Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Francisco-San Jose the West Coast equivalent of Phialdelphia-New York City?
Yes 16 10.67%
No 134 89.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM

210 posts, read 249,773 times

Advertisements

Some guys buy a beamer to compensate for tiny "family jewels". Others proclaim there region to be the most dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM

157 posts, read 164,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Pretty sure SJ doesn't dream of being Philadelphia.
San Jose sure wins over Philadelphia in accolades. Philly needs to start performing better in rankings overall. I love Philly! As for San Jose, I don't know anything about this city.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
whoever made the one state vs 3 states is spot on

i think the west cost thinks ny>nj>pa is like ca>nm>tx

Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
whoever made the one state vs 3 states is spot on

i think the west cost thinks ny>nj>pa is like ca>nm>tx
What?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,969,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
What?
Using the same logic that's been applied to the premise of this pitiful thread, when you look at 4 states like NY-NJ-CT-PA for a metro you might as well combine CA-AZ-NM-TX, which is by most concepts the exact same thing just supersized. As far as that's concerned its not even worthy of a competition.

Either way, if what I said sounds ridiculous then you're likely right because that's how unrational that sort of logic truly is.

I don't understand how anyone could vote yes and hold their dignity or lack of.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,969,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The density of San Mateo is 617 ppsm
San Mateo County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a line of higher density; in the space between NYC and Philly is less consistent; though the NE and CA in general are developed differently

617 ppsm is about 20-25% the density of the UA of either NYC, Trenton or Philly.
This density comparison is ridiculous. I live in San Mateo county and its developed very densely from San Francisco into San Jose. The density numbers are skewed because of the mountains to the west. Unlike back east where the Appalachians are overgrown hills the mountains here are for a lack of better perspective uninhabitable. They are jagged and rough and cant be built on.

If we could developed on all that vacant land we would but we cant and as you can see to the left, its impossible to develop on
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ayareaUSGS.jpg

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
there's more going on in coney island than northern cali

Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM

65 posts, read 189,909 times
Bay Area is one entity! I live in San Jose and find myself going up the peninsula and east bay all the time.

Here's the Milpitas/Fremont border:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2072+...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA

As you can see, if there wasn't a Fremont sign there, you would have no idea you just crossed one MSA to another.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM

27,213 posts, read 28,295,642 times
I don't know what the OP's intention was with this comparison. But it is absurd to suggest that San Francisco-San Jose is the equivalent of Philadelphia-New York City.

New York City's CSA itself is 3 times the size of San Francisco-San Jose. Philadelphia's CSA itself could nearly take on San Francisco-San Jose.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't know what the OP's intention was with this comparison. But it is absurd to suggest that San Francisco-San Jose is the equivalent of Philadelphia-New York City.

New York City's CSA itself is 3 times the size of San Francisco-San Jose. Philadelphia's CSA itself could nearly take on San Francisco-San Jose.
SF/SJ closer compare to DC/Baltimore imo.

Philadelphia is certainly big enough that it enjoys it own solidarity from NYC eventhough the 2 metroes rub elbows.

This weekend in Philly Bruce Springsteen played to 100,000 people in South Philly. Meanwhile across town JAY Z & Pearl Jam headlined a 20 act Festival at the Art Museum that drew 100,000 people. The Eagles(Music Group) played Atlantic City and hundreds of thousands wound down the summer on the beaches in South Jersey. I just dont think San Jose could pull off anything remotely close to that if it is the west coast version of Philadelphia. Heck I dont even think SF could pull that off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City