Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Ok we get it, Indy has hosted the Super Bowl. So has Jacksonville. Who cares
I 2nd this. I get that the Superbowl is a huge event and brought tons of visitors, money and attention to the city, but it doesn't do a thing for current livability or pedestrian activity.

Indy stands very will on its other amenities, ones that are there everyday. Not ones that might be there again in 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I 2nd this. I get that the Superbowl is a huge event and brought tons of visitors, money and attention to the city, but it doesn't do a thing for current livability or pedestrian activity.

Indy stands very will on its other amenities, ones that are there everyday. Not ones that might be there again in 7 years.
Sports events do not make a city. Indianapolis has never hosted a World Series. Who the hell cares?

Anyway, the votes speak for themselves. Sorry folks, it ain't even CLOSE!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Sports events do not make a city. Indianapolis has never hosted a World Series. Who the hell cares?

Agreed. STL is far and away the best here. KC Indy is the closest matchup of the 4, but KC wins for me. Omaha is just too small to match up on paper.

All have their pros and cons, STL puts it together the best.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Because, of course, polls on C-D are scientific and representative of the views of the total population.

Anyway, BRG (Indy's #1 cheerleader on C-D) is a 17-year-old kid. Hope you guys feel better winning the rhetorical war.

BRG - Get off the damn Super Bowl, for crying out loud. It's great that we hosted it and did it better than most. It says a lot of positive things about Indy, but it's not the be-all, end-all.

Last edited by grmasterb; 05-18-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
What!?!?!?

I thought the toll road from Honolulu to San Francisco had been put on hold for a lack of funding.

Maybe I should have kept better track of that project.

Same thing with " Alaska " LOL....Anchorage and Honolulu ship their's
cars over on ferries and cargo ships....then ship them back across the ocean when they tire of the 48 states.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Not walkable?? Tell that to the thousands of visitors from the northeast who was downtown during the superbowl saying how walkable the place was to get to everything within shorter distance without going all over the city.

Indy is apparently more popular with this much walkable activity. Please put your glass back on so you can see as millions were packing these streets.

Speaking of walkable about every corner you turn people are walking all over downtown with many places that are within walking distance.

You can see how thick the crowds where that night. The most crowded of any street that day in the midwest including Chicago's Michigan Avenue. It was so crazy it felt like being packed in like NYC's Time Square for the ball drop you could barely even move. Only New Orleans and Indy are the most walkable to more stuff during a Superbowl without the car or light rail.

St Louis and KC you better stick to your neighborhoods for now. Indy's downtown is more vibrantly superior.

Indianpolis "Trump" St. Louis and KCMO on SUPER BOWL WEEK , but what about the other 360 days of the year , I think that both Indianpolis and
Charlotte NC are going to become greater cities than KCMO in about 5 to 10 years.

Indianpolis is on my "bucket list" because I haven't been to Indianpolis yet
( but ) it looked fantastic on the videos provided , and I wait with baited breathe to actually set foot in the great city of Indianpolis IN.

Kansas City Missouri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4tcVm7ycU&NR=1

Last edited by Howest2008; 05-19-2012 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
St. Louis feels the most "major" of these cities, including having an extensive suburban network. Omaha/Indianapolis are basically interchangeable, two overgrown small towns with residents convinced they are in NYC.

Kansas City is the prettiest city of the 4 though. The Plaza would actually impress people from European cities in my opinion, St Louis as well, as it's more walkable overall, but doesn't have something like the Plaza.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
KC has The Plaza and lots of beautiful fountains, but St. Louis has stately 19th century Victorian parks virtually unmatched in the US. Not to mention Forest Park, one of the greatest urban parks in the nation. And it's a true urban park, surrounded by dense urban neighborhoods on all sides, not suburban woodlands on the edge of the core in other cities.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
What monuments and memorials are in Midtown?
What park is in Midtown?

What convention center is in Midtown?
What baseball, football, and basketball arenas are in Midtown?
What canal/riverwalk is in Midtown?

And Victory Field, Lucas Oil, IUPUI and the Eiteljorg share the same boundary as the square mile of North, East, South, and West Streets. Are they "in" that square mile? No.
Bryant Park is in Midtown, so too is Central Park.

Javits Center is in Midtown. Piers 92 94 is in Midtown.

Madison Square Garden is just outside of a mile south of Cental Park; if you are stretching the Indianapolis mile square, I am stretching NYC's too.

The Hudson River Greenway rolls along the Hudson River along the periphery of Midtown.

There are no football stadiums or baseball stadiums in Midtown Manhattan, because it is cost prohibitive. They do not have the same wide open lots in Manhattan that we have in Indianapolis, nor is it as cheap to acquire and bulldoze buildings there. It is a different market.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
What!?!?!?

I thought the toll road from Honolulu to San Francisco had been put on hold for a lack of funding.

Maybe I should have kept better track of that project.

You do realize it's possible to ship cars from Hawaii overseas don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City