Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times

Advertisements

Dubstep has a pretty cool sound...I get it. Dubstep has been around for a pretty long time, but it never took off mainstream until the dark, bass wobble sound came around. It borrows heavily from dark drum n bass. The scene looks similar too, whereas trance and house tend to attract a different crowd. I prefer drum n bass to dubstep myself, but that sound never took off like this in the States. If I were younger I would probably be into dubstep big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
It's a love/hate thing with this generation and Dub-step. I know plenty of Dub-step lovers who are in their early 20's mid 20's and alot of Dubstep haters in the same age range. So it's not just some "Well the old fogies just don't understand that music" or "The old people just don't understand music that doesn't require a guitar." Alot of the young people don't like it either. Like when Dave Grohl kinda talked about how not everything needs to be produced on a computer and that you can still make raw music. Alot of people called him out on it(especially after he performed with Skrillex and Deadmaus) and called him an old man for his critique. But many young people feel the same way.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM

359 posts, read 329,281 times
dave grohl can NOT make raw music

Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
dave grohl can NOT make raw music
Well he did contribute to raw music at one time, from the seat of a drumset.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the first way a lot of people found out about dubstep was through this guy:

Is it all that hard to hate/make fun of a guy who looks like that?

Me too.

You just haven't heard good electronic music.

That isn't house music! It's europop.

House music is wholly different genre that it's roots in disco, funk and soul that started in Chicago in the mid-80s. Everything else that has been placed in the house space (rightfully) is either an imitation of that or an extension of it. The only improvement of the genre was what was born out of New York shortly after called garage house that infused gospel vocals and latin beats.

I am in 100% agreement about your comment about pop songs these days. Every time I turn on the radio it's like I'm at some late 90s eurodisco rave (shiny faux patent leather and all). I can't hate though. It's making some folks a lot of cash. If you are going to make your profession, that's good for them.
Especially Pitbul and LMFAO (the group).

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
God, I hate LMFAO. And Pitbull used to be a completely different rapper. Now he's been swept up in the dance craze. Just like his Miami homey Flo Rida.

Old Pitbull:

Pitbull - Dammit Man - YouTube

Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
I hate Skrillex and I hate how dubstep has now made its was through mainstream music.

As for cities, I would think NYC, LA, Miami would fit in that category. Idk about the last 2 cities.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM

83 posts, read 180,566 times
yay dubstep!

1) Vegas
2) Miami (could be switched)

3) LA
4) NYC

5) dunno(SF? Chicago?) someone help me out

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,484 times
Anyways, how are we ranking best cities anyways? Seems kind of loose thing to define.

Based on what?
Local artists? (Skrillex looks like he's from LA and SF, at least according to Wiki)
Club scene?
Types of people listening to the music?

People are just throwing out the usual suspects as if its supposed to mean something.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
God, I hate LMFAO. And Pitbull used to be a completely different rapper. Now he's been swept up in the dance craze. Just like his Miami homey Flo Rida.

Old Pitbull:

Pitbull - Dammit Man - YouTube
You know whats funny though? A lot of people think he started rapping in 2008/09 after "calle ocho" came out. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City