (Lived) - Was the first place I lived when we emigrated to the US. Closest city both culturally and geographically to the Caribbean (where I am from originally) Love the access to Jamaican food and culture along with the vibrancy the city has due to its diversity. Beaches, Beautiful people and nightlife.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM

611 posts, read 1,455,756 times
1. NYC - for obvious reasons.
2.Baltimore - I LOVE B-More, I lived there for 18 months, I love the architecture, the blue-collarness of it. It stands in such contrast to its Pretentious neighbor to the south.
3. Minneapolis - Beautiful architecture, great uniqueness to its road-ways. Oh, and the Mall of America, lol.
4. Washington DC - The multicultural feel to this city is mind blowing, love DC.
5. Las Vegas - Moving there next and am sure I will fall in love with the desert, was there last week and am excited to go permanently.

Cities I know I would fall in love with:
New Orleans
San Fransisco
Toronto (As much as its on HGTV, its now un-officially part of the US of A in my book)

Honorable Mention: St Petersburg, Fl......this is a gem of a city, in a state with a serious issue with cookie-cutter everything! (I am from Florida, so I can say that)

Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM

304 posts, read 871,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
This is a great, and really tough, question. If I answered this next week, I'd probably have a (slightly) different list. And there are bigger changes from year to year.

1. New York. I was born here, I live here, and I don't expect anywhere to ever steal its top spot. Interesting thing is I actively root against New York. I don't want us to have the tallest building, the coolest urban park, the hippest neighborhood, the best restaurant. I want to see U.S. cities succeed, and that means spreading the wealth. But year after year, New York just keeps getting better -- except in affordability.

2. Washington, DC. I used to go a lot as a kid and always thought it felt special, then went a long time without visiting. I returned a couple of years ago and loved it so much that I only waited a little more than a year to return. I just couldn't get enough. DC is such an underrated city -- sure, it's hugely popular as a tourist destination, but it's such an underrated city, you know what I mean? I love the architecture, the endless public spaces, the grandeur of the place.

3. Chicago. I went to college in the area. Funnily enough, I didn't really fall in love with it until after I left. I think I was always measuring it up against New York, and it didn't compare in my mind. But you can't look at Chicago as another New York; you have to look at it as the only Chicago. Another mistake I made: I left every summer, which is now easily my favorite time of year there. What's more, since I left town, Chicago has made huge progress in building and developing really cool and exciting stuff.

4. Seattle. To be honest, this spot changed a few times. What do you call your fourth-favorite U.S. city? Ultimately, I went with Seattle for its woody Pacific Northwest charm, skyline, smart and cynical populace, unique waterfront setting, effortless mix of big and intimate, Pike Place Market -- it's tough to pinpoint one big thing I like about it, which is perhaps why I had to think about it a bit, but the little ones add up.

5. Charleston. South Carolina, not West Virginia. It's too small and low-slung to rise above No. 5, but I loved Charleston so much when I visited a couple of years ago that I had to stick it in here. Charleston is actually one of the most surprising cities I've ever seen. I wasn't expecting much. I didn't anticipate the beauty of the Old South architecture or the perfect public parks, and I definitely didn't think I was going to eat some of the best food I've ever had. But all that is exactly what I got.

Bonus question: New Orleans. Easy call here, because New Orleans is the only major American tourist destination that I have yet to visit. I'm intrigued, and I'll make it one day.

There are other cities that would have easily made this list at one time, but it's been so long that I don't trust my memory of them (hello, San Francisco) and others that I feel could make the list but I haven't dived in deeply enough (I'm thinking Boston).
This is a great list. I can see what you're saying about Washington DC. I love Chicago as well. It is very different it seems from New York, but it was a lot of fun when I visited.

New Orleans is definitely a city I would like to visit as well. Im only a 6 hr drive away so I might have to one day.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

415 posts, read 1,209,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Hmmm this is tough, I'm going to list just the ones I've visited

San Francisco - spent a whole week there without leaving the city limits doing different activities in different neighborhoods everyday. The architecture, hills, ocean/bay, & topography, Golden Gate Park & Bridge, colorful neighborhoods and culinary scene make it my favorite city to visit, wouldn't live there though.

San Diego- it doesn't knock my socks off but I'm always very pleased when visiting San Diego. It's so pretty and laid back I get a mild sense of Euphoria when I'm there. In SD the rat race and 40 hour work week is the furthest thing from my mind, it feels like a big resort city to me. I prefer it to LA as its just the right size and not too big and more attractive beaches and a better downtown IMO. Balboa Park is also outstanding. La Jolla is probably the most beautiful coastal neighborhood I've seen anywhere.

Quebec City - yeah yeah I know, it's in Canada and even that is loosely interoperated as its within separatist Quebec. Quebec City is the most romantic city in North America though. If I had been blindfolded and dropped in a helicopter I would have thought I was in Old World Europe. The old city is fortified with 18th century constructed walls, within is some of the best old world architecture, charm, and joie de vivre one could encounter. It's straight out of a Charles Dickens setting. Great food and it really is very friendly, at least in my experience.

Washington DC - I love DC. The big expanses of the National Mall and Potomac River parkland make it feel like a city within a park. The museum experiences are unparalleled, The metro subway is the nicest Mass transit system I've experienced in North America, and you feel the history on a deep level that has been made there as you walk amongst the national monuments and memorials. DC also has some awesome edge cities and suburbs with a brilliant juxtaposition between old & historic and new & modern.

Philadelphia - Philly has one of my favorite skylines, the buildings there from modern Liberty Place to the stunning city hall are just gorgeous. The history both local and national is very palpable; the neighborhoods are charming and walkable. I even like the grit in Philly, it makes it real. The art museum is one of my favorites, definitely one of the best in the country.

(edit: just saw the OP, saying US cities only - sorry I had already written this post and I stand by my ranking on Quebec and Canada is close enough to the US without starying too far from the topic, j'adore Quebec)
Awesome list mate! I live in San Diego myself. Been to LA several times and cant agree with you more! It simply is Americas Finest City. Its like LA before all the congestion, fast life, little rest life style took over. I certainly miss San Diego I have to leave town or the states. Its such a delight flying into San Diego International, right over Downtown and the beautiful bay. Ive lived there for 2 years now and the city still surprises me to this day with little secrets and gems tucked away.

San Francisco was AMAZING! Although I have to say most of my time was spent in the Bay Area for my first visit. Me and my partner went for the Worlds Highest tandum sky dive for my birthday on New Years Eve at 18,000 feet! To describe every feeling and moment would require much more time and reading and such, but it was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Ive few into the city a few times but never good enough to get a good shot I guess cuz San Bruno is a bit of a ways from DT SF, and its always foggy it seems But I had fun and enjoyed the city.

I visited DC back in 05 and went all around the city from the White House, The Washington Monument, the Jefferson Monument, the Womens WWII Monument, Arlington Cemetery, Kennedy's Eternal Flame, The Lost Soldier, The Pentagon, and so much more! I certainly was a splendid day in the Capitol and I could see my self living in DC. But it would have to be centrally.

and Quebec I plan on visiting some time soon! Ive heard so much about it and it seems live a wonderful place to vacation!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,533 times
New Orleans
SF
DC
ABQ
San Juan, PR

Would love to visit Santa Fe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City