Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
People will always talk about Chicago. You hear enough flack about Detroit and Cleveland. You hear a lot of "debate" about Minneapolis.

So, of the less discussed and slightly smaller metro areas, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis, which one is the best mix of overall QOL aspects and a brighter future. Please take the poll and explain your answer.
whadaya mean by "debate", that sounds like some kind of racist code to me....robert (if that's your real name )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
The CWS stadium is too big for their needs. Hell, Rosenblatt was too big. Seems like they are doing well in their own stadium. As for NHL, it will never happen. Omaha is not a major league sports town and never will be. Personally, I'm happy with the two levels of hockey they have.
Their new ball park doesn't do much for Omaha though. It also is in the middle of a field, by nothing.

I am still convinced a deal could of been worked out for the Storm Chasers downtown if the powers that be weren't so darn stubborn.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
1. St. Louis
2. Kansas City
3. Indianapolis
4. Omaha

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Indy strikes me as the most (economically) progressive of this bunch.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Indy strikes me as the most (economically) progressive of this bunch.
Yep. Cause Hoosiers dont sit around and let the birds of opportunity fly away
Hoosier Hospitality is great though hence one major reason i love it here.
People are civilized and willing to go out of their way to help you.
the 5 great mayors of change in Indianapolis in order.
Richard Lugar *Now US senator from Indiana* he consolidated Indianapolis to its current size. Mayor Bill Hudnutt the 2nd also known as the maker of Modern Indy Mayor, Stephen Goldsmith the Consolidator, Bart Peterson the Education Reformer, Mayor Greg Ballard the Pro Business/repair our Infrastructure guy.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Their new ball park doesn't do much for Omaha though. It also is in the middle of a field, by nothing.

I am still convinced a deal could of been worked out for the Storm Chasers downtown if the powers that be weren't so darn stubborn.
I don't think a deal would have mattered. It's too big and nobody wants to go to a game when the vast majority of the stadium is empty!

I don't care too much that it doesn't benefit Omaha. I have more loyalty to Papillion and Sarpy County, and from what I can tell it's a success so far. I don't live there anymore so I haven't been to any games.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Yep. Cause Hoosiers dont sit around and let the birds of opportunity fly away
Hoosier Hospitality is great though hence one major reason i love it here.
People are civilized and willing to go out of their way to help you.
the 5 great mayors of change in Indianapolis in order.
Richard Lugar *Now US senator from Indiana* he consolidated Indianapolis to its current size. Mayor Bill Hudnutt the 2nd also known as the maker of Modern Indy Mayor, Stephen Goldsmith the Consolidator, Bart Peterson the Education Reformer, Mayor Greg Ballard the Pro Business/repair our Infrastructure guy.
I will give you this. Out of the 4 I queried on the OP/poll, I will say that Indianapolis has the nicest people I've met, and possibly more so than in most other US cities.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I don't think so. They are roughly the same, but STL should always be considered slightly larger.
Urbanized area is a much better measure of "city" size. StL is 2.15 million, Cleveland is 1.78 million.

KC is 1.52, Indy is 1.49, and Omaha is 0.725, for comparison relevant to the OP's list.

Metro population densities are very comparable among the 3 bigger cities, with significantly smaller Omaha as the outlier. Highest to lowest they are:

Omaha at 2673 ppsm

StL at 2329 ppsm

Cleveland at 2306ppsm

KC at 2242

Indy at 2107

Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I don't think a deal would have mattered. It's too big and nobody wants to go to a game when the vast majority of the stadium is empty!

I don't care too much that it doesn't benefit Omaha. I have more loyalty to Papillion and Sarpy County, and from what I can tell it's a success so far. I don't live there anymore so I haven't been to any games.
Creighton baseball is enjoying the big stadium!

Just more that the new AAA stadium literally isn't near anything. No dining, shopping, hotels, homes nothing just empty space. Makes for a really boring before and after experience while at a Creighton game I can ride down get a bite to eat before and a few drinks after without having to drive all over the place.

Good crowds fun in game atmosphere, but it really doesn't do much for the urbanist in me. It would of been much much better in a different location where an outlet mall and entertainment district are supposed to be built. Sort of make it a similar area to the Legends area of KC.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I voted for St. Louis because it has the best historical record of being a big city. You can still see this today, with many historical buildings near downtown, and some mid-century high rise construction outside of downtown. St. Louis may not have the population lead it once had, but it still seems "big-city", as opposed to the other options here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City