Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollaathenry View Post
yay dubstep!

1) Vegas
2) Miami (could be switched)

3) LA
4) NYC

5) dunno(SF? Chicago?) someone help me out
Dubstep pretty much obliterated my beloved DnB scene in Chicago, so boo-hiss on that.

I know the Congress Theater (4,000 capacity) sells or nearly sells out for all the big touring Dubstep headliners here. Don't know much what goes on locally in terms of djs, production or club nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Dubstep pretty much obliterated my beloved DnB scene in Chicago, so boo-hiss on that.

I know the Congress Theater (4,000 capacity) sells or nearly sells out for all the big touring Dubstep headliners here. Don't know much what goes on locally in terms of djs, production or club nights.

Don't fret too much. As is the case with so many trends dubstep is already on its way out the door.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 PM

398 posts, read 750,766 times
Can't stand dubstep... I love progressive house, some forms of techno, tribal house, some trance etc... have been into since the mid 90s... Dubstep makes my ears want to bleed. I hated UK garage also...and definitely not the biggest fan of jungle but some tracks are okay and have some groove to it, dubstep ECHHHHKKK

Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,102 times
i like house, industrial, dubstep, dnb and hip hop

Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Dubstep came in out of nowhere.
So annoying.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Haha, its all good. I think it's a generational thing.

I'll probably think my kid's taste in music and clothes are stupid as well, but hey, to each their own. As long as they don't harm anyone else with it, then by all means, go for it.

To be fair, most modern pop music sounds like a mix between a cat screeching to the sound of a banjo with the rhythmic stylings of a jackhammer going through a bulletproof reinforced steel door.
This.

I was born in the early 80's and was raised on Hip Hop. However, old heads always looked down on Hip Hop because rappers usually didn't compose actual music, play instruments or sing. All rappers did was speak in rhymes over looped samples of old R&B, Pop, Disco and Jazz records from the 70's and early 80's. Rappers didn't play instruments or sing because Hip Hop came about in the rough post Civil-Rights era of the late 70's where inner cities across the country had become poorer and more dangerous as jobs shriveled up with factories shutting down and relocating overseas; Reaganomics and the advent of Crack Cocaine would ravage these places in the years to come which directly influenced the raw menacing sound of Gangsta Rap that emerged during this time. Compared to composed music with actual singing and playing of live instruments, Hip Hop sounded downright lazy to older folks hearing their favorite songs being butchered by young hoodlums on the mic. Many people in my generation were never even exposed to the types of "real" music that rappers sampled because this music had quickly become extremely obscure by the time we had become old enough to start discovering popular music. Also, the message in much of 80's and 90's Hip Hop was much more vulgar, violent and x-rated compared to the more care-free feel-good music of the older generation.

Similarly, as the Hip Hop spawn of late Generation X and early Generation Y get older, we look at the new crop of kids like they listen to crap. We say things like "at least Hip Hop had a message" and we comment on old Hip Hop videos on Youtube saying "kids these days listen to crap". We're becoming old just like our parents, uncles and aunts with their dusty records and outdated clothes and hairstyles in old family photo albums. I can't really say I like Dubstep. It's quirky and hard to even dance to.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 04-03-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
This.

I was born in the early 80's and was raised on Hip Hop. However, old heads
Haha, someone's too cool for school.

Anyway, anyone who had reservations about hip-hop to begin with has probably not fully embraced it even now, and thus will not be impressed by your argument here. I've heard it too many times to count: "I like everything except rap and country". The greatest success a rapper or country singer can aspire to is the "crossover hit", that is, crossing over to the mainstream, since generally they are not mainstream, though in both cases their fans are bit more loyal than others.

What I'm saying is some genres just have limits to their appeal, regardless of generation or whatever. And dance music is even more limited than most (at least in America, which is still the global heavyweight in music and entertainment), though maybe one day it will get bigger.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Anyways, how are we ranking best cities anyways? Seems kind of loose thing to define.

Based on what?
Local artists? (Skrillex looks like he's from LA and SF, at least according to Wiki)
Club scene?
Types of people listening to the music?

People are just throwing out the usual suspects as if its supposed to mean something.
I agree, but you bring up a very good point: How did the dubstep scene in the United States (really, most of it is brostep) come about?

First thing though is that you must go back to how it used to be. In previous times, in order to become a musician you had only a few choice of cities to go to because that's where the music companies were. Either it was New York or Los Angeles for pretty much everything, with notable exceptions to Nashville, Detroit and Chicago. If you did not go to those cities to sign with a record label then there was no way to market your band, produce a record, get records pressed, basically you would not be able to get your music out to the public. Likewise, because of the stranglehold record companies held, if they did not approve of the music you could not hear it unless you lived in a city where a scene was present.

When 80s rolled around, artists discovered that they could get their music out via videos rather than just records alone. This began to break the record company monopoly as now anyone could buy a video recorder and make a video, and we began to see these brand new record label startups that would have been impossible to create before the advent of this technology. It also became less important to be in one of the historically "cities to be in" for music. Major scenes for all sorts of genres started producing high selling albums and throughout the 80s and 90s, new cities came along as "places to be" to make music such as Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, Boston, Houston, etc. Basically, coming in to the last decade we had moved past having to "move to a town" to be a part of a scene or be succesful in music.

That brings us to today where we have yet another technological advent that has reinvented (and almost destroyed) the classical music industry/scene structure: the Internet. Gone are the days where there are specific rules about how music is made, how people found about it, or how a sound even develops, and how it ties to a city.

The interesting thing with this dubstep craze is that if one steps back and looks at how it became popular in the United States, it was all because of the Internet. Not because of some enterprising group of DJs in some warehouse on the bad side of town started mixing the sound, but rather out of the sound being passed around virally on social media and other interactive outlets.

Skrillex (while sucking at everything else) is perhaps the best of example of this. As the poster above said, what dubstep scene does Skrillex represent? Don't take too long thinking about that as there isn't one. He owes all of fame to his "music" being passed around on the Internet. He does have a record deal, but he was able to channel his online popularity into a sold out 50 day/50 city tour last year. No record company would ever do that, but because his fans demanded it, he was able to make that trip.

So to me, since dubstep was born not because of one city's scene, asking which city has the best one isn't really relevant. It's 2012, if you want to hear music that's not on the radio or MTV (not that they play music anymore), all you need to do is go to Youtube.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
YouTube is both great and bad. With YouTube, you don't have to be sucked into the mainstream if you're dissatisfied with where popular music is going. But on the flip side, with so many people making music, you kinda gotta surf though a large dark cloud of monotony/boring parodies of popular artist/mediocre covers/wannabes/etc, etc to find a true gem, or to find something that fits you. Be honest, how many times have you tried to find a video, only for it to not be the video or song you were looking for? Or maybe it was a terrible cover of a popular song? Or it was a boring cover? Negarive comments and dislikes out the wood work. Just spending hours looking for music you like. It's like TV on the Comp. Flipping through MTV and music videos looking for something. It creates more freedom and more monotony at the same time, because people who perform on YouTube, who perform away from the major labels, away from the mainstream, are still being influenced by the mainstream, and trying to get a deal to become part of that mainstream.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
The whole amyle house, dub step, jungle thing is pretty old news in Boulder..The scene was at it's peak around 1991-1993 back than.
I personally find repetative 808 loops more exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City