Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times

Advertisements

New Orleans - French Quarter
Las Vegas Strip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,905,620 times
Why is everyone equating clubbing and bars with "24-hour cities"? How often do city-data'ers go to clubs until 4am? 5, 6,...7 days per week?!? 24-hour city shouldn't mean "Which city has the latest last call?".

To me what makes a city "24-hours" is the other stuff. Having restaurants, retail, etc open 24 hours so that us regular people can do what we do at any time. Bars and clubs are only a small part of it.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,315,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Why is everyone equating clubbing and bars with "24-hour cities"? How often do city-data'ers go to clubs until 4am? 5, 6,...7 days per week?!? 24-hour city shouldn't mean "Which city has the latest last call?".

To me what makes a city "24-hours" is the other stuff. Having restaurants, retail, etc open 24 hours so that us regular people can do what we do at any time. Bars and clubs are only a small part of it.
Whats the fascination with cities being open 24 hrs a day? With manufacturing jobs you get 24/7 workers not partiers.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,718 times
Quote:

Yep. Its pretty juvenile.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,289,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yep. Its pretty juvenile.
Alright, fancy pants. Anyway, if every other continent stays up later as so many posters suggest, then why is 24-hour rapid transit so rare outside of the US? It's pretty much just New York, Chicago and oddly enough, Copenhagen.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
New York is the only city I'd consider to be truly 24 hours. There is a lot to do in this city at the oddest hours of the night. Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas are just 24 hour party cities.

Chicago and LA probably have the most potential to become 24 hour cities as there a decent amount of stuff open and people still walking/driving around in both cities at very late/very early hours, but they're both still far behind the 24 hour life that NY has.

Other big cities such as SF, Philly, Boston, DC, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are nowhere near being 24 hour cities in my honest opinion, and I don't think they will be any time soon. Any one of them could be late-night party cities like European cities if they extended bar hours.

There aren't THAT MANY 24 cities in the world when you really think about it. And in my experience, the overwhelming majority of them seem to be in Asia and Latin America, and New York looks like a sleepy town in comparison to many of them. Most cities in Europe (with the exception of Spain) aren't what I'd personally consider to be 24 hour cities, they just have bars and clubs that are open into the morning like Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas.

Last edited by jayp1188; 03-30-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philadelphia has a bill in city council to extend drinking hours to 4AM 7 days a week and after hours licences to 6AM
I hope there is a provision in that bill to ramp up police patrols during those hours....

Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We know all about the current 24 hr American cities like New York or Vegas. What other American cities are in the process of developing more of a 24 hr culture? What cities are changing their laws and building establishments that will foster a 24 hr environment? Having a 24 hr scene brings in a ton a revenue and in these hard fiscal times, I'm sure many cities are exploring new revenue streams that will add vibrancy to their respective cities.

D.C. is changing last call to 3:00 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends city wide by the end of the year. It's estimated to raise an additional 5 million dollars in FY 2013. D.C. also just opened the cities first 24 hour/7 days a week restaurant/live music venue "The Hamilton" which will benefit greatly from this change. Venues like this can foster big changes to the landscape of a city. I'm sure there are similar ventures going on across the country.

-What cities are buildings on their nightlife scene and changing the culture of their cities to foster more of a 24 hr scene?

-List any law changes or interesting venues that are changing the landscape of your cities.
I'm sorry, but the idea of having large numbers of intoxicated and high people carousing all day and night is not wise. Furthermore, the U.S. did not become a superpower by being followers!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:

You know nightlife includes retail and restaurants right?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM

637 posts, read 1,006,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post

There aren't THAT MANY 24 cities in the world when you really think about it. And in my experience, the overwhelming majority of them seem to be in Asia and Latin America, and New York looks like a sleepy town in comparison to many of them. Most cities in Europe (with the exception of Spain) aren't what I'd personally consider to be 24 hour cities, they just have bars and clubs that are open into the morning like Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas.
Yeah. I think the vast majority of the world works during the day, so its not like for the vast majority of people, being up at odd hours of the night is very feasible.

That being said, having more offerings at nice would be night. But it really does hammer home the fact that the US is a country predicated on business first.

In addition, the fact of a matter is, most last call laws are in place because of the prevalence of drunk drivers at night. Most US cities don't have the public transportation infrastructure to support a huge propensity of intoxicated people just yet.

Its interesting because with a large amount of Latin American and Asian immigrants in the US, you'd think there'd be a larger push for more 24 hour offerings from them. But instead, nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City