Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
To be fair, if you are judging downtown Indianapolis as a mile square, you have to exclude a lot of your list, depending on where you are plotting that square. The original mile square does not include Victory Field or Lucas Oil Stadium, nor the Eitlejorg or any part of IUPUI.

I'll go ahead and say it, Midtown Manhattan has most of this stuff and then some in under a mile square.
Referring to the Mile Sq so North, South, East, West Streets. LOS has a South Street. Eitlejorg, IUPUI, JW Marriott, Vic he's considering since all three do physically sit on the West side of West Street. So you either count crossing the street or you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Referring to the Mile Sq so North, South, East, West Streets. LOS has a South Street. Eitlejorg, IUPUI, JW Marriott, Vic he's considering since all three do physically sit on the West side of West Street. So you either count crossing the street or you don't.
The mile square refers to everything inside the square. Being adjacent to the square is not the same as being IN the square.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Central Indiana: 'Most Affordable' Housing Market - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
Of Course Indianapolis is #1 for most affordable housing market again

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Okay, so enlighten me.

Tell me the one square mile in NYC or LA that has the equivalents of:

Restaurants
Shopping
Hotels
Monuments & Memorials
Parks
Eiteljorg Museum
Start of the IUPUI campus
Convention Center
State Capitol building
Churches
Victory Field (baseball)
Conseco Fieldhouse (basketball)
Lucas Oil Stadium (football)
Union Station (Amtrack/Greyhound)
The Murat (great concert venue)
Mass Ave. (part of it)
The Canal Walk (part of it)
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

I'll be waiting for a response.
Quote:
To be fair, if you are judging downtown Indianapolis as a mile square, you have to exclude a lot of your list, depending on where you are plotting that square. The original mile square does not include Victory Field or Lucas Oil Stadium, nor the Eitlejorg or any part of IUPUI.

I'll go ahead and say it, Midtown Manhattan has most of this stuff and then some in under a mile square.
I agree with Toxic here.

In addition, first of all, judging the quality of a downtown area by any specific square mile is ridiculous, but to enlighten you, like you asked to, Minneapolis does have most, if not all of that list, within a waking distance in Downtown, but with a lot more quality compared to Indy of course. Don't forget the Twins, for instance, is part of the MLB unlike the Indians and the Metrodome is going to be replaced by a wonderful brand new stadium in the very same location and unlike Indy, they are anticipating and planning a better plan to cover for operational maintenance of the new stadium (see the new Stadium forum if you care... Minneapolis learned with the mistakes made by Indy administering the Lucas Oil and won't repeat them). Oh well, I should not been comparing Indy to the Twin Cities, my bad, as they are 2-3 levels above IMHO...

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis is much larger and much more sophisticated than all of the other cities. it is a significantly older and more sophisticated metropolitan area with much more to offer. it's probably not fair to make a poll in which st. louis and omaha are compared. kansas city is maybe more comparable to st. louis, but still a very distant second in this poll. st. louis is a more eastern oriented city; the others are undoubtedly great plains. there is a fundamental cultural difference. apples and oranges.
Great Plains=Western Midwest...the two cities have their differences, but in many ways I think they are overstated. They aren't night and day differences. Culturally, KC and STL are a lot alike in many respects, however, it's definitely true that KC and Omaha are western before they are eastern.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
as a native easterner, kansas city not at all culturally similar to st. louis. kc is more like omaha; st. louis is like baltimore/phila.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
For winter recreation lovers, like me, all of these cities have a painful lousy winter (I'm not so sure about Omaha).

Forget about last mild winter, but even in a typical winter, they don't get a consistent snow pack due to, first, it just doesn't snow that much and second, temps often stay above freezing melting away quickly whatever snow is on the ground. Plus... it's mostly flat land. I hate winters in Indy and I suspect they are similar in STL and KC, again not sure about Omaha but maybe they get more snow there and it's colder? If so, I bet I would like it better!
There is no such thing as a typical winter for KC, Indy, and STL. Looking at the past four decades, and especially this past one, tells us that it is equally as likely to snow a lot as not to. I guess it depends on what you mean by a lot of snow. For me, a decent amount of snow is 20-30 inches...anything above it is a ton. The snowpack is definitely much more consistent in Omaha due it being much colder on average, however, the flip side of that is that their snowfall average is not much higher than the other three. However, you definitely are more likely to see a very snowy winter in these areas more often than the other three. STL, KC, and Indy are gamble cities as far as the winter is concerned. You never know what you are going to get in a given winter. Snowfall is likely to be high in a given year as low, and you are correct in that the cover doesn't last long...it still can be enough to cause major disruptions though. None of these cities I would say are the best options in the midwest for snow.

KC, Indy, and STL have moderate winters. Omaha has what i'd call a severe one just due to the temperatures and the wind-chills...combine that with snow, and you've got a bad winter, or good, depending on how you look at it. Regardless, all four of these cities can get really cold and snowy in the winter and hot in the summer...Omaha is just colder and more consistent in the winter than these others.

However, I can definitely tell you that I share the same desire with you to move further north. I want to live in a place that has truly brutal winters..or good, depending on how you look at it. Like you, I want a place that stays cold and is consistently covered in snow. Indy, KC, and STL can get cold and be snow-covered for a bit, but it's just not long enough to take for granted. My other reason for wanting to move further north (although Omaha is not a great alternative for that) is I hate the summers here. I can't stand the heat and humidity...Upstate New York, Michigan, or Wisconsin very pleasant in the summer. Anything that doesn't get above the mid-80s and where the heat index is normally well below 90 is what I'd like in a summer. San Diego or San francisco or anywhere on the west coast actually does this better than any place in the Midwest.

Last edited by stlouisan; 05-17-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I agree with Toxic here.

In addition, first of all, judging the quality of a downtown area by any specific square mile is ridiculous, but to enlighten you, like you asked to, Minneapolis does have most, if not all of that list, within a waking distance in Downtown, but with a lot more quality compared to Indy of course. Don't forget the Twins, for instance, is part of the MLB unlike the Indians and the Metrodome is going to be replaced by a wonderful brand new stadium in the very same location and unlike Indy, they are anticipating and planning a better plan to cover for operational maintenance of the new stadium (see the new Stadium forum if you care... Minneapolis learned with the mistakes made by Indy administering the Lucas Oil and won't repeat them). Oh well, I should not been comparing Indy to the Twin Cities, my bad, as they are 2-3 levels above IMHO...
lol, just about every major city the size of Indianapolis or larger has all kinds of things like that. The guy who made that post is making Indy's downtown out to be like Chicago's or New York's the way he talks about it. That doesn't mean Indy's downtown isn't great or anything like that, it's just not really anything to brag about IMO.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:

What monuments and memorials are in Midtown?
What park is in Midtown?
What convention center is in Midtown?
What baseball, football, and basketball arenas are in Midtown?
What canal/riverwalk is in Midtown?

And Victory Field, Lucas Oil, IUPUI and the Eiteljorg share the same boundary as the square mile of North, East, South, and West Streets. Are they "in" that square mile? No.

But then again, if New York can say it has 3 airports (one of which is in Jersey), and it can say it has 2 football teams (of which both are in Jersey), then I don't think its too much of a stretch to include entertainment/attractions that actually touch the boundaries I'm talking about.

And back on topic, Kansas City, St. Louis, and Omaha can't touch what Indy has, in such a tight area, with a ten foot pole.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
And back on topic, Kansas City, St. Louis, and Omaha can't touch what Indy has, in such a tight area, with a ten foot pole.
this is laughable (and embarrassing...for you.). indianapolis <<<<<< saint louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City