Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Can't remember the exact films but in the past few years there were a couple of action films that my boyfriend was called for to do a few weeks each in DC for exterior shots (down by the Capital, White House, monuments, etc).
That seems really temporary. A lot of the movies that are set in DC are actually filmed elsewhere, so I wouldn't think there would be enough work there for someone in film production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That seems really temporary. A lot of the movies that are set in DC are actually filmed elsewhere, so I wouldn't think there would be enough work there for someone in film production.

Yeah this scene supposed to be in DC seems to be in Philly

How Do You Know #2 Movie CLIP - Running From Bad News (2010) HD - YouTube

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Actually a large amount of the outdoors scenes supposed to be DC were filmed in Philly; I remember when they were doing it and also a few of the restaurant scenes were done in Philly most natable union trust

Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Actually a large amount of the outdoors scenes supposed to be DC were filmed in Philly; I remember when they were doing it and also a few of the restaurant scenes were done in Philly most natable union trust
You'd think they would have at least stopped the guy walking with the Phillies hat and flag from entering the shot.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
I don't really about care about how clean the streets are in commercial areas...but that doesn't area even look that dirty to me. Who cares? Have you ever been to Paris? There's dogs--t all over the streets. Naples, Italy is one of my favorite cities in Europe and that place is a mess... Hong Kong is worldclass in parts and parts of it are a dense chaotic mess.

Those cheap stores are great--last time I was in downtown LA I bought like 5 pairs of socks and a couple t-shirts for $5 at one of them... It was almost enough to offset the four $15 martinis I had at the bar at the Biltmore later in the afternoon... I like that downtown LA is sort of funky and a mix in parts--it's more interesting than the chain restaurants and tourist joints somewhere like Times Square. There's interesting old architecture all over the place and it still feels sort of working class Latino. With the old buildings there's a lot of opportunities for gentrification, but hopefully it doesn't end up another generic area with Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and TGIFs and that sort of thing...
I agree, it was actually a pretty cool video of DTLA.

Here you go MDAllstar - direct all of your LA hate here.

I still think LA's cooler than DC by the way, even if it has an inferior urban fabric

Old 05-22-2013, 04:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

It's pretty ironic that something set in DC would be filmed in Philly, yet "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is filmed in Los Angeles...

Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's pretty ironic that something set in DC would be filmed in Philly, yet "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is filmed in Los Angeles...
The latter seasons are. I believe most of the earlier seasons were filmed on location in Philadelphia.

But what does that matter? Seinfeld was shot in L.A., too.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
The latter seasons are. I believe most of the earlier seasons were filmed on location in Philadelphia.

At least in the later seasons, Paddy's Pub is in the Arts District / Warehouse District of DTLA - I should watch the first season and see if it is the same place.

And even though they shoot it in LA they at least make it out to Philly for a lot of the establishing shots, plus there are many shots with the actors that are definitely not LA.

What is incredible is how Los Angeles can fill in for so many different cities - including Tehran in Argo. The American Embassy in that movie is part of the VA Hospital near West LA.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Good luck OP! I was gonna recommend the better city-LA-but saw that you already decided to move there anyways.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:

It matters a ton actually. If the entire creative process of a show is taking place damn near lock, stock, and barrel in a certain location, its fictional setting becomes rather secondary in the grand scheme of things. Unless you think M.A.S.H. is a Korean show.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It matters a ton actually. If the entire creative process of a show is taking place damn near lock, stock, and barrel in a certain location, its fictional setting becomes rather secondary in the grand scheme of things. Unless you think M.A.S.H. is a Korean show.
Again, who cares? The creator of the show is from Philly and the show is set in Philly. That's the city that comes to mind when people think of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." It's the same way people think of Boston when they think of "Cheers" rather than Paramount Studios in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City