Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Francisco-San Jose the West Coast equivalent of Phialdelphia-New York City?
Yes 16 10.67%
No 134 89.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM

637 posts, read 1,014,484 times

Advertisements

Since there is a huge contingent (dare I say, near majority) of posters here who think that SF and SJ MSA should be counted as one because of their proximity right next to each other.

However, thinking about distances from each other, the city limits of Phialdelphia and New York City from end to end are only 46 miles away, which is the same distance San Francisco is from San Jose downtown to downtown. Like SF-SJ, there is straight line development between Philadelphia and New York City through Central New Jersey, and increasingly, through the Lehigh Valley.

In addition, central counties of both (Mercer County for PHL-NYC, San Mateo for SF-SJ) send commuters to both areas.

And lastly, almost every single government and media publication counts San Jose and San Francisco as two different metro areas, just like Phialdelphia-New York City.

So are the two equivalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Imo, more like LA and San Diego.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Imo, more like LA and San Diego.
Technically, there isn't straight line development between LA and San Diego just yet, but could be in the near future, unlike the straight line development between NYC and Phialdelphia, or San Francisco-San Jose.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I don't see them drawing many parallels. Maybe DC- Baltimore would be a better example. The commuter rate between those are higher

btw, this one is sure to be a war in the making.

I see this drifting off into a war between SF and Philly posters talking about distance and volume of traffic on the roads, and density between towns. lol.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't see them drawing many parallels. Maybe DC- Baltimore would be a better example. The commuter rate between those are higher

btw, this one is sure to be a war in the making.

I see this drifting off into a war between SF and Philly posters talking about distance and volume of traffic on the roads, and density between towns. lol.
Well, I'm actually just curious to see what the main differences are, in light of the fact that we're dealing with comparable distances here and the fact like Philadelphia-NYC, SF-SJ are kept apart on the census.

DC-Baltimore are actually closer to each other than San Francisco-San Jose. City limit to city limit between DC-Baltimore is a little less than 30 miles.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Technically, there isn't straight line development between LA and San Diego just yet, but could be in the near future, unlike the straight line development between NYC and Phialdelphia, or San Francisco-San Jose.
Probably won't ever be due to geographic constraints and a large air force base taking up the land that would connect the two. I'm sure they would have already sprawled right into each other by now if it wasn't for the base.

One big difference is that the area between SF city limits and San Jose city limits is much more developed and significantly denser than the areas between NY and Philly.

Another thing to note as NY has huge city limits. (If SF was NY the entire peninsula would be in SF city limits, making San Jose and San Francisco city limits nearly touch).
The distance between Philly and NY CBDs is 79 miles (as the crow flies)
The distance between SF and SJ's CBDs is 41 miles (as the crow flies)

Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
San Jose is bigger than SF for one thing.

I think SF and Sacramento, or LA and San Diego are better analogies to NY and Philly even if the distances don't match.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
San Jose is bigger than SF for one thing.

I think SF and Sacramento, or LA and San Diego are better analogies to NY and Philly even if the distances don't match.
another reason why DC- Balt would be a better example.

Balt is bigger than DC in the city but smaller in Metro just like SF and SJ.

also Philly and NY are similar in build but SF and SJ are strikingly different just like DC and Balt

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

Well, I don't think so. There's way too much undeveloped land between LA/SD and SF/Sacramento that there isn't between NY and Philadelphia

Google Maps (/?ll=38.416885,-121.878495&spn=0.272224,0.591202&t=m&z=11&layer=c& cbll=38.416885,-121.878495&panoid=_yDc61bhDmx-z5U3DSm89Q&cbp=12,13.69,,0,17.39 - broken link) (straight line between SF and Sacramento)

Google Maps (/?ll=33.326916,-117.489576&spn=0.2926,0.591202&t=m&z=11&layer=c&cb ll=33.326916,-117.489576&panoid=oGjQjL5NAPPmFvlWg9Tk2A&cbp=12,40 .39,,0,7.89 - broken link) (straight line between LA and San Diego)

There aren't too many spots like that in Central New Jersey, Howard County, or even Lake/Kenosha Counties between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

One big difference is that the area between SF city limits and San Jose city limits is much more developed and significantly denser than the areas between NY and Philly.
At the end of the day, both are connected by development no matter how dense the development may be.

Quote:
Another thing to note as NY has huge city limits. (If SF was NY the entire peninsula would be in SF city limits, making San Jose and San Francisco city limits nearly touch).
The distance between Philly and NY CBDs is 79 miles (as the crow flies)
The distance between SF and SJ's CBDs is 41 miles (as the crow flies)
That is true, but it's not like San Jose's city limits don't sprawl either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
another reason why DC- Balt would be a better example.

Balt is bigger than DC in the city but smaller in Metro just like SF and SJ.

also Philly and NY are similar in build but SF and SJ are strikingly different just like DC and Balt
Well, I think the huge difference between SF/SJ and DC/Balt is that SF and SJ, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) generally share the same television and radio stations, while DC/Baltimore are in their own separate media markets.

Hell, if the Baltimore Ravens were located in Prince George's County, I doubt people would still want to keep "Baltimore" in the name, while the San Francisco 49ers are moving to an area right next to San Jose and are keeping San Francisco in the name.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
SF to SJ is around 45 miles downtown to downtown, NYC to Philly is almost 100 miles. There is no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City