Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,366,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
To be fair, most of Latin America is not 24 hours, only places like Argentina, Brazil and a couple of others are like that.
I agree most latin cities are 11am until 4am cities. Not much going on the next mornin after you have dinner at 2am. What is considered the most productive latin city anyway? Inverse correlation with 24 hrs cities I bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM

739 posts, read 1,184,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Surprisingly most crime happens around 3 P.M.-9 P.M.... most crime doesn't happen late at night if you can believe it or not... at least those are the peak hours for Philadelphia. I don't know about other places.

i was thinking more on the lines of drunk driving. Some of the worst accidents are during the wee/early hours of the morning....

Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,868,201 times
I think a convincing argument could be made for Atlantic City.

Also, an entire category that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is college towns. Kids go out pretty late - 12, 12:30, 1. And a lot of food places stay open for at least an hour past last call to profit from starving drunk kids who need to fill their stomachs.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,868,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I think a convincing argument could be made for Atlantic City.

Also, an entire category that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is college towns. Kids go out pretty late - 12, 12:30, 1. And a lot of food places stay open for at least an hour past last call to profit from starving drunk kids who need to fill their stomachs.
Good point.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM

637 posts, read 1,011,226 times
I think a fair question to ask is what percentage of Americans ARE up between the hours of 12 AM-6 AM? Hell, even slim that down to most metro areas.

I'll be surprised if it reaches 5-10%, tops. Maybe 15-20% on weekends, and that's being very generous.

If American cities were to support the infrastructure for a 24 hour city, how much would it be utilized? I actually think this is a cultural thing that needs to be addressed before proceeding.

Even most of New York City is asleep at night. Don't be fooled by the tourists who are out and about in a subsection of Manhattan, the vast majority of people are in their apartments and houses sleeping.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM

771 posts, read 1,391,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree most latin cities are 11am until 4am cities. Not much going on the next mornin after you have dinner at 2am. What is considered the most productive latin city anyway? Inverse correlation with 24 hrs cities I bet.
I agree. You can't have it both ways. For instant the Spanish and the Argentines have such a laid back attitude to work and stay out so late can be one of the reasons that both their economies have suffered so much as compared to other countries who have done better.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,106,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I agree. You can't have it both ways. For instant the Spanish and the Argentines have such a laid back attitude to work and stay out so late can be one of the reasons that both their economies have suffered so much as compared to other countries who have done better.
Spain was actually doing fantastically well up until the recession. Argentina has weathered the recession well, and it's an arguable case that Argentina (which was once of the wealthiest nations in the world) ended up falling behind due to insurgencies and coups supported by certain foreign governments which ended up massively destabilizing the country. There's also that whole IMF thing that got Argentina in a bad place, but seems now to have worked out as a good long-term decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City