Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Area that is most international and cosmopolitan
Florida 24 22.02%
Texas 20 18.35%
Northern California 65 59.63%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times

Advertisements

I'd also argue that Miami is a MUCH larger draw for immigrants than any city in Texas or Northern California is, because a much larger swath of people from their societies, instead of those who happen to be well off, end up immigrating to Miami.

What Miami has is a complete replication of society in Latin America, albeit with an American twist (and even there, between the Southern influence coming from the native born non-Caribbean blacks and Florida Whites and the Northeastern transplants is amazing)

What you see in Northern California is a bifurcated society: the poor of Mexico and Central America + the upper classes of Asia jumbled together under the control of native born American Whites. At least in Texas, though lacking in the diverse foreign born department by country, you have the poor, middle, and upper classes of Mexico, India, Vietnam, Nigeria, etc. coming together mixing into the cultural milleu of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Was the racial slur really necessary? I don't think so.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
I'd also argue that Miami is a MUCH larger draw for immigrants than any city in Texas or Northern California is, because a much larger swath of people from their societies, instead of those who happen to be well off, end up immigrating to Miami.

What Miami has is a complete replication of society in Latin America, albeit with an American twist (and even there, between the Southern influence coming from the native born non-Caribbean blacks and Florida crackers and the Northeastern transplants is amazing)
Yes, that is a great observation. There are large and visible communities of pretty much every single Latin American country concentrated in a small area (Miami-Dade County). White Hispanics, black Hispanics, mestizos, Amerindians, rich, middle class, poor, every kind of Latin you can think of can be found in Miami. The tropical environment only adds to the "foreignness" of it all.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Was the racial slur really necessary? I don't think so.
Ameded my post, sorry. I always heard the native born Southern based Florida whites referred that way.

Quote:
Yes, that is a great observation. There are large and visible communities of pretty much every single Latin American country concentrated in a small area (Miami-Dade County). White Hispanics, black Hispanics, mestizos, Amerindians, rich, middle class, poor, every kind of Latin you can think of can be found in Miami. The tropical environment only adds to the "foreignness" of it all.
It really is a replication of Latin American society. It may not be "diverse' in the strictest sense of the word a la New York City, but its definitely foreign and international.

Though the California natural environment is definitely unique and is hard to replicate throughout the rest of the US, it's still decidedly American.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Someone brought up Hialeah, FL. What it is cosmopolitan about a city where 94% is from one racial group?

Furthermore, it seems like a place that most don't aspire to live in.

Fremont is the same size as Hialeah but Fremont has one of the top school districts in the state of California, one of the largest concentrations of million dollar homes in California and is nearly 75% NON WHITE.

I wouldnt consider Hialeah to be more cosmopolitan than Fremont.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Someone brought up Hialeah, FL. What it is cosmopolitan about a city where 94% is from one racial group?

Fremont is the same size as Hialeah but Fremont has one of the top school districts in the state of California, one of the largest concentrations of million dollar homes in California and is nearly 75% NON WHITE.

First of all, what's with the fixation on income? Again, why is it bad to be a poor immigrant?

Look at the foreign born numbers: Hialeah has a higher percentage of foreign born than Fremont.

In addition, look at the origins of the foreign born. The vast majority of Fremont's foreign born are from 3-4 countries in Asia (China, India, maybe Philippines) + Mexico, while Hialeah is not only Cuban, but has Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Colombians, Hondurans, Dominicans, etc.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Why is it bad to be a poor immigrant?
Cosmopolitan means lower income, middle income and upper income, not just poor people.

I am starting to think that immigrants and minorities are more empowered in NorCal.

Quote:
Look at the foreign born numbers.
Born in Europe
Fremont, CA 3,689
Hialeah, FL 1,138

Born in Asia
Fremont, CA 73,070
Hialeah, FL 319

Born in Africa
Fremont, CA 1,030
Hialeah, FL 39

Born in Oceania
Fremont, CA 929
Hialeah, FL 0

Born in Latin America
Hialeah, FL 162,570
Fremont, CA 10,506

Born in Canada
Fremont, CA 972
Hialeah, FL 99

While both immigrant populations are dominated by one group, Fremont has more of every group except Latin Americans.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
Quote:

Hialeah is definitely not cosmopolitan. It's a working class suburb, nothing more nothing less, it's not particularly attractive and is not rich by any means. What is interesting about it is that is in many ways a recreation of island life in Cuba. You have extended families and friends, many times from the same Cuban province, all living together in a major suburb of a large American city (Hialeah is the 6th largest city in Florida). You also have other Latin communities there (even though they complain sometimes about the "Cubaneria" (Cubanness) in Hialeah). That qualifies as international to me.

I do find it kinda funny discussing Hialeah, though, many Miami residents have a low opinion of the city and associate it with "Chusma" (lower class people) and Santeria (voodoo). Nevertheless, it can be charming sometimes in its own way and it's definitely unique.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Hialeah is definitely not cosmopolitan. It's a working class suburb, nothing more nothing less, it's not particularly attractive and is not rich by any means. What is interesting about it is that is in many ways a recreation of island life in Cuba. You have extended families and friends, many times from the same Cuban province, all living together in a major suburb of a large American city (Hialeah is the 6th largest city in Florida). You also have other Latin communities there (even though they complain sometimes about the "Cubaneria" (Cubanness) in Hialeah). That qualifies as international to me.

I do find it kinda funny discussing Hialeah, though, many Miami residents have a low opinion of the city and associate it with "Chusma" (lower class people) and Santeria (voodoo). Nevertheless, it can be charming sometimes in its own way and it's definitely unique.
I do respect your opinion. We are just looking at this from different perspectives.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Cosmopolitan means lower income, middle income and upper income, not just poor people.
No, cosmopolitan means having elements from all over. Income has little to do with it, though Miami's foreign and native born ran the gamut from rich to poor, while the Bay Area barely has a middle class nowadays.

Quote:
I am starting to think that immigrants and minorities are more empowered in NorCal.
Yeah, lets ignore the fact that one of the senators from Florida is the child of Cuban immigrants.

Let's ignore the fact that for the past 50 years, the Latin American community has been represented in politics all over South Florida. The mayor
of Miami has for the past 30 years been from the Latin American community

Let's ignore the fact that many congressional representatives from South Florida are from the Latin American community.

Let's ignore the fact that Brickell, a upper class area of Miami, has large numbers of Latin Americans and non-Hispanic Caribbean people represented there.

If that isn't empowerment, I don't know what is.

Quote:
While both immigrant populations are dominated by one group, Fremont has more of every group except Latin Americans.
Yeah, but I'm willing to bet that if you break it down country by country, there are still MORE countries represented in Hialeah than Fremont.

And again, Hialeah has more foreign born in raw numbers and percentage than Fremont. Your numbers confirm it.

Miami is basically a Latin American society geographically located in an Anglo-American country. If that isn't international, I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City